C Quinton Byfield - Sudbury Wolves, OHL (2020 Draft) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
What? Byfield IS Sudbury’s offense and is lethal directing the powerplay. He is a master at attacking the zone, stopping up and finding the open man. If you’re saying that he just attacks off the rush as it seems you are, you simply have not watched him play. If you’re saying that his game is built around fast transitions and quick pressure, then I say that’s exactly what the modern NHL is all about and exactly how Connor freakin McDavid has become the best player in the world.

I cannot believe this thread went from denigrating a barely 17 year old kid’s less than optimal use of his size, to questioning his offensive upside as a whole. The skating, puck protection, soft hands, vision, and wrist shot are already ridiculous and can only improve. Compare this season to Lafreniere’s last season: significantly better production with arguably less help, with a 40-day age difference. Then add on that he’s probably the best two-way forward who will go in the first round (maybe not better than Lundell, but he’s 11 months younger than him as well).

There is zero doubt he goes 2. The only question is if he hits his 100+ point franchise-defining potential. And if he is best served in pursuing that potential by spending another year in the OHL.

I think it's very, optimistic to think he has 100+ point potential but not completely asinine.

Agree to disagree, but by your deciding response, it appears you've watched him more than me. Doesn't change that I'm a skeptic, much like many other people rightfully are. He's not a slam-dunk player. Those are McDavids, Matthews, and Eichels.
McMullet's comment above is more-less what I think of his play. His max potential to me is 85 points each year.

And again, I state he should not fall past pick #4 in this draft because of his obvious talent.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I think it's very, optimistic to think he has 100+ point potential but not completely asinine.

Agree to disagree, but by your deciding response, it appears you've watched him more than me. Doesn't change that I'm a skeptic, much like many other people rightfully are. He's not a slam-dunk player. Those are McDavids, Matthews, and Eichels.
McMullet's comment above is more-less what I think of his play. His max potential to me is 85 points each year.

And again, I state he should not fall past pick #4 in this draft because of his obvious talent.

I’d say he has 100pt potential for sure as very few players have the tools that he does, but I think it’s unlikely he hits that potential as he hasn’t really put it all together.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

smokingwriter

Apr 21, 2018
I’d say he has 100pt potential for sure as very few players have the tools that he does, but I think it’s unlikely he hits that potential as he hasn’t really put it all together.
I root for him, since he's an easy athlete to like, but I worry, too. He hasn't distinguished himself in international competition, and that's the litmus test for me: it's a lot easier to be dominant against watered-down CHL competition than against world-class opponents who hate you because of the jersey you're wearing and who are geared to beat you. I sometimes question his hockey IQ, since he doesn't look too amenable to changing things up when his usual game doesn't work. But he has a lot of class and maturity as a young man, so maybe it will all come together for him.

I still think that rating Stuzle ahead of him is ludicrous (for now), but I hope Byfield takes a huge step forward when next season arrives. His WJC was not impressive, and he was put in a position to succeed, unlike Mackinnon in 2013.

I do know that, if Quinton was American, he'd be the most hyped player in the draft since Crosby. We all know how it goes.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I root for him, since he's an easy athlete to like, but I worry, too. He hasn't distinguished himself in international competition, and that's the litmus test for me: it's a lot easier to be dominant against watered-down CHL competition than against world-class opponents who hate you because of the jersey you're wearing and who are geared to beat you. I sometimes question his hockey IQ, since he doesn't look too amenable to changing things up when his usual game doesn't work. But he has a lot of class and maturity as a young man, so maybe it will all come together for him.

I still think that rating Stuzle ahead of him is ludicrous (for now), but I hope Byfield takes a huge step forward when next season arrives. His WJC was not impressive, and he was put in a position to succeed, unlike Mackinnon in 2013.

I do know that, if Quinton was American, he'd be the most hyped player in the draft since Crosby. We all know how it goes.
I’ll stop you right there. I just read yesterday how Byfield has the best production relative to top competition in the entire class of eligible CHLers. As in, better than Lafreniere, Rossi, and the other players with over 2.0 P/G in offensive performance against top teams in their leagues.

smokingwriter

Apr 21, 2018
I’ll stop you right there. I just read yesterday how Byfield has the best production relative to top competition in the entire class of eligible CHLers. As in, better than Lafreniere, Rossi, and the other players with over 2.0 P/G in offensive performance against top teams in their leagues.
That's great to hear. I hope he becomes a superstar; he is an easy player to root for. Perhaps I am putting too much weight on the WJCs. I think it is an important tournament because of the calibre of the competition, because of the pressure playing for Canada, and because (let's face it) there is a long line-up of people within the IIHF who want us to lose this tourney every year. It's a hostile, intense, two weeks, so I do value it. But it remains only two weeks, and there is a lot more that should be taken into account.

I hope Quinton becomes an absolute monster.

Reactions: Dominance

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
LOLLL literally comments how the Byfield thread is only always negative and then some idiots proceed to write 2 whole pages of just negativity. No one cares about your concerns anymore, give it a rest. Go spread your negativity on Stutzle or someone else for a change

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011

smokingwriter

Apr 21, 2018

Why are you mentioning Matthews and Eichel as slam-dunk players, but not Mackinnon, who is still better than both of them, and only a little older?

McGilliScout

Apr 12, 2020
That's great to hear. I hope he becomes a superstar; he is an easy player to root for. Perhaps I am putting too much weight on the WJCs. I think it is an important tournament because of the calibre of the competition, because of the pressure playing for Canada, and because (let's face it) there is a long line-up of people within the IIHF who want us to lose this tourney every year. It's a hostile, intense, two weeks, so I do value it. But it remains only two weeks, and there is a lot more that should be taken into account.

I hope Quinton becomes an absolute monster.

I do think it's worth pointing out that Quinton is significantly younger than the competition at a tournament like this year's WJC. I understand those who are worried due to his lack of production there but that's worth keeping in mind. If Byfield returns to the OHL next year I fully expect him to be among the very best at the WJC.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It's also tough for big, tall, still growing 17 yo kids to get their damn body under control. It's hard to perform when your body changes on a monthly basis. That's why I hope that whoever takes him remains patient, and doesn't rush him into the NHL. You know that guys like Reaves and Foligno will be taking runs at him as soon as he does...best you give him a chance to fill out.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

CambieKev

Scout. Future Considerations, Dobber Prospects.
Aug 26, 2019
Here is a look at Quinton Byfield's game against the Mississauga Steelheads on March 1, 2020.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey

I’d be inclined to agree. I said in the poll that I think Byfield is closer to Lafreniere than Stutzle is to Byfield.

If the draft ends up happening in late summer, though, I think everyone will be in agreement. Stutzle at 2 is a bit of a fad that’s going around the scouting community, but once everyone realizes it’s not exciting or unique or gathering clicks anymore they’ll set themselves straight.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
In my opinion Stutzle went from being underrated at the beginning of the year to fairly rated near the end of 2019 as a top 5 guy in the same tier as Holtz, Raymond, Perfetti and Rossi. But ever seen 2020 hit I feel he’s getting overrated.

Byfield is everyone’s wiping boy since the world juniors and Stutzle, everyone’s sweet heart

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I agree with the ppl saying Stutzle should not be ranked ahead of Byfield however I would take Drysdale over Byfield. Drysdale reminds me of Quinn Hughes and Byfield reminds me of Dylan Strome pre draft.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Why because he's a big center that put up a lot of points? The comparison stops there.

He skates better but he has similar struggles to Strome with increased pace of play, he hasn't shown he's able to adapt and most of that is mental. I do think he's a better all-round prospect than Strome.

With how good Stutzle is I would say he's a slightly safer pick with similar upside. He seems to have that "it" factor where he expects himself to be a difference maker. Put it another way, if they were the same size what consideration is there for Byfield over Stutzle? I don't think he does anything better.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
He skates better but he has similar struggles to Strome with increased pace of play, he hasn't shown he's able to adapt and most of that is mental. I do think he's a better all-round prospect than Strome.

With how good Stutzle is I would say he's a slightly safer pick with similar upside. He seems to have that "it" factor where he expects himself to be a difference maker. Put it another way, if they were the same size what consideration is there for Byfield over Stutzle? I don't think he does anything better.
A way better shot, better top end speed, better in transition, better two way play, will stick at C.

I love Stutzle but man has he become extremely overrated lately. It doesn't really make sense either because his play declined after the world juniors yet his stock still just continues to go up. It's like the second a scout said teams think he can stick at center in the NHL everyone jumped on the train.

Last edited:

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

Here's the thing, they aren't the same size, and any analysis that emphasizes removing one of the biggest factors that favor one of the prospects but allows the other prospect to have everything working in their favor is probably not an analysis that should be used by anyone looking for an unbiased opinion.

"But what if Stutzle was an average skater, what would Stutzle do markedly better than Byfield?" I don't care because Stutzle isn't an average skater, and a lot of what projects him as a top 5 pick relies heavily on his skating ability.

If you want to break down the tools, I think Byfield is in the same tier of skater as Stutzle despite the size difference. Stutzle might be more agile, might be a little quicker, but Byfield has phenomenal skating ability, and is going to be damn near impossible to knock off stride. Byfield's shot is top 10 in the draft, where Stutzle's isn't on the radar. In terms of their playmaking style, Byfield tends to be more direct in how he gets the job done, where Stutzle often relies on his feet to open up passing lanes (which I do believe can partly be attributed to the open ice in Europe). Both aren't great defensively, but seem interested enough that I don't think they are going to be liabilities as they mature in the NHL.

I have a clear divide between the two with Byfield ahead.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
He has 100 point potential, and he should go 2nd overall.

People putting way too much stock into the WJC. He's almost a full year younger than Lafreniere. Lafreniere didn't dazzle anyone in the WJC the year before. I'd also say that it's arguable that Byfield had a better 17 year old season than Lafreniere did.

I think Byfield gets at least 40 points in the NHL next year. Crazy how low people have him due to a tournament where he was the youngest player on his team.

Nathan MacKinnon was in a similar situation his draft year. Put up 1 assist in 6 games (vs QB55s 1 in 7 games) at the WJC as a 17 year old, then followed that up with a 63 point season for the Avs as an 18 year old.

I think Byfield will do something similar, maybe to a lesser extent, even though he's way more ready physically than MacK was.

Reactions: MBH and Dominance

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
If Byfield ends up being an 80+ point guy, that is your franchise center to build a cup contender around. I mean, neither Eichal or Matthews have hit 85 points yet either, and while showing scoring pace to hit 90 points, that is an absolutely elite pace. The difference between being an 80 and 100 point player, is often line mates. I think Eichal's production is really elite given his lack of support - you look at the big scorers in the league, it mostly around being on an elite line and powerplay with other top 20 players (Boston, Edmonton, Colorado, Toronto).

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
He has 100 point potential, and he should go 2nd overall.

People putting way too much stock into the WJC. He's almost a full year younger than Lafreniere. Lafreniere didn't dazzle anyone in the WJC the year before. I'd also say that it's arguable that Byfield had a better 17 year old season than Lafreniere did.

I think Byfield gets at least 40 points in the NHL next year. Crazy how low people have him due to a tournament where he was the youngest player on his team.

Nathan MacKinnon was in a similar situation his draft year. Put up 1 assist in 6 games (vs QB55s 1 in 7 games) at the WJC as a 17 year old, then followed that up with a 63 point season for the Avs as an 18 year old.

I think Byfield will do something similar, maybe to a lesser extent, even though he's way more ready physically than MacK was.

I don't want to see Byfield in the NHL next year although I think the team that drafts him will keep him there. It would be better to get at least one more year of junior imo, the extra year helped players like Drasaitl a ton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad