C Quinton Byfield - Sudbury Wolves, OHL (2020 Draft) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Zero question he plays in the NHL next season. It's just a matter of if it'll be 9 games or more.

This is the question though :laugh:

We just dont need to oversimplify it every time and explain how contracts slide if 9 games or under are played.

Byfield will surely get some games, but I dont think its in anyone's best interest to have him play next year *more than 9 games ;)

And hes my #2 pick all day and twice on Sundays.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I remember a substantial number of the same people here saying “Dach needs a year of even 2” before becoming NHL ready. None of us know. He may need more time he may not, stop acting like you know
As a Wolves fan and season ticket holder, I feel he could step into the NHL next season, but another junior season also would not be detrimental.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I remember a substantial number of the same people here saying “Dach needs a year of even 2” before becoming NHL ready. None of us know. He may need more time he may not, stop acting like you know

Ok. Kirby Dach certainly looked like an NHLer especially towards the end of the season, but one that was scoring at less than a 30 point pace, so it's fair to wonder if that's the best spot for his development, too, and a really weird example to use if you want to lecture people who want to question it with respect to Byfield. Especially given you're actually agreeing with those people, just being weirdly aggressive about it.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I think people tend to forget how young this guy actually is. He's a month away from being draft eligible for next year. Byfield has improved a lot since last year and that is a great thing for someone so young in this draft.

It really seems like people have been down on him since his WJC performance but you really have to put that into context. Yes he only had one point in 7 games (technically only saw the ice in 6) but I believe the max he played was just under 13 minutes the very first game and then saw his ice time decrease each game. Its tough for a 17 year old to perform right off the bat at the WJC. For reference, we can just look at Lafreniere's performance as a 17 year old at the world juniors and he only had 1 goal in 5 games.

He has all the tools you look for in a number 1 C, and has shown that he can put everything together. He had an exceptional season in my eyes, and I'm not really sure what more people were looking for out of him.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I think people tend to forget how young this guy actually is. He's a month away from being draft eligible for next year. Byfield has improved a lot since last year and that is a great thing for someone so young in this draft.

It really seems like people have been down on him since his WJC performance but you really have to put that into context. Yes he only had one point in 7 games (technically only saw the ice in 6) but I believe the max he played was just under 13 minutes the very first game and then saw his ice time decrease each game. Its tough for a 17 year old to perform right off the bat at the WJC. For reference, we can just look at Lafreniere's performance as a 17 year old at the world juniors and he only had 1 goal in 5 games.

He has all the tools you look for in a number 1 C, and has shown that he can put everything together. He had an exceptional season in my eyes, and I'm not really sure what more people were looking for out of him.
How are people forgetting? Everyone has him in their top 3.

Reactions: Acadien86

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

We just dont need to oversimplify it every time and explain how contracts slide if 9 games or under are played.

Byfield will surely get some games, but I dont think its in anyone's best interest to have him play next year *more than 9 games ;)

I dont know how you can say its not in his best interest to play in the NHL more than 9 games already lol. Hes got a bunch of time off to train right now, he could come back with another 10-15 lbs of muscle on him to start next season. How is being in junior for sure better for a 6'4 player with that much muscle on him with an elite skill set?

Like someone else mentioned above, hes a much better prospect than Dach and Dach looked like he belonged in the NHL.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

I dont know how you can say its not in his best interest to play in the NHL more than 9 games already lol. Hes got a bunch of time off to train right now, he could come back with another 10-15 lbs of muscle on him to start next season. How is being in junior for sure better for a 6'4 player with that much muscle on him with an elite skill set?

Like someone else mentioned above, hes a much better prospect than Dach and Dach looked like he belonged in the NHL.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
I think the failures of Hughes and Kakko have people being overly cautious. I think Byfield being NHL ready depends on his off-season training and growth. If he looks ready at camp he should be good to go and if he doesn’t give him a taste and then send him down.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

I can say it because its fairly true, and even his own coach Cory Stillman (ex NHLer) feels like theres still some things that he can learn in junior being as young as he is, even if hes physically ready to go at the NHL level.

Theres no need to rush him next year if its the Sens that draft him. They have two quality center prospects in Logan Brown and Josh Norris pushing to make the team next year already, and the extra year in junior will certainly not hurt Byfeild's development. Thats too many rookie centermen all at once for next year.

And as someone else mentioned, Dach is kind of a poor example, dont you think? Hes not lighting it up or proven yet that hes an elite player that got to skip junior...

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I can say it because its fairly true, and even his own coach Cory Stillman (ex NHLer) feels like theres still some things that he can learn in junior being as young as he is, even if hes physically ready to go at the NHL level.

Theres no need to rush him next year if its the Sens that draft him. They have two quality center prospects in Logan Brown and Josh Norris pushing to make the team next year already, and the extra year in junior will certainly not hurt Byfeild's development. Thats too many rookie centermen all at once for next year.

And as someone else mentioned, Dach is kind of a poor example, dont you think? Hes not lighting it up or proven yet that hes an elite player that got to skip junior...

Stillman is a guy who would have a much better season next year if Byfield is still around. Hes not going to say he has nothing left to teach him either. You cant say its fairly true because you dont know what hes going to look like going into camp next year. Just because his coach says he can teach him stuff still doesnt mean an NHL coach cant teach him even more against players closer to him in size and skill level either.

Also I dont think Dach is a poor example. Everyone and their dog thought he should go back to junior and he probably could've and learned some more for sure. But he also was ready enough to play 3rd line minutes and contribute in the NHL. Byfield is significantly ahead of Dach at the time of the draft. I could point out plenty of high picks that were ready to step right in but Dach was recent and pretty easy to compare with Dach.

Im not even saying he should for sure stay in the NHL. I'm just saying its ridiculous to say a guy this big, skilled and fast should for sure go back to junior this far away from the season. Plenty of guys have made that jump and been successful that were lesser players than Byfield

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Stillman is a guy who would have a much better season next year if Byfield is still around. Hes not going to say he has nothing left to teach him either. You cant say its fairly true because you dont know what hes going to look like going into camp next year. Just because his coach says he can teach him stuff still doesnt mean an NHL coach cant teach him even more against players closer to him in size and skill level either.

Also I dont think Dach is a poor example. Everyone and their dog thought he should go back to junior and he probably could've and learned some more for sure. But he also was ready enough to play 3rd line minutes and contribute in the NHL. Byfield is significantly ahead of Dach at the time of the draft. I could point out plenty of high picks that were ready to step right in but Dach was recent and pretty easy to compare with Dach.

Im not even saying he should for sure stay in the NHL. I'm just saying its ridiculous to say a guy this big, skilled and fast should for sure go back to junior this far away from the season. Plenty of guys have made that jump and been successful that were lesser players than Byfield

Listen man your talking to someone from Sudbury, aka a big Wolves fan, and one of the biggest Byfield fans out there. Ive seen him more than you (Im assuming), and I think hes a future star regardless of where he plays next season.

I have ZERO doubts whatsoever that he could be an NHL player next year, and hes probably going to look better than say Jack Hughes did, or Kakko, or even your boy Kirby.

But having said that. I would like to see him mature further as a dominant two way guy and learn how to be a physical force (and add that part to his game) before he goes to the NHL and starts finding his way there.

Hes never been able to physically dominate his peers before because hes been playing up an age since before he was allowed to bodycheck, And thats why hes still playing more of a skilled game and wasting some of his tools - and we want those dormant tools of his to be his primary focus next year in junior.

Im very convinced that this extra year of seasoning in junior will go a long way towards reaching that massive potential of his. And if the Sens draft him, Im 100% convinced they stick with their rebuilding plan of not rushing anyone (like weve seen the oilers do).

Last edited:

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Eichel has a lot more skill. Byfield is bigger. Both are great skaters and rely more on their athletic ability than hockey IQ, although neither have bad hockey IQ's.

Agree with this.

But I believe that in his prime, and with an excellent trainer, Byfield could be one of the most athletically gifted players in the NHL, and have a similar gap between him and Eichel in that category (which is impressive).

Its a big if, but if a few things go his way, he could grown into a 6'6 230-240lb behemoth that can score and skate like an elite #1 center. Pair him with a huge bruising scorer like say Brady Tkachuk, and it would be and absolute nightmare for opposing teams to handle.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Thanks for sharing. Love your videos. I was watching all of those clips of him shooting on the rush and it really put me in mind of Hossa: different position, but the way he charges into the zone and shoots that wrister in stride with his hands close together up at the top of his stick.
He also hounds pucks like Hossa. When he is really playing his back pressure is very reminiscent of Hossa. I think at this point he is being over scouted people are looking for issues. All of the criticism I see of him can be corrected and is not out of the norm for a 17 year old. I think he would benefit from not playing in the NHL next year he is not even close to being 18 and with the season cut short he is missing out on important development time. Probably better options than the CHL but id prefer that to rushing him and bringing him a year closer to UFA.

I do think he has the highest ceiling in the draft. Lafreniere is clearly who you take at 1 but Byfields physical package comes along once a decade so if youre picking 2 or 3 he has to be the choice. He see's the ice well too, once his game matures, he grows into his frame and his edgework gets better he is going to be a force.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Listen man your talking to someone from Sudbury, aka a big Wolves fan, and one of the biggest Byfield fans out there. Ive seen him more than you (Im assuming), and I think hes a future star regardless of where he plays next season.

I have ZERO doubts whatsoever that he could be an NHL player next year, and hes probably going to look better than say Jack Hughes did, or Kakko, or even your boy Kirby.

But having said that. I would like to see him mature further as a dominant two way guy and learn how to be a physical force (and add that part to his game) before he goes to the NHL and starts finding his way there.

Hes never been able to physically dominate his peers before because hes been playing up an age since before he was allowed to bodycheck, And thats why hes still playing more of a skilled game and wasting some of his tools - and we want those dormant tools of his to be his primary focus next year in junior.

Im very convinced that this extra year of seasoning in junior will go a long way towards reaching that massive potential of his. And if the Sens draft him, Im 100% convinced they stick with their rebuilding plan of not rushing anyone (like weve seen the oilers do).
Excellent post.

Reactions: Samsquanch

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
He also hounds pucks like Hossa. When he is really playing his back pressure is very reminiscent of Hossa. I think at this point he is being over scouted people are looking for issues. All of the criticism I see of him can be corrected and is not out of the norm for a 17 year old. I think he would benefit from not playing in the NHL next year he is not even close to being 18 and with the season cut short he is missing out on important development time. Probably better options than the CHL but id prefer that to rushing him and bringing him a year closer to UFA.

I do think he has the highest ceiling in the draft. Lafreniere is clearly who you take at 1 but Byfields physical package comes along once a decade so if youre picking 2 or 3 he has to be the choice. He see's the ice well too, once his game matures, he grows into his frame and his edgework gets better he is going to be a force.

Hossa eh. I never saw the connection before tbh. But I can definitely see some similarities in the shot (like the other guy mentioned) and by the way hes covering a ton of ice with his speed and wingspan when hes hounding the puck. And while neither are bruisers, they impose their size and skill in those 1 on 1 puck battles, and by attacking the net with athleticism and skill.

And while hes got a ways to go to get to Hossa's level of defensive excellence, hes said on multiple occasions how its his goal to be known as a two way guy at the next level, and that hes working hard to get better there. So with his high hockey IQ, and with some good coaching hopefully he can get there sooner rather than later.

Its hilarious to think that hes only going to be 21 years old in 3.5 years from now. Still a green kid by nearly every measure in the NHL. Even if it takes another 2 years after that to become a huge two way force, some team is still going to be laughing while hes wreaking the league for another decade after he figures it all out.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I really think more prospects should start looking at European leagues when they are clearly too good for juniors but still too raw for the NHL level.

IMO, all of Byfield, Perfetti, and Rossi would benefit very little from returning to the CHL.

Hope Byfield goes to Mannheim when Stutzle goes to AHL. :p

Reactions: Nabrules

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

And MacKinnon had the same kind of production when he played at the WJC at 17 years old. Team Canada likes tu used more there 19 years player so when a young player like them make the team, they doesn’t play alote (except McDavid, Crosby)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad