C Quinton Byfield - Sudbury Wolves, OHL (2020 Draft) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
82 points in 45 games this year for Quinton Byfield, 1.82 PPG and a plus 26 rating.

At the beginning of the year I expected him to have around 100 points in 60 games so he definitely met and exceeded expectations for me. From the games I watched he was fantastic. With his skill, he really is the classic “imagine if this guy was over 6 feet, he’d be a monster”. Sure he still has some inconsistencies that need improving and he needs to use his size better, but like many prospects he has things to improve upon to reach his potential, and by all accounts he has the work ethic and teachability to do that.

He has legit franchise centre upside like Matthews or Eichel. To my eyes the highest potential that is also realistic in the draft!

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
82 points in 45 games this year for Quinton Byfield, 1.82 PPG and a plus 26 rating.

At the beginning of the year I expected him to have around 100 points in 60 games so he definitely met and exceeded expectations for me. From the games I watched he was fantastic. With his skill, he really is the classic “imagine if this guy was over 6 feet, he’d be a monster”. Sure he still has some inconsistencies that need improving and he needs to use his size better, but like many prospects he has things to improve upon to reach his potential, and by all accounts he has the work ethic and teachability to do that.

He has legit franchise centre upside like Matthews or Eichel. To my eyes the highest potential that is also realistic in the draft!

yeah, I think he's higher upside than Laf, but his floor is lower by a bit.

Reactions: bert and Nabrules

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
He'd definitely be best served by going back to junior for one more year.

He could probably be a 30-50P guy in the NHL next year, but a team would be smart to let him put it all together in junior instead of rushing him and having him lose his confidence and potentially stagnate.

Reactions: bert

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
He'd definitely be best served by going back to junior for one more year.

He could probably be a 30-50P guy in the NHL next year, but a team would be smart to let him put it all together in junior instead of rushing him and having him lose his confidence and potentially stagnate.

I dont know how anyone can say this right now. Hes not going to have much to learn in junior next year and might be better off getting used to playing against men. See what the offeseason brings, he could pack on a bunch of muscle or improve in other areas over the off season.

Wait to see what he does at training camp. I would expect him to get 9 games for sure.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I think it might actually be better for Byfield to be drafted outside of the top-2. The top two picks generally get rushed into the NHL (see Hughes + Kakko). As a big guy people naturally call him NHL ready, but I don't think that's the case. He needs another year in the OHL to learn how to use his size and speed.

I don't see the 'higher ceiling than Laf' argument, however. Hockey IQ > Size, and that's the case with Laf and Byfield.

Kase

May 1, 2016
I think it might actually be better for Byfield to be drafted outside of the top-2. The top two picks generally get rushed into the NHL (see Hughes + Kakko). As a big guy people naturally call him NHL ready, but I don't think that's the case. He needs another year in the OHL to learn how to use his size and speed.

I don't see the 'higher ceiling than Laf' argument, however. Hockey IQ > Size, and that's the case with Laf and Byfield.

That argument is probably mainly based on positional value.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I really think more prospects should start looking at European leagues when they are clearly too good for juniors but still too raw for the NHL level.

IMO, all of Byfield, Perfetti, and Rossi would benefit very little from returning to the CHL.

Rossi seems to be going to the Swiss league, which should be good for him.

Reactions: wetcoast

AttilaTheFun

Nov 18, 2018
Here is the latest video I made on Quinton Byfield :)

I hope you like it. I'm might be losing my job soon :( ....the positive thing is that I will have more time to make video ahah

Thanks for sharing. Love your videos. I was watching all of those clips of him shooting on the rush and it really put me in mind of Hossa: different position, but the way he charges into the zone and shoots that wrister in stride with his hands close together up at the top of his stick.

Reactions: bert

Draft Dynasty

Oct 28, 2014
Thanks for sharing. Love your videos. I was watching all of those clips of him shooting on the rush and it really put me in mind of Hossa: different position, but the way he charges into the zone and shoots that wrister in stride with his hands close together up at the top of his stick.

Yes I can see that. If I remember correctly Hossa was really good in transition as well.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
I dont know how anyone can say this right now. Hes not going to have much to learn in junior next year and might be better off getting used to playing against men. See what the offeseason brings, he could pack on a bunch of muscle or improve in other areas over the off season.

Wait to see what he does at training camp. I would expect him to get 9 games for sure.

Exactly, I'm sick and tired of fans assuming a prospect is going to lose their confidence if they make the NHL. He has NHL size and skill, let him fix his weaknesses in the pros.

PuckProspects

Jul 23, 2018
Will any prospect other than Laf be ready for the NHL next year?

And does it even matter, long term ceiling is what teams should be looking for IMO.

Nope doesn't matter in the slightest. Being NHL ready shouldn't be a factor in drafting a player, only how they will be in 3-5 years. It just seems like most people expect Byfield to play next year and I don't see it

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Literally no one knows if he’ll be ready or not, depends on how much he accomplishes this summer. Only Lafreniere is certain at this point becuase he’s older.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Literally no one knows if he’ll be ready or not, depends on how much he accomplishes this summer. Only Lafreniere is certain at this point becuase he’s older.
Not just because he's older. His game is more NHL ready. He's more developed. Lot's of people are older.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I really think more prospects should start looking at European leagues when they are clearly too good for juniors but still too raw for the NHL level.

IMO, all of Byfield, Perfetti, and Rossi would benefit very little from returning to the CHL.

If this were true, you wouldn't see so many European players leave those leagues for the CHL. Unless it's to get paid like Matthews did, you have to go learn a different and far less physical game on European ice when you're already adept at the surface of which NHL hockey is played.

I think around this board there is too much belittling of the CHL by people who don't watch CHL games.

Reactions: d rake

CoyoteNorth

Mar 30, 2020
Zero question he plays in the NHL next season. It's just a matter of if it'll be 9 games or more. I don't think that decision is based on if Byfield is ready, more so which team selects him. If he goes to New Jersey or he goes to Detroit, the chances he plays differs based on what those teams have available at the NHL level right now. Devils can let him play another year of junior. Red Wings would probably be more inclined to integrate him into the line up right away.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Here is the latest video I made on Quinton Byfield :)

I hope you like it. I'm might be losing my job soon :( ....the positive thing is that I will have more time to make video ahah

Hang in there bro, hopefully it all works our for ya. I went and subbed as my paltry way of being charitable, if it means anything.

Sick video btw, good analysis, but I do disagree with your hesitation to take him with the 2nd pick. Its gotta be him. God bless the Wolves, but if he was on a high powered southern team, his numbers would be up and his hype level would off the charts right now.

Every weakness in his game is something that is a symptom of being as young as he is. Hes got every tool and the hockey sense to be elite. And he will figure out lots of ways to score goals when the rush isnt available (and with elite/NHL caliber players to feed).

I think that he has a good chance of being a prime Eric Stall in terms of caliber and style of play (hopefully without the steep decline though, obviously..).

Last edited:
Reactions: livingod
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad