C Quinton Byfield - Sudbury Wolves, OHL (2020 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tutu to

Jan 19, 2013
Toronto
Byfield is so much more skilled than Serron Noel, and there's also nothing really raw about Byfield's offensive game, just little things that can be improved and refined.
From what I’ve seen his best attributes are his physicality. Players who dominate in midget due to their size and strength often have me worried. He’s done good this season but not nearly as good as Lafreniere. When I was playing Daniel Cantenacci was probably the best player in Canada for his age group. I know Bygield is better but I don’t see him as a first overall pick.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Lafreniere still put up better numbers in his rookie year despite starting the season as a 15 year old and being younger then Byfield. At the end of the day both are getting drafted in the same year and Lafreniere is more then doubling Byfields in production. I feel Byfields game is very attribute based and will struggle at the higher levels. Could be the next Serron Noel.
The age gap when comparing across years is less than 2 months. So, the age difference is hardly a factor.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Tutu to

Jan 19, 2013
Toronto
The age gap when comparing across years is less than 2 months. So, the age difference is hardly a factor.
Maybe but they are still in the same draft year. If Lafrenieres production is significantly better the 10 months won’t mean anything when picking a first overall.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Maybe but they are still in the same draft year. If Lafrenieres production is significantly better the 10 months won’t mean anything when picking a first overall.
I don't think scouts mess up due to the age gap at the very top of the draft. It seems to lead to mistakes from 10 on. But, my point is that to emphasize the age gap in their rookie years in the CHL is pointless. The gap is like 5 weeks.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Quinton is on a 5 game point streak, 4 goals,8 assists,12 points (2+2 tonight).
- after scoring only 3 points in 8 games, he has really picked up his pace again

12 goals, 15 assists, 27 points in 25 games this season.

Still 2nd in points, 5 points behind David Levin, who has played 4 games more what Quinton

flamebird

Jul 28, 2007
Lafreniere still put up better numbers in his rookie year despite starting the season as a 15 year old and being younger then Byfield. At the end of the day both are getting drafted in the same year and Lafreniere is more then doubling Byfields in production. I feel Byfields game is very attribute based and will struggle at the higher levels. Could be the next Serron Noel.

Flawed argument point IMO. The QMJHL is known to be the easiest of the 3 leagues to score in. Not to take away what was done because what Lafreniere did was very impressive. I believe Byfield would put up similar numbers in that league

Tutu to

Jan 19, 2013
Toronto
Flawed argument point IMO. The QMJHL is known to be the easiest of the 3 leagues to score in. Not to take away what was done because what Lafreniere did was very impressive. I believe Byfield would put up similar numbers in that league
The Q produces better forwards then the W. Crosby, Mackinon, Kuchurov, Giroux ect

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
He dominated midget due to physical attributes. I don’t think he will be a top 5 pick in 2020
How do you explain his excellent production so far in the Sudbury? I get that at this age, different players mature at different rates and that puts some players at an advantage, but while his advantage may diminish at the next level, Byfield is always going to be one of the biggest guys on the ice, even in the NHL. Besides, massive growth spurts can put some players at a disadvantage compared to their smaller peers because they have to make more of an adjustment to their new bodies. A lot of the kids who dominate using physical attributes at a young age are guys who are short, stocky and mature early. They get the benefit of extra strength without having to make major adjustments, but once the lankier kids grow into their bodies and learn to use them to their advantage, some of the fire-hydrant type guys get left by the wayside.

That being said, he could definitely fall out of the top five. Some subset of Perfetti, McLennon, Raymond, Holtz, Gunler, and Lundell could easily round out the top five when all is said and done. But Byfield is more than simply a great athlete.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
Do you really think the difference is such that Lafreniere gets something like 25-30 more points this year just because the Q is easier?

Come on, you can do better than that.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
He dominated midget due to physical attributes. I don’t think he will be a top 5 pick in 2020

That's why hes point per game at 16 in the OHL too right? The kid is a physical freak but he has a lot of skill and IQ as well, tons of big kids dominate midget and never sniff his production in junior ever, let alone at 16.

At this point I can definitely see him being a top 5 pick, its very early but all signs point to this kid having a major impact in the pros

LarrysMustache

Feb 29, 2016
Flawed argument. There was like 7 100 points scorer a couple years back in the dub (and not some really good players...). There all PP leagues. If your on a stacked team with a good PP, chances are you'll light it up.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Do you really think the difference is such that Lafreniere gets something like 25-30 more points this year just because the Q is easier?

You should probably compare Byfield's season from this year to Lafreniere's last season. Lafreniere still comes out ahead but it wouldn't be as dramatic. Byfield is only 5 weeks older than Lafreniere was last year. If you are just going to look at their totals. Being 11 months older, in your 2nd CHL season, and in the QMJHL is a pretty sizable advantage.

Historically, a point in the OHL is worth around 1.10 when weighted against other junior leagues, while the QMJHL is worth .95, for whatever reason, scoring in the OHL and WHL appears to be historically much more transferable to the NHL. Doing quick math with age adjustments and factoring in playoffs that is weighted, Lafreniere had an adjusted point per game of 1.60 last year. Byfield Currently has 1.44, and has exploded since being moved to the wing a couple weeks ago. Lafreniere has an adjusted 1.87 on the season.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
That's why hes point per game at 16 in the OHL too right? The kid is a physical freak but he has a lot of skill and IQ as well, tons of big kids dominate midget and never sniff his production in junior ever, let alone at 16.

At this point I can definitely see him being a top 5 pick, its very early but all signs point to this kid having a major impact in the pros

WILD how coordinated he is for a guy who's 6'5

cg98

Oct 10, 2017

God his edgework for being that size is insane.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
He will go very high in next year’s draft. Although size doesn’t matter as much as it used to, GMs would literally kill to have a skilled 6’5” centerman. Centers tend to go higher in the draft anyways.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He will go very high in next year’s draft. Although size doesn’t matter as much as it used to, GMs would literally kill to have a skilled 6’5” centerman. Centers tend to go higher in the draft anyways.
He's taken off since being moved to the wing a couple weeks ago. They moved him on Nov 23rd to Blake Murray's wing and since then he has 15 points in 9 games, compared to 14 points in 19 games previously.

A bunch of 16-year-old centers get moved there and go back, but it isn't a sure thing. Even if he doesn't move back, his skill-set creates a huge power-winger with good offensive instincts and tools who would be an absolute beast on the forecheck.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
He's taken off since being moved to the wing a couple weeks ago. They moved him on Nov 23rd to Blake Murray's wing and since then he has 15 points in 9 games, compared to 14 points in 19 games previously.

A bunch of 16-year-old centers get moved there and go back, but it isn't a sure thing. Even if he doesn't move back, his skill-set creates a huge power-winger with good offensive instincts and tools who would be an absolute beast on the forecheck.

Yeah there's no shame in being a top flight winger with that kind of power. I think his skating and shooting abilities are more tailored for the wing but that doesn't mean he stays there forever.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Its ironic because the WHL is clearly the easiest league to score in and has been for over half a decade. It also produces the least amount of elite forwards of the three leagues, I actually see people post stuff like this all the time and it couldnt be anymore wrong.

member 157595

I haven't watched this guy much but I really like what I've seen. Big, rangy, talented and can skate. Very desirable player for today's NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad