C Ryan Poehling - St. Cloud State, NCAA (2017, 25th, MTL)

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I believe what I originally said was incorrect, I was thinking that they would own his rights for 4 years, as they would with every college player. I was thinking his Freshman year (17), sophomore year (18), junior year (19), senior year (20). However, that’s incorrect as you can’t count his Freshman year (17) since he wasn’t drafted by them yet and the draft wouldn’t have taken place. So while he could have a college degree in his back pocket at 20, he can’t be a free agent due to the fact that 4 seasons wouldn’t have passed since the draft. He’d have to sit out a season basically or play somewheres else for a season before he could become an FA. I was wrong.

The ruling is actually that they retain their rights for exactly 30 days after a player graduates from college. The four year thing is usually stated because most players don't go to college until their D+1 so logically they have 4 years until they graduate.

The ruling officially states.

If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19, who had received a Bona Fide Offer in accordance with Section 8.6(a)(ii) above, becomes a bona fide college student prior to the second June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft and remains a bona fide college student through the graduation of his college class, his drafting Club shall retain the exclusive rights of negotiation for his services through and including the August 15 following the graduation of his college class.

Since Poehling was already a college student when he was drafted, he meets the criteria of being a college student prior to the second June 1st following his selection. And as such once he graduates from college, which is the stipulation, there is no 4 year term stipulation, it is actually graduating from college that is the stipulation. He will be free to venture to FA on the 15th of August following his graduation. But the key word is that he has to graduate from his college term. If he doesn't graduate then he Habs retain his rights.

So yes if Poeling wanted to become a free agent he could do so on August 15th 2020 as long as he graduates from college.

Last edited:
Reactions: MatthewFlames

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Dude, did you just see the contracts Benning gave ?
Has nothing to do with Benning or Vancouver pal, why are you deflecting from the truth here? Im not pumping up Vancity in anyway or bringing them up... wtf...

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
To me the guys he reminds me of is Ryan O'Reilly, though Poehling is quite a bit faster. The reason for the comp is because he's a guy who's going to be one of the smartest, hardest working players every time he steps on the ice- but also has some underrated skills.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I see no reason for him to stay for his senior year and then go to free agency, unless he really hates the idea of playing in Canada (or for the Habs). Playing one more year in St. Cloud and then signing his ELC makes the most sense. The Habs offer a quick path to the NHL with the worst center depth in the league.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
He reminds me of Riley Sheahan. Big center that can skate with a bit of puck skills. He is more assertive with his physicality and going to the net than Sheahan, but doesn’t possess as good of a shot. Middle 6 center mold, will have to wait and see how the offense translates to the pro level.

Reactions: Fixxer

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
He reminds me of Riley Sheahan. Big center that can skate with a bit of puck skills. He is more assertive with his physicality and going to the net than Sheahan, but doesn’t possess as good of a shot. Middle 6 center mold, will have to wait and see how the offense translates to the pro level.

Absolutely nothing about him reminds me of Sheahan, except they are both hockey players, and will be approximately the same size, and had similar draft years as young players in the NCAA.

Poehling has way more puck skill and vision. His shot is NHL quality and Sheahan's is absolutely not. Poehling's hockey IQ far outstrips Sheahan - for a pass first player that Sheahan is supposed to be, he creates few, few chances. He's a plugger who never developed any tangible offensive skills.

I can't believe you think a guy with 81 games in a row with no goals has a good shot?????

Sheahan is more physical along the boards but, as you stated, he's also more of a perimeter player. Poehling drives the net but does need to improve on that, as well as his two-way play in his own zone. Especially as a C.

Bottom line: Sheahan is a 4th liner who flatters to deceive while Poehling will be a top-six forward.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
I agree that he's more of a ROR than a Kesler but watching him go he's a future captain. The way he controls the play after faceoffs and dictates his linemates is capitain material.

Offensively I think his upside anywhere between 15-30 to 25-35

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
Absolutely nothing about him reminds me of Sheahan, except they are both hockey players, and will be approximately the same size, and had similar draft years as young players in the NCAA.

Poehling has way more puck skill and vision. His shot is NHL quality and Sheahan's is absolutely not. Poehling's hockey IQ far outstrips Sheahan - for a pass first player that Sheahan is supposed to be, he creates few, few chances. He's a plugger who never developed any tangible offensive skills.

I can't believe you think a guy with 81 games in a row with no goals has a good shot?????

Sheahan is more physical along the boards but, as you stated, he's also more of a perimeter player. Poehling drives the net but does need to improve on that, as well as his two-way play in his own zone. Especially as a C.

Bottom line: Sheahan is a 4th liner who flatters to deceive while Poehling will be a top-six forward.
Yep, nothing in common apart from similar stats in the NCAA pre-draft. Poehling then took off with 14 goals while Sheahan scored five in his D+1.

It’s really hard not to see him as a solid second line center in 2-3 years. He just needs to shoot more.

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
I'm glad Montreal didn't rush him, he was asked if he's going for another college and he replied "I'm still young and need to produce" good on ya kid! Be our future top 6!

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I am surprised given that he was drafted by Montreal that he only has 10 pages so far

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad