C Peyton Krebs - Winnipeg Ice, WHL (2019, 17th, VGK) | Trade to BUF

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I’m not worried. If he’s there at 12 we’d be stupid not to take him.
Depends who else is there. Sounds like a fluke injury caused by another player, not something that went on it's own. There is now way that a scouting staff will just ignore such an injury. It's possible that it will set his development back at least a year. That's something important to teams.

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
Hate seeing this, One of my personal faves. Teams will dig into medical and that should dictate amount (if any) slide on draft day. Krebs was almost certainly headed back to the WHL so if teams like their findings it shouldn't destroy his draft day. He's too good and the NHL team isn't losing him, Winnipeg WHL fans are.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Perfect for a team with extra 1st pick. Col? NYR? LA?

Avs should jump at him at #16.
Usually our prospects only get the career threatening injuries after we draft them (Hishon, Bigras, Timmins (by the way is there any team as unlucky with their prospects when it comes to concussions as us?) ). Would be nice to get ahead of the trend and pick a guy that hopefully has his big injury already behind him and will only be available due to this injury.

Especially given that I am pretty sure that Hawks will take Turcotte and a Byram/Krebs combo would be quite the consolation prize...

But all of it will also depend on medicals a bit.
Anyone have recent comparables of NHL players coming back from an Achilles injury and how it affected their game in the longrun?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
No it's not good but he's young, he'll make a full recovery and I doubt it takes him off of many draft boards.
That was never said or implied by anyone, or not me, certainly, but I can sure see him dropping. We have no idea of the extent of the tear, and (most) of us are not doctors, and even they would not venture an opinion unless they could view his chart, and even then you can never predict 100% how a person heals.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Avs should jump at him at #16.
Usually our prospects only get the career threatening injuries after we draft them (Hishon, Bigras, Timmins (by the way is there any team as unlucky with their prospects when it comes to concussions as us?) ). Would be nice to get ahead of the trend and pick a guy that hopefully has his big injury already behind him and will only be available due to this injury.

Especially given that I am pretty sure that Hawks will take Turcotte and a Byram/Krebs combo would be quite the consolation prize...

But all of it will also depend on medicals a bit.
Anyone have recent comparables of NHL players coming back from an Achilles injury and how it affected their game in the longrun?
Yes they should. I know the feeling: Morin, Rubstov, Laberge, all early picks + all our goalies last season. Luck should turn soon.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
That was never said or implied by anyone, or not me, certainly, but I can sure see him dropping. We have no idea of the extent of the tear, and (most) of us are not doctors, and even they would not venture an opinion unless they could view his chart, and even then you can never predict 100% how a person heals.

Of course not but there's so many posts about him now sliding down draft boards with the little information given to us.

Achilles injuries are serious but I'm pretty sure he'll make a full recovery and be just fine long term. Are there any examples of a draftee suffering an Achilles tear and never bring the same again?
I'd be more concerned if he had an injury history or had back or concussion issues.

Last edited:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Agreed, bad injury but his ultimate status will depend on what teams find out when they dig in.
Exactly. Have Docs in my immediate family, and they would never say anything definitive unless they were;
1- skilled in the area of medicine the injury is in.
2- could see the actual X-rays of the tear, and the chart of the patient at a minimum.

Hope the best for him. I was praying that he would drop to the Wild, but thought it unlikely. Now seems much more likely. Will Fenton have the patience to take him, and put up with the extra year or so of Pejorative Slured development?

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Daughter here besides me is a sports physio at Canadian University (speed skating and football mostly) and without knowing how "partial" the tear is, she would not expect him to play next season. With good rehab doesnt expect a significant loss of power going forward.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think it would be stupid to change the ranking of a prospect in the draft based on an Achilles tear after the season. He’ll likely miss a few months next season, but so will other prospects who have other injuries. It’s unfortunate for the kid and hopefully he recovers quickly.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I think it would be stupid to change the ranking of a prospect in the draft based on an Achilles tear after the season. He’ll likely miss a few months next season, but so will other prospects who have other injuries. It’s unfortunate for the kid and hopefully he recovers quickly.

It certainly will have an impact on his stock. Believing anything else would be foolish.
The question is just how badly it will affect him. We are very far into the draft process already so I wouldn't be surprised if a team in the 8-12 range that has fallen in love with him will just say screw it and pick him anyways.

But given how close the second tier of forwards and Ds in this draft are, it also wouldn't surprise me if this injury drops him down quite a bit. A lot of it will obviously deped on the doctors opinion on the injury but even if it looks good, GMs will have to think twice.

Achilles injuries are among the worst injuries an athlete can get. Its not about him missing a couple of months. I don't care about that at all. Its about whether he can ever regain the same level of mobility and athleticism as he had before. I mean we are not talking about hobby athletes here. We are talking about elite athletes where just losing a small step due to this injury could significantly alter his ultimate upside and his projection going forward. And even if he at his young age can make close to a full recovery, it will probably still significantly impact his development negatively during the next 24 months.

Just look at Sidney Jones for example. An Achilles for a NFL player is obviously much worse but that dude tore his Achilles in the weeks before the draft just like Krebs did and dropped from a lock for a top15 pick to the 2nd round. And just now in training camp for the first time 2 years later he is starting to look somewhat of the player he had looked like pre-injury.

I hope the Avs take him at #16 cause I really love him as a prospect but make no mistake. This is really, really bad for him as a prospect and probably for his stock 2 weeks from now.

Reactions: derriko and Fighter

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It certainly will have an impact on his stock. Believing anything else would be foolish.
The question is just how badly it will affect him. We are very far into the draft process already so I wouldn't be surprised if a team in the 8-12 range that has fallen in love with him will just say screw it and pick him anyways.

But given how close the second tier of forwards and Ds in this draft are, it also wouldn't surprise me if this injury drops him down quite a bit. A lot of it will obviously deped on the doctors opinion on the injury but even if it looks good, GMs will have to think twice.

Achilles injuries are among the worst injuries an athlete can get. Its not about him missing a couple of months. I don't care about that at all. Its about whether he can ever regain the same level of mobility and athleticism as he had before. I mean we are not talking about hobby athletes here. We are talking about elite athletes where just losing a small step due to this injury could significantly alter his ultimate upside and his projection going forward. And even if he at his young age can make close to a full recovery, it will probably still significantly impact his development negatively during the next 24 months.

Just look at Sidney Jones for example. An Achilles for a NFL player is obviously much worse but that dude tore his Achilles in the weeks before the draft just like Krebs did and dropped from a lock for a top15 pick to the 2nd round. And just now in training camp for the first time 2 years later he is starting to look somewhat of the player he had looked like pre-injury.

I hope the Avs take him at #16 cause I really love him as a prospect but make no mistake. This is really, really bad for him as a prospect and probably for his stock 2 weeks from now.

I said ranking. I don’t know how it’ll effect where he gets drafted. I don’t think any of us do.

Injuries are one of the many things that teams have to factor in when making a pick. Unless we are talking about an injury that a team’s doctors think is likely to be a big problem down the road, I think making too much of injuries that’ll likely effect only a few months of hockey is not a good decision.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I said ranking. I don’t know how it’ll effect where he gets drafted. I don’t think any of us do.

Injuries are one of the many things that teams have to factor in when making a pick. Unless we are talking about an injury that a team’s doctors think is likely to be a big problem down the road, I think making too much of injuries that’ll likely effect only a few months of hockey is not a good decision.

Generally I agree. But not if we are talking Achilles injuries. Its not as bad in hockey as it is in football, basketball or soccer but it is still a devastating injury that is very hard to 100% recover from...
Again I don't care about him missing a few months. Its about whether he can get back to being the same athlete as he was pre-injury. Modern medicine has taken incredible steps forward when it comes to treating sports injuries in the last decade or two. But Achilles injuries are a bit different IMO. It is still incredibly hard to come back from them. It is not a death sentence for your career anymore but it is certainly not comparable to a bum shoulder or even an ACL tear.

Reactions: biturbo19

Corey Pronman

Jun 24, 2010
When I was talking to teams about the injury before reporting it, I never got the sense from any of them they thought it was that serious to dramatically alter the player's draft status, probably because it is a partial tear but never got into those details and should have included that in my initial tweet. Teams said if there was a change, instead of say 6-10 for example, he may be 10-14 now or something.

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
Daughter here besides me is a sports physio at Canadian University (speed skating and football mostly) and without knowing how "partial" the tear is, she would not expect him to play next season. With good rehab doesnt expect a significant loss of power going forward.

I have a friend who is a Doctor he tore his twice. It ain't no paper cut. lol

If this happened a month ago I would've been all over NHL teams trying to get info before our final ranking. If I didn't get as much info as I wanted or got some "might be" or "not sure" or "don't knows" he would've dropped on our ranking. I'm a huge Krebs fan, but I can't rank a player at#6 (our ranking) and just hope everything will be ok. If I dig in and hear great stuff from sources I trust, then yeah I might keep him there. It's really tight in that 5-10 area. That doesn't help him.

I really hope he's going to be fine. Love watching him play.

Reactions: MSSLYNX

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
When I was talking to teams about the injury before reporting it, I never got the sense from any of them they thought it was that serious to dramatically alter the player's draft status, probably because it is a partial tear but never got into those details and should have included that in my initial tweet. Teams said if there was a change, instead of say 6-10 for example, he may be 10-14 now or something.

Do you think there’s still a decent chance he goes top 10?

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Really wanted him with the ducks pick but not anymore. That is horrible for him damn hope he recovers 100%

Reactions: yankeeking

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
I am no doctor but I believe there is a significant difference between a partial and a complete tear in terms of recovery, you are not pulling what would be two completely dissected tendon parts back together.

Last edited:

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
Hopefully it IS a partial tear , I know his agent wouldn’t lie, but it will probably cost him to slide considering it will go into next season and historically a major injury like this may take another year for him to build up strength in it and to be comfortable with it , skating is a pretty big part of the game , he is young and hopefully heals quickly

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad