C Ryan Poehling - St. Cloud State, NCAA (2017, 25th, MTL)

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Absolutely nothing about him reminds me of Sheahan, except they are both hockey players, and will be approximately the same size, and had similar draft years as young players in the NCAA.

Poehling has way more puck skill and vision. His shot is NHL quality and Sheahan's is absolutely not. Poehling's hockey IQ far outstrips Sheahan - for a pass first player that Sheahan is supposed to be, he creates few, few chances. He's a plugger who never developed any tangible offensive skills.

I can't believe you think a guy with 81 games in a row with no goals has a good shot?????

Sheahan is more physical along the boards but, as you stated, he's also more of a perimeter player. Poehling drives the net but does need to improve on that, as well as his two-way play in his own zone. Especially as a C.

Bottom line: Sheahan is a 4th liner who flatters to deceive while Poehling will be a top-six forward.

They absolutely are similar...Sheahan had amazing puck skills when he was growing up, and a good shot. NHL is a different animal.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Please

Sheahan D+1: 22 pts in 40 games, 5 goals (must be a great shooter)
Poehling D+1: 31 pts in 36 games, 14 goals

If only it were that simple. I’m projectinf there tools not statistics. Let’s also not forget where Sheahan played...

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Well it’s pretty telling. Poehling has scored more goals this year than Sheahan has in his D+1 and D+2 years combined.

You clearly haven’t seen Poehling play if you think he’s similar to Sheahan.

Poehling isn't that great a shooter either tbh. Close range and deflections is where he makes his money

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
You clearly haven’t seen Poehling play if you think he’s similar to Sheahan.

I love posts like this “You don’t think my favourite prospect is as good as I do so you clearly haven’t seen him play...”

I project Poehling as a 3rd or 4th line centre, not a first or second. I don’t think he has the offensive game to play on the top 2 lines effectively in the NHL. Maybe he’s better then Riley Sheehan, but I think he’s going to end up far closer to Sheehan then say Ryan O’Reilly. Detroit fans probably thought they were getting a 2nd line centre in Sheahan as well.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
I love posts like this “You don’t think my favourite prospect is as good as I do so you clearly haven’t seen him play...”

I project Poehling as a 3rd or 4th line centre, not a first or second. I don’t think he has the offensive game to play on the top 2 lines effectively in the NHL. Maybe he’s better then Riley Sheehan, but I think he’s going to end up far closer to Sheehan then say Ryan O’Reilly. Detroit fans probably thought they were getting a 2nd line centre in Sheahan as well.
Contrarily to Sheahan, where it was pretty obvious a year after the draft that his offensive upside was limited, Poehling has shown a lot centering one of the top teams in the NCAA. And he was a man amongst boys at development camp this year.

There’s just no comparable with Sheahan. ROR is pushing it but Jordan Staal is very much a possibility.

Reactions: MatthewFlames

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica

Um, yeah, I'm a Flames fan, not even a Habs fan - but love it when I read posts of "the team I hate has a good prospect so I'm just gonna spend all my time making up shit when I've never even seen him play"

Poehling is, at the same stage of his development as Sheehan, light years ahead of where Sheehan was, or ever will be. They don't play similar style games at all. It's a lazy comparison based on similar size, being drafted in similar positions and having similar draft year numbers in the NCAA.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Um, yeah, I'm a Flames fan, not even a Habs fan - but love it when I read posts of "the team I hate has a good prospect so I'm just gonna spend all my time making up **** when I've never even seen him play"

Poehling is, at the same stage of his development as Sheehan, light years ahead of where Sheehan was, or ever will be. They don't play similar style games at all. It's a lazy comparison based on similar size, being drafted in similar positions and having similar draft year numbers in the NCAA.

Yet I’m pumping jesperi kotkaniemi in his thread, yep I am a habs hater forsure...this never seen him play is such a trash argument, he’s a kid whose played for his country at the U18s and U20s.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Kesler was a chippy player in his rookie year, also fought Iginla as a 21 year old. Kesler had a lot of guts to do that as a 21 year old checker.
so you are comparing a player who couldn't fight in the NCAA until he reached the NHL to a player currently in the NCAA???? My mind is f***ing blown.

I say it again - it took Kelser until he reached the NHL level to figure out his game, I see the same in Poehling - he will be a tough as nails two way center JUST like Ryan Kesler.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
so you are comparing a player who couldn't fight in the NCAA until he reached the NHL to a player currently in the NCAA???? My mind is ****ing blown.

I say it again - it took Kelser until he reached the NHL level to figure out his game, I see the same in Poehling - he will be a tough as nails two way center JUST like Ryan Kesler.
Id rather hed be good enough to score 40 goals and have 70 points and win a Selke than just be tough as nails.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I have serious doubt he ever scores more than 25 in the NHL and I don't know about his chippiness, it's usually something youre born with.
my point is this - nobody saw with Ryan Kelser what he became. He wasnt that at the NCAA level or prior - some players out of the NCAA morph into something different because the game allows for something different. I am not saying Poehling will be completely different, but he has the chance to be every bit the good of Kesler who himself took a few years to become.

Who knows what happens here, but I would not cut him short is all I am saying. Kesler is a reasonable ceiling for the kid.

North Country

Oct 24, 2012
We're just starting to see glimpses of his capabilities, since the jump from a underage high schooler to the college level was quite a jump. I see him being a skill guy in the NHL but it might take a couple years to happen. Has all the tools and was a pond rat growing up so has very good instincts and creativity. Good size for his skill set too.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
so you are comparing a player who couldn't fight in the NCAA until he reached the NHL to a player currently in the NCAA???? My mind is ****ing blown.

I also see a lot of Ryan Kesler in his play. People have been talking a lot about his point production in this thread but his play goes way beyond that. The ice was tilted in his favor constantly throughout the year. He was a dominant 2 way player, as an 18-19 year old, playing as the first line center, for the one of the best NCAA teams in the country. Just a beast and I think he's underrated by many because his game isn't "flashy", even though he's proven he is capable of it. He prefers to play a safe, surgical style which usually translates well to the pros.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I definitely see the kesler comparable, I don't think he'll ever score 75 points but year in year out I can see a 45-55pt two way centre with a mean streak, that doesn't seem improbable at this point.

Reactions: irunthepeg

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I think he is the most underrated center at prospect in NHL.

He is going to be a stud in NHL level, hockey IQ is very important and like Kotkaniemi, he got amazing hockey IQ. I think the only thing he can be better is at shot.

Hockey IQ + His defensive play + Maturity, he got all that.

I think he is going to be a excellent #2 in the future with Montreal Canadiens.

I'm laugh so hard with comparison Poehling/Sheahan in this thread. Just come on. Poehling looks like a beast at center. He is going to be a amazing center for Habs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad