C Quinton Byfield - Sudbury Wolves, OHL (2020 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I really like his game. I think that he'll seriously challenge Lafreniere for #1OA.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Faster than Modano? Jersey-flapping Mike Modano?
I cannot compare him to a 15 year old modano. But I can compare him to many of the kids I have seen come out of Toronto over the last decade or more and not to many are as fast as him. But I do remember jersey flapping Modano.

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
It is hard to see such a huge frame fly around like that and not think about Lindros. How would you guys describe him as a scorer? Is he more of a playmaker or a goal scorer?

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Next year will be a big one. Could very well be a case of a kid who is bigger and stronger than everyone his age. You wont find out till next year. But, that highlight real was fun to watch

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Next year will be a big one. Could very well be a case of a kid who is bigger and stronger than everyone his age. You wont find out till next year. But, that highlight real was fun to watch

They were saying the same about Beecher a year ago and then he’s a fourth liner with the NTDP. You really gotta wait and see with these bigger players until they are playing in Junior.

I like what I’ve seem in highlights from Byfield, but I think we need to see how he does this season before we get a better understanding of what he can do.

Reactions: bigdog16

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I'm not getting my hopes up given Sudbury's recent track records with high picks : Levin, McFarland etc .

Rusty8719

Feb 21, 2018
It is hard to see such a huge frame fly around like that and not think about Lindros. How would you guys describe him as a scorer? Is he more of a playmaker or a goal scorer?
My first thought was Lindros because of his sheer dominance and size against his peers, but he is no Lindros.

He has tremendous passing, shooting, and puck skills so he tends to dominate in all areas, so it's hard to say if he projects as more of a playmaker, scorer, or somewhere in the middle.

I mean, for player comparisons, I see something around Staal or Getzlaf...it just depends on what skillsets he develops most I suppose. Maybe Scheifele is a better comparison.

I think the one thing that separates him from all those players and pretty much every other big player his age all the way through to their draft years is that his skating speed and ability is elite.

I'm not getting my hopes up given Sudbury's recent track records with high picks : Levin, McFarland etc .

Good point but watch his OHL Cup highlights and see if that sways you.

Reactions: 99664987

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
If you make a highlight pack of any player they will look good. If you look at OHL Cup as whole it was not his most dominant week. He was outplayed by his team mate Evan Vierling all week. Byfield finished tied for 17th in tournament scoring with 7 points in 6 games (3 in that one game against the Reps which left him with 3 points in the other 5 games) and was not selected to the tournament all star team while Vierling was. He was good but not great and with his skill set and size advantage when playing Minor Midget, he should have been better against top competition. This makes me think it is too much to ask for him to dominate the OHL next year like many are predicting. I think it will be at least 2 years before he becomes a dominant player in the league.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If you make a highlight pack of any player they will look good. If you look at OHL Cup as whole it was not his most dominant week. He was outplayed by his team mate Evan Vierling all week. Byfield finished tied for 17th in tournament scoring and was not selected to the tournament all star team while Vierling was. He was good but not great and with his skill set and size advantage when playing Minor Midget, he should have been better against top competition. This makes me think it is too much to ask for him to dominate the OHL next year like many are predicting. I think it will be at least 2 years before he becomes a dominant player in the league.
Quality points. From what I've heard from people I trust, he isn't comparable to the very high-end of GTA players to come along in recent years. No one is McDavid, but Byfield is also behind the JT's and Stamkos's at a comparable age. He's a good prospect, but people are starting to get ahead of themselves when it comes to him. I'm not sure if he's better than other recent 1OA's like Chychrun at 15. He obviously has sky-high potential, but people are getting way too far ahead predicting he'll easily challenge Lafreniere.

Reactions: grentthealien

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I actually argue that he needs to get faster because the IQ, shiftiness, and stickhandling is already there at high speeds.

His simply superb strength in which I saw was his ability to steal the puck. He is the full package of anticipation, speed, grit, size, desire, and compete. These type of players are quite rare.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
If you make a highlight pack of any player they will look good. If you look at OHL Cup as whole it was not his most dominant week. He was outplayed by his team mate Evan Vierling all week. Byfield finished tied for 17th in tournament scoring with 7 points in 6 games (3 in that one game against the Reps which left him with 3 points in the other 5 games) and was not selected to the tournament all star team while Vierling was. He was good but not great and with his skill set and size advantage when playing Minor Midget, he should have been better against top competition. This makes me think it is too much to ask for him to dominate the OHL next year like many are predicting. I think it will be at least 2 years before he becomes a dominant player in the league.
As someone who watched him all year I can concur that he did not have a strong showing in the OHL cup. He showed flashes of brilliance but the team was a better team because of Vierling in that tournament. Vierling did not play above his head either. Thats how he played all year.

Reactions: aresknights

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
He had an underwhelming OHL Cup, but it shouldn't be forgotten that he had a pretty jaw dropping performance in the OMHA Championship.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
this prospect is driving me nuts. the size, speed, fluidity,IQ, skills, is something we,ve never seen before. add on top of that hes a center. kids the 1stOV 2020.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Always iffy with big forwards. If he indeed has the IQ as well good chance he becomes a good player but if not he will end up just like the McFarland, Bjugstad, players with ''all the tools '' yet somehow turned into disappointments. Many of his weaknesses if he has them will become apparent at the next level. Aimlessly flying around with good speed will only work at the junior level ( see Yakupov ) . I haven't watched him but I'm hoping he is a smart player.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
McFarland is a plausible worry. One of the posters upthread mentioned Beecher, but that doesn't really work. He didn't show consistency at the minor midget level. He'd flash the talent/athletic combo, but Byfield makes an impression every single shift.

Btw, not to say Beecher can't be a very good player. He can.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Always iffy with big forwards. If he indeed has the IQ as well good chance he becomes a good player but if not he will end up just like the McFarland, Bjugstad, players with ''all the tools '' yet somehow turned into disappointments. Many of his weaknesses if he has them will become apparent at the next level. Aimlessly flying around with good speed will only work at the junior level ( see Yakupov ) . I haven't watched him but I'm hoping he is a smart player.

I don't think Bjugstad is a good comparable. He's a productive top six forward that still has upside.

Reactions: Patrik Barkov

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I don't think Bjugstad is a good comparable. He's a productive top six forward that still has upside.

His potential is limited by his lack of hockey IQ which was exposed at higher levels and not noticed when he was younger and physically dominant .

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
As stated before its going to be a massive adjustment for Byfield as he only played against kids his own birth year last season. Given his size it should have been easy to dominate the competition at that level. Many players were playing against kids 4+ years older so its difficult to compare production at this point.

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
All I know is that I am definitely rooting for this kid to make it. What do you guys think would be a good rookie OHL season for him? Do you think 50-60 points would be a good 1st season for him?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
All I know is that I am definitely rooting for this kid to make it. What do you guys think would be a good rookie OHL season for him? Do you think 50-60 points would be a good 1st season for him?

60-70 would be good. 90+ puts him in a good spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->