C Quinton Byfield - Sudbury Wolves, OHL (2020 Draft) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
If Byfield were to fall to the Sens--a Byfield-Tkachuk duo would be a nightmare for opponents.

The size of the Sens prospects scare me at times. If they all hit, you could potentially see a top 6 of

Tkatchuk (6'4") - Byfield (6'4"+) - Batherson (6'2")
Formenton (6'2") - Brown (6'6") - Holtz (6'1)

Size doesn't win but bring big and skilled definitely helps.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
The size of the Sens prospects scare me at times. If they all hit, you could potentially see a top 6 of

Tkatchuk (6'4") - Byfield (6'4"+) - Batherson (6'2")
Formenton (6'2") - Brown (6'6") - Holtz (6'1)

Size doesn't win but bring big and skilled definitely helps.

Norris (6'1 195lbs) and Pinto (6'2 200lbs) are also both considered top prospects for the Sens, to add further to your point :naughty:

Byfield would be the perfect compliment and could potentially make the Sens a scary group to match up against, especially if they are playing DJ Smiths physical brand of hockey.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Daigle busting was more about attitude/effort level than talent.

Daigle was overhyped at the time, but if he actually put forth the effort to train, watch video, and worked on the weakpoints of his game he could have been a 60-80 point winger. Instead he half assed it, tried the same move that worked for him in junior all the time even when NHL defensemen caught on, and seemed more interested in being a movie star and celebrity than becoming a better hockey player. He even went on record to state that he didn't really love playing and wanted to do something else in life.

Yeah, exactly. It was his dad's dream to play in the NHL, not his. Kinda sad, really.

But boy oh boy was he ever a great junior. Man.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Norris (6'1 195lbs) and Pinto (6'2 200lbs) are also both considered top prospects for the Sens, to add further to your point :naughty:

Byfield would be the perfect compliment and could potentially make the Sens a scary group to match up against, especially if they are playing DJ Smiths physical brand of hockey.

That's a lot of skilled beef.

It's also one of the reasons I think all things being equal Kings will go for Byfield. Their roster isn't huge anymore and many of the prospects are below average height/weight. Aside from MacDermid, all the current d-men are 6'1 and down, and all the better prospects aside from Vilardi, Kaliyev, and Kupari are 6 feet and down.

They've got SOME size in the system but it's mostly longshots. Their draft philosophy has been turned on its head from several years ago.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Once you have some size on your squad, it allows you to pick talent, regardless of size. If you have talented size, all the better. The game has changed to one that is favoring speed and skill more than in the past, but size, strength, and physicality still matter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dominance

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be

so all the more reason for the kings to draft Byfield

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Byfield doesn't utilize his size the way tkachuk does, but if he learns do it it you're right. Those two could wreck havoc.
It’s an area he improved on significantly after the WJC. A podcast with his junior coaches talked about how after the WJC it basically clicked for him, how to use his size and he started using his power much more effectively. They talked about how he’d already improved on his puck protection but was starting to be much more aggressive physically.

I don’t think using his size effectively will be much of an issue and even if he ‘only’ does it like Kopitar I will take it. Kopitar is big and strong and protects the puck as well as anyone, he doesn’t crush people and we don’t need him to either. If we got that from Byfield I’d be delighted.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
so all the more reason for the kings to draft Byfield

Yawn..is this still how LA fans are spending their energy?

Bottom line is that we arent ever going to know until draft day who LA likes more. We all have read and heard the speculation and are free to draw our own conclusions.

All that the kings and sens fans can actually do is hope that we get our personal preference on draft day (which clearly seems to be Byfield at this point for both us).

But coming from a MASSIVE Byfield fan and a biased Wolves/Sens homer, Im going to be sad for about 30 seconds if we end up with Stutzle. That should tell you something about the quality of these two players.

Believe it or not I have some inside info on Tim Stutzle by knowing someone who played with him last season (and former NHLer). And hes done nothing but assure me that that TS has the potential to go supernova in his prime. Hes actually #2 on many scouts list, and its not because they are low on Byfield either.

Point being is that if someone whos been pumping Byfields tires up relentlessly on here for 2 years (feel free to check my history) is not too worried about who the Sens get at the draft, then neither should you be. Both teams are walking away with a potential elite #1C.

:cheers:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Yawn..is this still how LA fans are spending their energy?

Bottom line is that we arent ever going to know until draft day who LA likes more. We all have read and heard the speculation and are free to draw our own conclusions.

All that the kings and sens fans can actually do is hope that we get our personal preference on draft day (which clearly seems to be Byfield at this point for both us).

But coming from a MASSIVE Byfield fan and a biased Wolves/Sens homer, Im going to be sad for about 30 seconds if we end up with Stutzle. That should tell you something about the quality of these two players.

Believe it or not I have some inside info on Tim Stutzle by knowing someone who played with him last season (and former NHLer). And hes done nothing but assure me that that TS has the potential to go supernova in his prime. Hes actually #2 on many scouts list, and its not because they are low on Byfield either.

Point being is that if someone whos been pumping Byfields tires up relentlessly on here for 2 years (feel free to check my history) is not too worried about who the Sens get at the draft, then neither should you be. Both teams are walking away with a potential elite #1C.

:cheers:

I truly appreciate the feedback. I am one who wants Byfield but will accept Stutzle.

Ultimately, many Kings fans are (imo rightfully) defensive because some fans:
A) treat Kings fans like we're a bunch of know-little bandwagoners
B) act like they know what's best for the Kings
And/or
C) give little credit or respect to local writers who all seem to think the Kings are after Byfield

It gets obnoxious.

Compound it with some other writers with clickbait articles suggesting the Kings are targeting Drysdale, and the Senators are more than likely to get Byfield and Stutzle, and this nonsense gets exacerbated.

Anyway, I just wanted to say I appreciate your thoughts and it is a beacon of healthy discussion. Cheers!

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I truly appreciate the feedback. I am one who wants Byfield but will accept Stutzle.

Ultimately, many Kings fans are (imo rightfully) defensive because some fans:
A) treat Kings fans like we're a bunch of know-little bandwagoners
B) act like they know what's best for the Kings
And/or
C) give little credit or respect to local writers who all seem to think the Kings are after Byfield

It gets obnoxious.

Compound it with some other writers with clickbait articles suggesting the Kings are targeting Drysdale, and the Senators are more than likely to get Byfield and Stutzle, and this nonsense gets exacerbated.

Anyway, I just wanted to say I appreciate your thoughts and it is a beacon of healthy discussion. Cheers!

2m65e0I

Reactions: King'sPawn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad