C Ryan Poehling - St. Cloud State, NCAA (2017, 25th, MTL)

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Sounds like a Montreal fan after they drafted McCarron 25th exactly at the same spot as Poehling in 2013: He's too big, skilled and smart to be a 3c.
Being outscored by a lot to an undrafted 5'9 guy 16 months older on his own NCAA team along with 2 others, 1 being a defenseman. Doesnt scream 1c to me.
Timmins should have drafted Frost who went 2 spots later.

Another poster who bring their team propect in this thread......

Who's the best player on that team at Even Strenght? Take a guess, you're probably able to find out.....

Maybe if he was getting any PP times on the top PP unit he would have more pts don't you think? Youngest player on his team again this year while facing the other team top line on most nights while been the best pts producer at 5 on 5 on his team. Its hard to ask for more whitout much PP times.....

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Watched the Pioneer game and he did a very good job against borgstrom line about 3 weeks ago.

Borgstrom still had 2 assist in 2 games. But it was still a good job.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Wheeler wasn't even ranked in the top 30
Everyone was surprised to see him taken that high. Total reach.

That’s only because Blake played in a Minnesota High School that he was ranked there, no one ever saw him play.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I am just not sure what type of player you are expecting at that pick? When you start getting towards picks 25-31, it is home run swings or go for the steadiest and smartest player you think can make it to the show..I cant see anyone blaming them for taking Poehling at that pick, he simply wasnt a reach..if anything they got him a bit later than was expected by many.
Its fine with me, nor do I say Poehling is a reach. What are you reading ?

I just get tired of fans who knew it all along that player A or player B wasnt good enough, with hindsight.

For instance, somebody compared Svechnikov with Yakupov not so long ago. Yes now we know Yakupov is a bust and suddenly you read all kind of arguments why Svechnikov is hardly the same player as Yakupov at the same age . Of course he might have a different skillset and is bigger, but at the time Yakupov was also considered to be a potential star. Perhaps McCarron and Poehling wasnt the best comparison (somebody else brought it up) but fans will always come up with reasons why their new toy is better than their old toy that failed. That's the point.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

I just get tired of the experts who knew it all along that player A or player B wasnt good enough, with hindsight.

For instance, somebody compared Svechnikov with Yakupov not so long ago. Yes now we know Yakupov is a bust and suddenly you read all kind of arguments why Svechnikov is hardly the same player as Yakupov at the same age . Of course he might have a different skillset and is bigger, but at the time Yakupov was also considered to be a potential star. Perhaps McCarron and Poehling wasnt the best comparison but fans will always come up with reasons why it is different now. Thats's the point.

I never said that you stated he was a reach...I was just saying that he went where he was ranked at, so not sure how anyone can bitch about it a few years down the road.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009

I just get tired of fans who knew it all along that player A or player B wasnt good enough, with hindsight.

For instance, somebody compared Svechnikov with Yakupov not so long ago. Yes now we know Yakupov is a bust and suddenly you read all kind of arguments why Svechnikov is hardly the same player as Yakupov at the same age . Of course he might have a different skillset and is bigger, but at the time Yakupov was also considered to be a potential star. Perhaps McCarron and Poehling wasnt the best comparison (somebody else brought it up) but fans will always come up with reasons why their new toy is better than their old toy that failed. That's the point.
In March 2014 McCarron was too skilled and too big to fail. My point too. Not comparing players, barely noted they were each picked at 25.
As far as all the stuff about him not getting pp time and all, i wont argue. Only saw him at WJC but if it is true why is it so?

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
As far as all the stuff about him not getting pp time and all, i wont argue. Only saw him at WJC but if it is true why is it so?

He's the youngest player on a veteran team that is amongst the best in the nation with a coach that gives favorable ice time to older players. Despite this, he's been given far more responsibility than most sophomores or 18/19 year olds would have got on a team like this, with a coach who has the philosophy he has. RP is exceeding expectations, his performances have been good all year, he's demonstrated far more offensive skill and flair than many predicted. He's a player trending in the right way.

Reactions: jfhabs

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Sounds like a Montreal fan after they drafted McCarron 25th exactly at the same spot as Poehling in 2013: He's too big, skilled and smart to be a 3c.
Being outscored by a lot to an undrafted 5'9 guy 16 months older on his own NCAA team along with 2 others, 1 being a defenseman. Doesnt scream 1c to me.
Timmins should have drafted Frost who went 2 spots later.

Poehlings number are comparable to Guentzel in his draft +1 (Obv not on the same team.)

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Poehlings number are comparable to Guentzel in his draft +1 (Obv not on the same team.)
Guentzel would be a pretty good comp...both players started off on deep veteran teams and had to earn their way up. both didn't score a lot of goals their fresh season, but started to really do well in their sophomore season. I think Guentzel got more power play time by his sophomore season, but once Poehling does get that as well as top line minutes which he will next year, I think these two players will have pretty similar bottom lines.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Guentzel would be a pretty good comp...both players started off on deep veteran teams and had to earn their way up. both didn't score a lot of goals their fresh season, but started to really do well in their sophomore season. I think Guentzel got more power play time by his sophomore season, but once Poehling does get that as well as top line minutes which he will next year, I think these two players will have pretty similar bottom lines.

Obviously every situation isnt similar but its still good to put them in perspective.

Gaudreau has somewhat similar numbers too, but i wouldnt go there.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
This kid could be 20 years old and a Free Agent with a college degree in his back pocket... Montreal might want to find a way to lock him real quick or there’s going to be a highly highly sought after kid in 2 years.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
This kid could be 20 years old and a Free Agent with a college degree in his back pocket... Montreal might want to find a way to lock him real quick or there’s going to be a highly highly sought after kid in 2 years.

He was drafted out of the NCAA, he was the youngest player in the NCAA last season

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
He was drafted out of the NCAA, he was the youngest player in the NCAA last season

I’m not sure what that has to do with what I said? He’s a high end prospect, with big time potential. If he wants to wait it out and go to free agency instead of committing to Montreal, he’d be a 20 year old free agent with essentially his pick of any team he wants. College guys with this potential don’t usually become free agents but it’s also not usual for them to accelerate their schooling and be able to graduate at 20, if he wants to go that route he’s going to have more suitors then any college free agent in recent memory.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I’m not sure what that has to do with what I said? He’s a high end prospect, with big time potential. If he wants to wait it out and go to free agency instead of committing to Montreal, he’d be a 20 year old free agent with essentially his pick of any team he wants. College guys with this potential don’t usually become free agents but it’s also not usual for them to accelerate their schooling and be able to graduate at 20, if he wants to go that route he’s going to have more suitors then any college free agent in recent memory.

Just like Evans possibly leaving right?

It’s not like he can go elsewhere and make more money. A college free agent will want opportunity, Montreal can offer that.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
He'll probably turn pro next season. When was the last first rounder from the NCAA that went the FA route? Normally these guys are locked up pretty quick.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Just like Evans possibly leaving right?

It’s not like he can go elsewhere and make more money. A college free agent will want opportunity, Montreal can offer that.

I never said he would leave, I just stated if he wanted to leave and pick his team, he’d still be extremely young. Most college FA’s are going to be 22/23 by the time their first pro season starts and not nearly as many suitors. Poehling at 20 would literally sign wherever he wants, I don’t think he leaves I’m merely stating that it would have to be an intriguing option for a kid that young.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
He'll probably turn pro next season. When was the last first rounder from the NCAA that went the FA route? Normally these guys are locked up pretty quick.

Very rarely, we often don’t see many what would be 19 year olds finishing up their junior season though. I think he signs but IF he wanted to pick his spot, that would be intriguing for a kid that young.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->