C Quinton Byfield - Sudbury Wolves, OHL (2020 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Love the video....awesome. Congrats on a new arena by the way.

I thought of a junior hockey trip that started in Ottawa and then Val'D'Or and Rouyn Noranda, then to Sudbury and North Bay. That might take weeks though.

You’re probably 1 too many there. I did all of those except for Sudbury over a Thurs-Sun stretch one weekend

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
No chance. Hughes is a smaller version of Mcdavid, most dominate tool is his Hockey sense.

Quinton Byfield has NHL speed and size right now. Byfield dominates speeding away from players, I dont see Byfield with high hockey IQ. He never had to think the game with his speed and size. Byfield 1st and 2nd year OHL numbers will be somewhat similar. Byfield looks like a bottom 6 NHL player because of his Hockey IQ holding him back. He ran the PP from the point this year and I questioned his decisions and his deception to manipulate defenders to open ice up to be lacking.

Low hockey IQ? Bottom 6 NHL player? Please, drink more of whatever hater-ade you're drinking.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
opening night. 1st. real game tonight. looking forward to it. hope he has a big night. 2 goals and 2 helpers. but that's being a tad bit optimistic.

Red Solo Cup

Jul 17, 2018
How was he? Saw he had a primary assist and went topshelf on a breakaway with two guys on him.

He looked pretty good for his first game. He struggled in the face off dot and he was shaky defensively (coasting around too much and frequently leaving his man open), but aside from that he seemed pretty good. Sudbury also used him on the PK which I thought was a good choice, although it was when the other team scored and by field didn’t have his man. Other than the usual offensively minded players mistakes, he came as advertised, big, strong, fast, smart.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I see he has 6 points in 7 games. Has be been as advertised so far this season?
He’s legit. Should end up a top 5 pick. I’m not yet sold he’s a Tavares, Hall or Stamkos level talent. But, he has crazy physical tools so he may take a little longer but should be able to impose his will on games.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
I think this is the guy who will challenge Lafreniere for 1st overall...hard to not think a guy with this frame and skating ability with his offensive skills would not be a contender.

Reactions: Konk

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Hmm...kinda silent here, have people forgotten him??? Oh well...here's an update.

0.88 ppg this season. In 23 games the 16 year old has scored impressive 9 goals and 11 assists, 20 points.
Is already Wolves top scorers this season, 2nd in points, 4th in goals, 1st in pp assists & points,3rd in sog.

His f/o % isn't good, only 46, but he is far away fro being physically matured, he is only 16 after all,
when he gets much more strength and gets used to his huge frame, i think his f/o stats will improve.

Last edited:

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I don't know if he is quite there to compete for 1st overall in his draft year, but will almost definitely be gone in the top several picks.

I am going to Barrie to see him live in December, pretty excited to see him live at the OHL level.

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
I think people are selling him short now. 20 points in 23 games as a 16 year old is very good. I’d say he is going to be at least a top 10 pick. Perhaps people were hyping him up too much , but he has met my expectations and he is in a logjam of names to go right after Lafreniere.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I think people are selling him short now. 20 points in 23 games as a 16 year old is very good. I’d say he is going to be at least a top 10 pick. Perhaps people were hyping him up too much , but he has met my expectations and he is in a logjam of names to go right after Lafreniere.

They weren't overhyping him I don't think he's just playing for Sudbury, that's the problem. One of the worst run organizations in the OHL for years . Still not fully in belief in their ability to develop talent. I believe most of their success this year can be attributed to Luukkonen.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
People were excited about him, because along with myself, many on this forum have seen him live multiple times.

Personally believe he has a higher shift to shift impact than Lafreniere-whether that translates to the score sheet or not, who knows. It's very early. One's a rookie, one isn't.

Reactions: flamebird

HasbeenHallzy

May 14, 2015
Sudbury
They weren't overhyping him I don't think he's just playing for Sudbury, that's the problem. One of the worst run organizations in the OHL for years . Still not fully in belief in their ability to develop talent. I believe most of their success this year can be attributed to Luukkonen.
This isn't true, I've watched multiple games and yes UPL is often their best player but Stillman has them playing a great system and they are deadly off the rush. Q is an absolute monster every game and dominates puck possession when he is on the ice. The next few years in Sudbury are very bright.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It seems his recent uptick was sparked by moving him to Blake Murrey's wing.

He's a top talent, but the hype was a bit out of control. He isn't a Stamkos/Tavares level talent at 16, which I think people expected given how some were talking about him. Chychrun got similar hype coming out of the GTA due to his similarly freakish skill-set, and had it level off. I don't expect Byfield to drop like that, but I'm not sure he'll be comparable to other top 1st overalls to come out of the Toronto area in recent years like Stamkos, Tavares, and McDavid or even Hughes who didn't go OHL route, but was developed primarily in the GTHL (yes, I know Stamkos and Byfield didn't play GTHL, but played for teams based in the GTA).

Tutu to

Jan 19, 2013
Toronto
People were excited about him, because along with myself, many on this forum have seen him live multiple times.

Personally believe he has a higher shift to shift impact than Lafreniere-whether that translates to the score sheet or not, who knows. It's very early. One's a rookie, one isn't.
Lafreniere still put up better numbers in his rookie year despite starting the season as a 15 year old and being younger then Byfield. At the end of the day both are getting drafted in the same year and Lafreniere is more then doubling Byfields in production. I feel Byfields game is very attribute based and will struggle at the higher levels. Could be the next Serron Noel.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Lafreniere still put up better numbers in his rookie year despite starting the season as a 15 year old and being younger then Byfield. At the end of the day both are getting drafted in the same year and Lafreniere is more then doubling Byfields in production. I feel Byfields game is very attribute based and will struggle at the higher levels. Could be the next Serron Noel.

Byfield is so much more skilled than Serron Noel, and there's also nothing really raw about Byfield's offensive game, just little things that can be improved and refined.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad