C Quinton Byfield - Sudbury Wolves, OHL (2020 Draft) II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
His subpar wjc didn’t help
What confuses me is that from what I saw of the WJC, Byfield was pretty good for being 17. Like I just went back and I'm watching Canada vs Switzerland, and Byfield is good here. He looks smart and engaged, and his skill is evident. He's done a good job of setting up his teammates for scoring chances, has forechecked hard to keep possession alive, and hasn't been a problem defensively.

Are people just looking at his numbers? I know he gets benched later on in the tournament, but from this game I don't really see why.

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
What confuses me is that from what I saw of the WJC, Byfield was pretty good for being 17. Like I just went back and I'm watching Canada vs Switzerland, and Byfield is good here. He looks smart and engaged, and his skill is evident.

Are people just looking at his numbers?

He wasn’t very noticeable in that tournament, and definitely never ‘took over’. Didn’t see any end to end rushes or dominance on with the puck in the offensive zone.

But whatever it’s one tournament.

Jul 30, 2005
He wasn’t very noticeable in that tournament, and definitely never ‘took over’. Didn’t see any end to end rushes or dominance on with the puck in the offensive zone.

But whatever it’s one tournament.
I mean, were we expecting a 17 year old to take over? We probably shouldn't have been. Nathan MacKinnon had a similar type of WJC where he didn't really get to play a lot.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I mean, were we expecting a 17 year old to take over? We probably shouldn't have been. Nathan MacKinnon had a similar type of WJC where he didn't really get to play a lot.

Probably not but those are some expectations for a top-2 pick, even if they’re unfair

Reactions: Doanator

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
While, I'm not going to hold the WJC heavily against Byfield, there situations weren't quite the same. Spott gave MacKinnon no opportunity to move up the line-up. He basically started as the 13th forward and ended as the 13th forward.

It was bound to happen though. He got overrated prior to the WJC with some people trying to put him in the Matthews/Eichel/Tavares/Stamkos tier of center prospects. For whatever reason, he provokes polarized takes.

Reactions: Doanator and c3z4r
Jul 30, 2005
Byfield got a shot in the top 6 during the preliminary games with Barrett Hayton and lost the spot.
Is the fact that it was Hayton specifically supposed to be significant here? Admittedly, I'm not a Hayton fan.

So, okay. He got a shot in the top 6 with a player who is, shall we say, difficult to play with at times, and didn't make anything of it. I'm not sure what that proves. Sometimes players don't have immediate chemistry. Sometimes players don't have chemistry at all.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Is the fact that it was Hayton specifically supposed to be significant here? Admittedly, I'm not a Hayton fan.

So, okay. He got a shot in the top 6 with a player who is, shall we say, difficult to play with at times, and didn't make anything of it. I'm not sure what that proves. Sometimes players don't have immediate chemistry. Sometimes players don't have chemistry at all.
The point was, MacKinnon never got any such opportunity.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Okay, so Byfield got 1 opportunity, MacKinnon didn't get any. I don't think that should change our opinions much.
He got the warm-up games with a good chance to earn a top 6 role. I'm not saying overly punish him for it. He didn't capitalize on the opportunity, something MacKinnon never got. But, I will say people overhyped him entering the tournament, and not people are pushing back because he didn't live up to expectations. Not saying its fair, the truth obviously lies in the middle.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Barkov must has been livid when MacKinnon went #1 over him, despite having the much better WJC that year. Drouin and Jones, too, now that I think about it.

To repeat what someone else said, Byfield was actually given a shot in a top 6 role unlike most 17year olds because the offense wasn’t very deep. He didn’t look good in that role and got demoted/benched which is what most are finding disappointing.

That plus the fact it’s becoming a trend where he hasn’t been able to take over any tournaments/events he’s been in for 2 years now when faced with tougher competition despite his OHL play/stats saying he should. He’s been outperformed by his peers in these events.

Also I will add that Mackinnons play at the WJC did drop him in the rankings with quite a few people as well. His play at the memorial cup brought him back to #1

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
This is also (as of the 40 game mark) the highest scoring OHL season in over 20 years. So, his offensive numbers are going to appear better than his offensive game does to the eye.

Still, 6'4 centers who can skate and score will always be a hot commodity.

Reactions: nally

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018

Lafreniere didn't do squat at his first WJs when he was 17. Lucky for him he missed the NHL draft by a few weeks and got one more kick at the can as a 18 year old. He made the best of it. I came into the season thinking Byfield had a shot at overtaking Lafreniere for 1OA, just because I prefer big centers who can skate, score and make plays, but Lafreniere is the legit #1 and Byfield is #2. Nothing wrong with that.

If Byfield were to get his 2nd shot at the junior team next year he'd be in the running for tourney MVP. but that's not likely going to happen.

but fingers crossed, you never know.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Lafreniere didn't do squat at his first WJs when he was 17. Lucky for him he missed the NHL draft by a few weeks and got one more kick at the can as a 18 year old. He made the best of it. I came into the season thinking Byfield had a shot at overtaking Lafreniere for 1OA, just because I prefer big centers who can skate, score and make plays, but Lafreniere is the legit #1 and Byfield is #2. Nothing wrong with that.

If Byfield were to get his 2nd shot at the junior team next year he'd be in the running for tourney MVP. but that's not likely going to happen.

but fingers crossed, you never know.
Exactly, people are acting like Laffy just stepped right into the WJC and dominated.. As you just reminded people, this was his second go round...

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
So what was your opinion of LaFreniere putting up the same type of performance last season??

Lafreniere was in his draft-1 year and didn't have much of a role on the team, yet I still believe he had a better tournament regardless. I'm sure Byfield will be great and he is lighting up the OHL, I think that most people get to watch him when he's on national TV (WJC, Top Prospects Game, etc) and he has been underwhelming in that small sample size, so naturally he will be a bit underrated compared to those who see him in the OHL regularly.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Lafreniere was in his draft-1 year and didn't have much of a role on the team, yet I still believe he had a better tournament regardless. I'm sure Byfield will be great and he is lighting up the OHL, I think that most people get to watch him when he's on national TV (WJC, Top Prospects Game, etc) and he has been underwhelming in that small sample size, so naturally he will be a bit underrated compared to those who see him in the OHL regularly.

How many times do I have to go over this. The NHL's arbitrary date for the purposes of their pro draft has absolutely ZERO to do with an IIHF international tournament. Lafreniere's first experience at the WJC he was 17 years and 2 months old (give or take) Byfield 1'st WJC experience he was 17 years old and 5 months old. (give or take)

I repeat- talk of draft -1 vs. draft year is irrelevant in a age tournament. it's a nonsensical argument.

Reactions: Darkseider and Deas
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad