C Ryan Poehling - St. Cloud State, NCAA (2017, 25th, MTL)

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I never said he would leave, I just stated if he wanted to leave and pick his team, he’d still be extremely young. Most college FA’s are going to be 22/23 by the time their first pro season starts and not nearly as many suitors. Poehling at 20 would literally sign wherever he wants, I don’t think he leaves I’m merely stating that it would have to be an intriguing option for a kid that young.
intriguing option? lol
you can shit on habs because of bargain bin,
but this kid has a pretty 'intriguing' option to play in a world class city, that loves its team
deep pockets, original six etc...
he'll sign with with Ch

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
intriguing option? lol
you can **** on habs because of bargain bin,
but this kid has a pretty 'intriguing' option to play in a world class city, that loves its team
deep pockets, original six etc...
he'll sign with with Ch

Yes Montreal is a real intriguing option, they’d be an absolutely fantastic organization to sign with but sometimes kids want to do it their own way. Just because we can all see what Montreal has to offer doesn’t mean everyone else sees it the same way. Poehling is an American kid that’s grown up in Minnesota his whole life, maybe he’s a Wild fan and would love to play for them. We can’t say what Poehling wants to do, I expect he signs in Montreal but I know that when I was a 20 year old kid, if I had the opportunity to pick my NHL team instead of having it chosen for me I’d have looked long and hard at that option as well.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Yes Montreal is a real intriguing option, they’d be an absolutely fantastic organization to sign with but sometimes kids want to do it their own way. Just because we can all see what Montreal has to offer doesn’t mean everyone else sees it the same way. Poehling is an American kid that’s grown up in Minnesota his whole life, maybe he’s a Wild fan and would love to play for them. We can’t say what Poehling wants to do, I expect he signs in Montreal but I know that when I was a 20 year old kid, if I had the opportunity to pick my NHL team instead of having it chosen for me I’d have looked long and hard at that option as well.

You can say that for any college player.
Unless the player have said something about signing with another club, there's no reason to believe he won't sign with the team who drafted him.

Reactions: schnapshot

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Since Poehling played his pre draft year in the NCAA, the Habs would still own his rights for a year after his graduation. So Poehling would have to go to Europe for a year if he really wanted to pick his team.

But Montreal is a team with an opening at center, and is the definitive franchise of the NHL...

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I never said he would leave, I just stated if he wanted to leave and pick his team, he’d still be extremely young. Most college FA’s are going to be 22/23 by the time their first pro season starts and not nearly as many suitors. Poehling at 20 would literally sign wherever he wants, I don’t think he leaves I’m merely stating that it would have to be an intriguing option for a kid that young.

What's more intriguing than becoming the defacto #1C of an NHL team at 21?

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

Canadian kids in junior teams playing in Canada all their lives can do this as well. There's nothing forcing players to sign.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I knew it that hed go elsewhere. That team is such a mess and Poehling actually has talent. He will continue to progress if he gets NO influence from Montreal and then after 4 years can choose a proper team to sing with

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Read the post again...slowly and carefully

I read it and it's still a really dumb post. There is absolutely nothing to suggest Poehling wouldn't sign with the Habs. Yes the organization is a mess but it is very rare for first round picks to not sign with the team that drafted them.

Reactions: Acadien86

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
you knew that he'd go elsewhere in 4 years? poor grammar and a time machine
Well it would be best for his career if he is traded because i think he will be a great player but not in that dumpster fire of prospect development

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
This kid could be 20 years old and a Free Agent with a college degree in his back pocket... Montreal might want to find a way to lock him real quick or there’s going to be a highly highly sought after kid in 2 years.
Dodospice please explain how Poehling could be a free agent at age 20 with a college degree. Do they not own his rights for 4 years from the draft or is it a certain period of time after they leave college?

Last edited:

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Dodospice please explain how Poehling could be a free agent at age 20 with a college degree. Do they not own his rights for 4 years from the draft or is it a certain period of time after they leave college?

I believe what I originally said was incorrect, I was thinking that they would own his rights for 4 years, as they would with every college player. I was thinking his Freshman year (17), sophomore year (18), junior year (19), senior year (20). However, that’s incorrect as you can’t count his Freshman year (17) since he wasn’t drafted by them yet and the draft wouldn’t have taken place. So while he could have a college degree in his back pocket at 20, he can’t be a free agent due to the fact that 4 seasons wouldn’t have passed since the draft. He’d have to sit out a season basically or play somewheres else for a season before he could become an FA. I was wrong.

Anardil

Nov 25, 2012
West of Chalet BBQ
I read it and it's still a really dumb post. There is absolutely nothing to suggest Poehling wouldn't sign with the Habs. Yes the organization is a mess but it is very rare for first round picks to not sign with the team that drafted them.

You didn't follow my advice. The poster that originally said about the possibility of Poehling not signing with the Habs misspelt sign. He wrote a proper team to sing with

Last edited:

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Its fine with me, nor do I say Poehling is a reach. What are you reading ?

I just get tired of fans who knew it all along that player A or player B wasnt good enough, with hindsight.

For instance, somebody compared Svechnikov with Yakupov not so long ago. Yes now we know Yakupov is a bust and suddenly you read all kind of arguments why Svechnikov is hardly the same player as Yakupov at the same age . Of course he might have a different skillset and is bigger, but at the time Yakupov was also considered to be a potential star. Perhaps McCarron and Poehling wasnt the best comparison (somebody else brought it up) but fans will always come up with reasons why their new toy is better than their old toy that failed. That's the point.
You don't need reasons if your old toy failed. Seems your just trying to bust on Ryan's party.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->