C Raphael Lavoie - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2019, 38th, EDM)

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Love this pick. Will need to work on consistency, but when he's on he takes over games. Big, strong bull that is very hard to knock off the puck, great hands, great shot, and moves well for a guy his size. Walking away with a guy who could have been a top 15 pick if not for concerns about his consistent compete is pretty good for the Oil after deciding to go with a D at 8.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Great value pick for the Oil. Hopefully he can become at least a top-6 player for you guys. Another bonus, is that he is one of the oldest players in the draft class, and is therefore that much closer to providing (much needed) help from the wing in Edmonton. There’s star potential here, no doubt. Minor tweaks to his skating and more mental consistency of effort are the keys.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Still can’t believe we got him with our 2nd. A line of Drai-McDavid-Lavoie line in a few years could be insane.

Love this pick.

He’s stepped up and played better when the stakes were highest.

Playoffs:
23 games played
20 goals
12 assists
32 points

He was really good at the 2018 U-18s with his birth year.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Any updates on his play this year from anyone who sees Halifax often? His goal scoring and point totals are up quite a bit this year so far, and it looks like he's shooting the puck a lot more. Currently averaging 0.72G 1.56P 6.5 shots per game compared to 0.52G 1.18P 3.3 shots per game last year. Hoping he makes the U20 team to get more looks at him.

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
Any updates on his play this year from anyone who sees Halifax often? His goal scoring and point totals are up quite a bit this year so far, and it looks like he's shooting the puck a lot more. Currently averaging 0.72G 1.56P 6.5 shots per game compared to 0.52G 1.18P 3.3 shots per game last year. Hoping he makes the U20 team to get more looks at him.
Love him or hate him. He gets the puck a lot. He loses the puck a lot. He shoots the puck a lot. He misses the net a lot. He hits the net a lot. He gives up the puck a lot. He gets the puck back a lot. Fumbles the puck a lot. Controls the puck a lot.
Kid has some desire and the Mooseheads offense flows through him. He’s still learning. Making some bad passing decisions lately but the whole team is. He has good line mates that get him the puck. He’s always around the puck. The whole team is suffering right now from poor coaching. I think it’s really affecting him. Fourth coach in four years. Last year he was inside the blue line in the defensive zone and would flawlessly get puck out of the zone. New coach has him outside the blue line and usually the puck ends up in our net.
Over his four years here. All of his shots have gotten incredibly hard and quite accurate. Gets his shots off quite fast. Skating is improving. Handling passes and controlling the puck on his stick are regressing a bit. That’s where he needs some focus. He’s a great prospect and with other quality players around him he could definitely be on Team Canada in a scoring or grinding role.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Love him or hate him. He gets the puck a lot. He loses the puck a lot. He shoots the puck a lot. He misses the net a lot. He hits the net a lot. He gives up the puck a lot. He gets the puck back a lot. Fumbles the puck a lot. Controls the puck a lot.
Kid has some desire and the Mooseheads offense flows through him. He’s still learning. Making some bad passing decisions lately but the whole team is. He has good line mates that get him the puck. He’s always around the puck. The whole team is suffering right now from poor coaching. I think it’s really affecting him. Fourth coach in four years. Last year he was inside the blue line in the defensive zone and would flawlessly get puck out of the zone. New coach has him outside the blue line and usually the puck ends up in our net.
Over his four years here. All of his shots have gotten incredibly hard and quite accurate. Gets his shots off quite fast. Skating is improving. Handling passes and controlling the puck on his stick are regressing a bit. That’s where he needs some focus. He’s a great prospect and with other quality players around him he could definitely be on Team Canada in a scoring or grinding role.
Interesting, thanks for that.

In my opinion Lavoie is a guy that will be a top-6 winger or a bust. I don't see anything in between that.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

WildWillie

Jan 9, 2019

A little bit of contradiction in your analysis? He's an interesting prospect because his game is all over the place. I see both a high ceiling and low floor for him. Could see him as a top 6 winger in the NHL and I could also see him fizzle out and never make it. His effort level needs to get more consistent is the biggest issue and I think some of the flaws you pointed out will begin to improve when that does

BJD

May 26, 2011
I just don't see him being a impact player in the NHL. He's a big shooter but not much else. Due to the team being warm garbage the first line plays a ton of minutes so he's going to get his points in the Q

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Off to a great start this year after a dominant playoffs last year.

18 games, 13 + 15 for 28 points.

Reactions: 780il

EnglishJet

Jul 18, 2014
Nova Scotia
I've been a very disappointed with his effort this year. Sure the points look good, but his back checking has been non-existent, with him using his long reach to cheat a little (with mixed results). In the offensive zone he just shoots, regardless of options, screens, etc--hence the 6.5 shots a game. He's playing 25 minutes a night on our best/only line so the stat line is impressive but watching him every game shows me it's papering over cracks in his overall game.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Off to a great start this year after a dominant playoffs last year.

18 games, 13 + 15 for 28 points.

Great start putting up points, but the flaws in his game that made him drop out of the first rd have got even worse this season IMO.

As others have pointed out, his compete level seems even lower since Halifax isn’t expected to win and he seems to just be waiting to get traded.

Reactions: EnglishJet

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
See how he does tonight against Russia. He really has had a rivalry going with Khovanov the last couple years. Sokolov is a tank and hard on the puck. Could be interesting if Lavoie is matched against either or both of them. Lavoie usually has a good showing in these sort of games.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
See how he does tonight against Russia. He really has had a rivalry going with Khovanov the last couple years. Sokolov is a tank and hard on the puck. Could be interesting if Lavoie is matched against either or both of them. Lavoie usually has a good showing in these sort of games.

Been fantastic so far halfway through the game got an assist to take the lead on the 2-1 goal.

Also had this massive hit along with some other solid hits.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Lavoie has been an absolute force tonight. Adds a goal now for 1 + 1 this game, he’s been the best player on the ice against Russia.

Edit: looks like they’re giving him the assist instead of the goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad