C Mikhail Grigorenko (2012, 12th, BUF; traded to COL) IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Finnish reporter Sasha Huttunen(reliable, also works for a Finnish paper) posted on twitter that Grigorenko would have wanted to finish the season at Tampere Tappara (former club of Barkov). Things were all worked out between the parties but NHL nixed the move.

They really have to get that CHL/NHL thing sorted out since it's not beneficial for the players.

Is that why he wanted to stay with the Sabres?

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
He is still an elite prospect. Just because he didnt become a top 6 center as a teenager doesn't discount his 1.5 ppg in the Q over his career.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
He scored the game winner and that goal was also the first all European goal in the history of the CHL (with 2 assists). Grigorenko assisted by Sorensen and Herzog.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
He is still an elite prospect. Just because he didnt become a top 6 center as a teenager doesn't discount his 1.5 ppg in the Q over his career.

This cannot be stressed enough. Far too often do teenagers break into the league nowadays, but when one of them fails to make it he is automatically a bust.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
This cannot be stressed enough. Far too often do teenagers break into the league nowadays, but when one of them fails to make it he is automatically a bust.

Can you name some players who have struggled at first in the NHL and then become very good? Not that I don't believe you, because I know guys have, I just am having trouble thinking of them.

I know Joe Thornton might be in this category, but can you name guys who stayed in juniors or struggled at first in the NHL?

Analyzer*

Can you name some players who have struggled at first in the NHL and then become very good? Not that I don't believe you, because I know guys have, I just am having trouble thinking of them.

I know Joe Thornton might be in this category, but can you name guys who stayed in juniors or struggled at first in the NHL?

Steven Stamkos. A lot of that had to do with his coach.

Simerc

Feb 12, 2012
11-10-21 in 13 GP since returning. How was he looked outside of the points?

I was at the game yesterday and he scored the GWG on a nice one-timer snap shot. Outside of that there were moments where I saw why he got sent back to the Remparts and other times where he looked like an NHLer, taking control of the play in a way not many juniors are able to.

Nick Sorensen also scored an amazing PK goal, deking the defensemen at full speed and going far side top corner with almost no angle.

Clapperton had a really good game, scoring 2 in the first 2 minutes and a beautiful assist on the PP later.

Both goalies were awful, especially the Armada's, who let in 3 wristers from the blueline, albeit with traffic in front of him.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell

I would say closer to 90% of prospects struggle first in the NHL. 1st rounders or not, it is very rare at all to see kids come in and not struggle. Success stories are heard a lot more than the slow starters.

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006

Thornton bounced from 7 to 41 points in his sophomore season and Stamkos struggled for about... 40 games. He scored 50 goals in his 19 year old season (while Grigs was sent back to the QMJHL).

Not quite comparable. I think Grigorenko is the second coming of Filatov.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Thornton bounced from 7 to 41 points in his sophomore season and Stamkos struggled for about... 40 games. He scored 50 goals in his 19 year old season (while Grigs was sent back to the QMJHL).

We're counting Grigorenko's lockout shortened season in which he played half the games as a full season now? And we're counting this year as his second full season. Who knew that Grigorenko was going to be a veteran next year. The guy has played 11 less NHL games than Thornton played in his rookie season. I watched a lot of Boston back then with the great Buffalo Boston rivalry and Boston wasn't 1/10th as bad as Buffalo has been these past two years.

Only Grigorenko gets compared to guys who went 1st overall. Only Grigorenko is considered to have played two full seasons when he's played 43 games total. If he wasn't Russian and he wasn't ranked #2 overall for a few months at the beginning of his draft year he would be just like any prospect taken #12 overall that has been sent down.

People need to stop treating this kid like he was taken 1st or 2nd overall.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site

When thinking of Grigorenko, try not to compare him to top lottery selections and 1st overall picks. That isn't really fair in terms of the expectations of his development.

Look at the development curve of other 1st round centers. Guys two years older than him from '10 draft, such as Granlund, Schwartz and Bjugstad are all considered very good prospects with top 6 upside, and are just finding their way into the NHL now, and are still support players. That's 3+ years after being drafted.

From the '11 draft, Miller hasn't done much yet at the NHL level, Baertschi is still knocking on the door and Scheifele just made the NHL this year. Even Zibanejad and Strome are just starting to carve out a spot full-time at the NHL level, and they were lottery picks.

Less than two years after being drafted in '12, it's a bit premature to start writing Grigorenko off, unless you were writing the above guys off too. And comparing him to Stamkos and Thornton is a total straw man argument that doesn't make any sense. He wasn't even a top 10 pick, so look more at the guys drafted around them - Girgensons, Forsberg and Faksa. The challenging part for him, is he isn't eligible for the AHL like Forbserg and some others, so made a tougher decision for the Sabres.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

Kyle Turris struggled but is now putting it together. Don't know how much of it is maturity vs. a new environment though.

I can't think of any recent Russian players who struggled but then put it together in the NHL, though. Svitov, Zherdev, Radulov, Filatov, Burmistrov, etc. They either seem to get it right away or flounder somewhere between the KHL and AHL. I guess Nikitin counts as he was a healthy scratch in St. Louis but is now a solid #5 guy in Columbus.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Kyle Turris struggled but is now putting it together. Don't know how much of it is maturity vs. a new environment though.

I can't think of any recent Russian players who struggled but then put it together in the NHL, though. Svitov, Zherdev, Radulov, Filatov, Burmistrov, etc. They either seem to get it right away or flounder somewhere between the KHL and AHL. I guess Nikitin counts as he was a healthy scratch in St. Louis but is now a solid #5 guy in Columbus.

Radulov never really struggled in the NHL. He started 11 games in the AHL and then finished the season in the NHL with 37 points in 64 games at 20. His second season he had 58 points.

Players like Filatov and Burmistrov were brought too fast in AHL/NHL just like Grigorenko. Burmi barely had a ppg 18 yo season in the OHL and then Atlanta decided w=he was ready for NHL. Hopefully, he can turn it around.

Dominating in juniors isn't a bad thing. The best draft class in recent years (2003) had to play an extra year in juniors at 19 and I don't think it hurt them.

ZeroPT*

Ryan Johansen. Grigorenko has had a similar path.. If he became anything near the level of RyJo I would be sooooooooooo happy

Jul 10, 2003
KW

Kadri.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009

Aside from the less sexy names already mentioned, one that came to mind for me is Tlusty.

pokerface1

Sep 16, 2010
scoring pace in the Q is higher than in previous years and he has 24 pts in last 10 games. Those that watch him regularly in Quebec: have you seen improvements in his play since last year?

Revo

Jun 29, 2011
Quebec City
scoring pace in the Q is higher than in previous years and he has 24 pts in last 10 games. Those that watch him regularly in Quebec: have you seen improvements in his play since last year?

Yes. Not a dramatic increase to the point he's headed to the NHL ASAP, but sufficient enough to state without any doubts there is a real increase in overall level of play. Playoffs will tell the most important part of the story, especially with the two most productive forwards on the team still out with injury as of today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad