C Quinton Byfield - Sudbury Wolves, OHL (2020 Draft) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
And MacKinnon had the same kind of production when he played at the WJC at 17 years old. Team Canada likes tu used more there 19 years player so when a young player like them make the team, they doesn’t play alote (except McDavid, Crosby)

Byfield is a great prospect and I really like him/think hes going 2nd but the comparisons to Mackinnon are lazy. Mackinnon was stapled to the fourth line from the get go. Byfield was given the most opportunity I've seen for a guy his age and was demoted because of his poor play. Hes young and its a hard tourney for young guys but he didnt show any competitiveness or change up his game at all to become effective.

The fact that hes his age and was good enough to be brought to the tournament in what they were hoping would be a big role shows how well he played this year though too.

Reactions: Crosside

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
And MacKinnon had the same kind of production when he played at the WJC at 17 years old. Team Canada likes tu used more there 19 years player so when a young player like them make the team, they doesn’t play alote (except McDavid, Crosby)

The big reason why people are more down on his performance than other 17 year olds is because he was given every opportunity in the top 6 but he failed badly and was pushed down the lineup

Reactions: Crosside

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
The big reason why people are more down on his performance than other 17 year olds is because he was given every opportunity in the top 6 but he failed badly and was pushed down the lineup
He never topped 13 mins TOI. In the first 2 games he was consistently in the bottom 5 for forward TOI, and one he was ahead was another draft eligible

I'm not excusing his poor play, but it's not like he was given consistent top 6 minutes.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
He never topped 13 mins TOI. In the first 2 games he was consistently in the bottom 5 for forward TOI, and one he was ahead was another draft eligible

I'm not excusing his poor play, but it's not like he was given consistent top 6 minutes.

Yes he was, including preliminary games where he was playing poorly. Hayton was his C this is very well known

Reactions: Acadien86

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Literally every time I come on to this thread it's ALWAYS something negative about this poor kid. like seriously, given the constant negative conversations about the kid you'd think he had an awful year who is projected to go in the 3rd round.

You go on Stutzle, Lafreniere or Drysdale's page and its all peaches and cream, and rightfully so because they're great prospects who had good years, but Byfield man. By fair the most scrutinized prospect this year. Go spread your negativity elsewhere for a change

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Yes he was, including preliminary games where he was playing poorly. Hayton was his C this is very well known
Relative to toi for forwards, he was never given top 6 mins, top 9 at best. And hayton was not originally deployed as the top line center. He gained mins as the tournament went on. He only played 13 mins in that USA game.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Relative to toi for forwards, he was never given top 6 mins, top 9 at best. And hayton was not originally deployed as the top line center. He gained mins as the tournament went on. He only played 13 mins in that USA game.

He was never given top 6 forward time on ice because he started games in the top 6, played poorly and was moved down. Between preliminary games and the start of the tourney he was given opportunity and didnt run with it. He wasnt good and didnt play with much evergy at all

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I am equally certain that he will be drafted 2nd overall and that he will play in the NHL despite being better suited for another year in jr.

Such is life in the 21st century, instant gratification shall rue the day.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

In which USA game? He played 16mins the Dec 26 game. Hayton was always the #1 or #2C that’s not really debatable.

As others said, Byfield’s TOI was lower because he got benched more and as the game went on.

He’s still a tremendous talent and will be #2 or #3 by the people saying he’s better than Lafreniere at the start of the year look silly now, and there’s definitely concerns of his play when his competition picks up.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

In which USA game? He played 16mins the Dec 26 game. Hayton was always the #1 or #2C that’s not really debatable.

As others said, Byfield’s TOI was lower because he got benched more and as the game went on.

He’s still a tremendous talent and will be #2 or #3 by the people saying he’s better than Lafreniere at the start of the year look silly now, and there’s definitely concerns of his play when his competition picks up.
No matter how many times its said, people still vastly overrate the importance of a two week midseason tournament over 60+ junior games during the season.

If you think Byfield isnt a top prospect because you rate his WJC over his OHL play, you are making the classic small sample size mistake.

Had anyone ever said he isn’t a top prospect? I can actually don’t think you’ll find those words in this thread.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
I still rate Lafreniere better, but one must still remember that there is almost a full year of age difference between the two. Thats big at this age.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018

Had anyone ever said he isn’t a top prospect? I can actually don’t think you’ll find those words in this thread.

I’m definitely not singling you out here because you just may be joining the conversation and giving your valid input but I think the comment is in regards to since January there are a select few that constantly make the Byfield talk into his work junior performance instead of talking about his entire year or recent performance, making it overly negative and making it sound like he’s had a bad overall year which obviously isn’t true

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Literally every time I come on to this thread it's ALWAYS something negative about this poor kid. like seriously, given the constant negative conversations about the kid you'd think he had an awful year who is projected to go in the 3rd round.

You go on Stutzle, Lafreniere or Drysdale's page and its all peaches and cream, and rightfully so because they're great prospects who had good years, but Byfield man. By fair the most scrutinized prospect this year. Go spread your negativity elsewhere for a change

I personally don't have much to comment on his WJC as I don't look much into it, but some criticisms are very valid with him. Question marks in his game like how he generates offense and if that will truly translate to top line NHL production will continue to be asked. However, fairly, he's not the only player in the top 5 that should be criticized.

Aside from the WJC, the challenges made to him in this thread are mainly that people don't think he's a slam dunk at #2 in this draft, which is a fair assumption. As the guy firmly placed by a majority at #2, he's going to get some dragging down criticisms in comparison to players like Stutzle and Drysdale. Both of whom are fine picks at #2 but not as often regarded as such compares to Byfield. Hence why you may see more praise in their threads. Regardless, I do think this guy should be picked at the very latest at #4.

Last edited:

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I personally don't have much to comment on his WJC as I don't look much into it, but some criticisms are very valid with him. Question marks in his game like how he generates offense and if that will truly translate to top line NHL production will continue to be asked. However, fairly, he's not the only player in the top 5 that should be criticized.

Aside from the WJC, the challenges made to him in this thread are mainly that people don't think he's a slam dunk at #2 in this draft, which is a fair assumption. As the guy firmly placed by a majority at #2, he's going to get some dragging down criticisms in comparison to players like Stutzle and Drysdale. Both of whom are fine picks at #2 but not as often regarded as such compares to Byfield. Hence why you may see more praise in their threads. Regardless, I do think this guy should be picked at the very latest at #4.
“Question marks in his game like how he generates offense?”

What in the ever-loving would those be?

NYIschremp44

Oct 25, 2003
NYC
If Jason Spezza was sent back to the OHL at 18, I don't see how/why Byfield couldn't be.

For every OHL player you can think of that was returned to junior when realistically could or should have stuck on an NHL roster, there are a ton of 18 year old players that stuck the entire season on NHL rosters that maybe shouldn't have...
On the Islanders alone:
Josh Bailey
Tim Connolly
Nino Niederreiter

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I've never seen a game where Byfield has put it all together and looked great( have only seen around 5-6). Only little snippets of nice skill, but otherwise a lot of meh.

If my team picks at #2 I hope they run to the podium to pick him. There is simply too much there to miss out on. He needs at least one more year in junior, but I suspect he will be worth it.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

What I keep seeing other posters say, and what I agree with, is that he’s never stood out and at times looked rather weak when he’s played against better competition in all international tournaments or top prospect games. Especially when compared to other prospects from the 2020 draft.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
What I keep seeing other posters say, and what I agree with, is that he’s never stood out and at times looked rather weak when he’s played against better competition in all international tournaments or top prospect games. Especially when compared to other prospects from the 2020 draft.
All...10 of them?

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC

I don't feel he generates high danger chances or passes into high danger areas enough for a guy of his skill level. He's clearly got high IQ and vision but I don't like how a good chunk of his production comes off the rush. I don't know if we see elite production from him playing like this in the NHL.

Again, that's just from what I've seen of him and maybe he adapts his game.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I don't feel he generates high danger chances or passes into high danger areas enough for a guy of his skill level. He's clearly got high IQ and vision but I don't like how a good chunk of his production comes off the rush. I don't know if we see elite production from him playing like this in the NHL.

Again, that's just from what I've seen of him and maybe he adapts his game.
What? Byfield IS Sudbury’s offense and is lethal directing the powerplay. He is a master at attacking the zone, stopping up and finding the open man. If you’re saying that he just attacks off the rush as it seems you are, you simply have not watched him play. If you’re saying that his game is built around fast transitions and quick pressure, then I say that’s exactly what the modern NHL is all about and exactly how Connor freakin McDavid has become the best player in the world.

I cannot believe this thread went from denigrating a barely 17 year old kid’s less than optimal use of his size, to questioning his offensive upside as a whole. The skating, puck protection, soft hands, vision, and wrist shot are already ridiculous and can only improve. Compare this season to Lafreniere’s last season: significantly better production with arguably less help, with a 40-day age difference. Then add on that he’s probably the best two-way forward who will go in the first round (maybe not better than Lundell, but he’s 11 months younger than him as well).

There is zero doubt he goes 2. The only question is if he hits his 100+ point franchise-defining potential. And if he is best served in pursuing that potential by spending another year in the OHL.

Reactions: Sick Nuzuki

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I think Byfield would really benefit from good coaching the next couple years. His speed, size, skill, and shot are all incredible, but he really doesn't utilize them well. He's pretty young for the draft and there's clearly lot's of room for improvement. If he does learn to use his tools more to his advantage his upside is enormous.

He could probably stick in the NHL next year, but I'd want him to get sent back to the OHL so that he can learn to become a dominant force with his tools.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
All...10 of them?

Not sure what your numbers are from?

7 WJC- well documented he didn’t play well, 1pt in 7 games
5 Hlinka - 5pts in 5 games but shown up by Perfetti/Lapierre
5 U17- 3pts in 5 games, 5th on his own team and shown up by many 2020 prospects
2 Super Series - 2A in 2 games, looked pretty average
1 Top Prospects game - well documented he played very poorly here
= 20 games

And he’s been very underwhelming in all of them and constantly outperformed by other 2020 prospects

Again he’s still my #2 pick but that’s definitely a concern on why he looks so average when the competition is ramped up.

Im also not sure how you can say there’s any doubt he goes number two (unless you just mean in your mind) as plenty of lists now have him #3 or lower.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad