C Raphael Lavoie - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2019, 38th, EDM)

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
I was pretty underwhelmed the two times I seen him live this Season. I've also seen him completely dominate on TV though.

Seems to be a bit of an enigma.

Reactions: Fixxer

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Was not selected in the first round.
As for his goal scoring ability and big body (anyway, being tall), I wondered if he had anything similar to Anthony Mantha? anyway. Couldn't find a more recent Lavoie thread to post in.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I love the pick for #38. Big guy, can move decently, pure goal scorer.

His wicked one timer will be very welcome on our pp.

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City
Hard to argue with picking him at this spot. Great size, great shot, good skater for his size.

Just have to hope he hasn't inherited his father's terrible personality. Have to wonder if that whole deal might have played a role in his fall in the draft (even though it definitely shouldn't).

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
Hard to argue with picking him at this spot. Great size, great shot, good skater for his size.

Just have to hope he hasn't inherited his father's terrible personality. Have to wonder if that whole deal might have played a role in his fall in the draft (even though it definitely shouldn't).

What's the story with this?

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City
What's the story with this?

Ex-mayor in disgrace of a sizeable Montreal suburb. Was a small-time dictator/bully to such a degree that it led Radio-Can's investigative reporting show to make an entire show on him. Abusive to employees, would threaten citizens with lawsuits for criticizing him online (using city funds), various abuses of power. For example, got the coach of the local girls soccer team fired for not giving his daughter enough playtime. The phone call he made to the team's manager was made public, it was a truly great example of an insane sport parent. Was implicated in corruption investigations, town was put under provincial supervision, then he finally resigned this year.

Again, ideally it shouldn't influence Raphael's draft ranking. But combined with the fact he apparently doesn't interview well ... maybe it did.

Here's an English language link to the story

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
Ex-mayor in disgrace of a sizeable Montreal suburb. Was a small-time dictator/bully to such a degree that it led Radio-Can's investigative reporting show to make an entire show on him. Abusive to employees, would threaten citizens with lawsuits for criticizing him online (using city funds), various abuses of power. For example, got the coach of the local girls soccer team fired for not giving his daughter enough playtime. The phone call he made to the team's manager was made public, it was a truly great example of an insane sport parent. Was implicated in corruption investigations, town was put under provincial supervision, then he finally resigned this year.

Again, ideally it shouldn't influence Raphael's draft ranking. But combined with the fact he apparently doesn't interview well ... maybe it did.

Wow, lol. Yea, let's hope the apple falls a little further from the tree...

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
Saw his post-draft interview.. guy seems laid back.. way too much in fact.

I might be reading too much into it but I'd be wary of that.

Whiston532

Dec 27, 2010
Edmonton
I’m ok with the last couple drafts getting us guys with 1st round talent slipping to the second round. Granted him and Benson did for different reasons.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
Terrible pick for the Oilers, the last thing they need is players with questionable attitudes.

dumb statement

good solid pick
can and could convert his chances
if he gets more physically involved over next short while he will make nhl impact

abo9

Jun 25, 2017

I for one hope my team does their homework on a player with such an upbringing. The pros know better than me but I'd be worried about the player's motivations to play, his work ethic, his overall personality, etc. Kids are not always like their parents but with that soccer/daughter story, is it far fetched to think the dad had some influences over the hockey path of his kid? Obviously he's in the CHL now so very talented but imo it does raise concerns for a professional organization. Again though, they probably did their homeworks

HuMz

Jan 30, 2005
Calgary, Canada
dumb statement

good solid pick
can and could convert his chances
if he gets more physically involved over next short while he will make nhl impact

I could call your post dumb, instead try making an effort to explain why it's dumb.

Do we have an issue with lazy players that lack compete? Absolutely.

Is the criticism of this player the same as above? Yes.

Are the many scounts who saw him play wrong? Potentially, but I'd rather side with them over HF. When mulitple professionals are seeing a lack of compete, it's probably true.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
I could call your post dumb, instead try making an effort to explain why it's dumb.

Do we have an issue with lazy players that lack compete? Absolutely.

Is the criticism of this player the same as above? Yes.

Are the many scounts who saw him play wrong? Potentially, but I'd rather side with them over HF. When mulitple professionals are seeing a lack of compete, it's probably true.

have you seen him live

yes he can maybe seem like compete is off
thats the role the coach put him in this year
( blue line forechecking)

hes been clutch
u18
chl
memorial cup
wjc invite and will make it

good pick

Reactions: Tube Skates

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal
He will be a great player for Edmonton but his dad needs to stop meddling in his career. Edmonton needed wingers and they got a good one in Lavoie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad