C Ryan Poehling - St. Cloud State, NCAA (2017, 25th, MTL)

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
First rounder? I doubt it. Drafted? Maybe. Don't know him, just going by statistics. Looks like he matched his brothers' stats and they never got drafted, although he is bigger.

Ovechkin962

Aug 25, 2010
Riley Tufte had similar stats last year and is going in the first round. Considering it's suppose to be a weak draft next year, if he has a great season, I could see him going in the first round.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
First rounder? I doubt it. Drafted? Maybe. Don't know him, just going by statistics. Looks like he matched his brothers' stats and they never got drafted, although he is bigger.

His HS/USHL numbers are a lot better than his brothers for their age.

At Ryan's age (D-1 season) neither of his brothers were in the USHL. They both only played there for a few games in their Draft season. Ryan is already playing in there in his D-1 season.

The Exiled One

Sep 1, 2006
State of Hockey
www.dahuskies.com
There is no guarantee that Ryan will play full time in Lincoln next year. He may return to Lakeville North HS, though my guess is he plays in Lincoln.

Barring a breakout year in the USHL, he won't get drafted in the first round.

I'm hoping he'll be an excellent college player. Odds are good that he'll at least be better than average.

He is, IMHO, a bit overlooked because he committed to SCSU rather than North Dakota or Minnesota. However, even I'm not homer enough to predict he'll be a first rounder.

FYI, St. Cloud's highest draft pick ever was Matt Cullen at 39th. We typically don't have those kinds of players in our pipeline. Ryan may be that player, but I doubt it.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
He is closer to a first rounder than undrafted.

WreckItRask

Mar 5, 2007
Minnesota
Riley Tufte had similar stats last year and is going in the first round. Considering it's suppose to be a weak draft next year, if he has a great season, I could see him going in the first round.

Poehling is good, and will likely get drafted, but he's not remotely close to Tufte as a prospect.

The Exiled One

Sep 1, 2006
State of Hockey
www.dahuskies.com

This is the first time SCSU has had a player prior to their initial draft eligibility. Typically you find those players at BC, BU, Wisconsin, and the like. I'd imagine that if he does well in the NCAA, it will have a profound impact on his draft stock. I guess we'll find out.

SalVitro

Nov 6, 2014
witness protection
I've seen him play in the USHL. He's pretty good, but still only a 99 birthdate, so it's seems a little pre-mature to basically go from high school hockey straight to NCAA. That's a huge leap. Especially when lots of kids are gaming the system and going in as 21yr old freshman.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Chmelevski (7 points), Pastujov (7 points), Poehling (4-0-4), and Lodnia (3 points) are the only players with more than a point so far.

In the 8-1 exhibition before the tournament, Poehling had 4-0-4 and Pastujov had 2-2-4. Lodnia had 1-2-3. Chmelevski had two assists.

Seems like these four have been tearing it up.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Should be really fun for you as a SCSU fan to see 3 brothers all begin with the program at the same time, especially because they're likely to be some of the better players on the team. Reminds me of the Spinks at Colgate University.

As an RPI fan I've seen a lot of the Spink's the last few years in the ECAC. They're alright but not as good as Ryan will be.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Button seems insanely high on this kid, can any people more familiar with Minnesota HS hockey give me a breakdown on this kid? Seems to be an interesting case to follow throughout the year. I tend to follow prospects pretty closely, and I know next to nothing about him, so it was a bit of a shock to see him at 4. Thanks in advance.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Does St. Cloud have a good hockey program?
They are on the upswing. Seem to be a team of overachievers, but are starting to bring in better recruits now. They are historically viewed as the 2nd tier program in Minnesota (aka the nickname Jan Brady State), but they have had strong seasons recently. They seem at the very least to be a consistent tournament team.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Button seems insanely high on this kid, can any people more familiar with Minnesota HS hockey give me a breakdown on this kid? Seems to be an interesting case to follow throughout the year. I tend to follow prospects pretty closely, and I know next to nothing about him, so it was a bit of a shock to see him at 4. Thanks in advance.

Button REALLY likes international tournaments and he called Poehling the best player at the Hlinka. He performed very well, but I doubt he's this widely regarded at this point. Either way, I hope Poehling validates the hype.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad