C Mikhail Grigorenko (2012, 12th, BUF; traded to COL) IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Seems weird Buffalo wasted two years off his ELC for no reason.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Grigorenko is a fool. He should have stayed in Russia and developed properly.

MHL -> KHL -> NHL.

Certanly not CHL -> NHL -> CHL (with no chance of AHL). :shakehead

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Seems weird Buffalo wasted two years off his ELC for no reason.

One of the various mistakes of the recently fired GM. He'd been better in limited action lately, but he's not ready yet. "Better" was relative to being overwhelmed initially.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Seems weird, back to the Q. Again. And he was once considered 1st overall.

Well, practically taken this means his NHL-career is next to over. Grigs will bolt to KHL in no time - didn't have the drive to thrive in the NHL. I know - I'm jumping the gun. But what else should you think about this debacle?

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto

Well, practically taken this means his NHL-career is next to over. Grigs will bolt to KHL in no time - didn't have the drive to thrive in the NHL. I know - I'm jumping the gun. But what else should you think about this debacle?

Most of the 1st round picks from his draft year are not yet in the nhl. Do they also lack 'the drive to thrive'?

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Another kid that was rushed to the NHL. Sabres should send Girgensons and Risto down too.

Just look at all the teams that have had trouble producing elite talent high pick prospects over the years, most of them were rushed;

Isles, Columbus, etc.

Rushing 1st rounders is the dumbest things GM's do every year and it's mind boggling. I think the Sens rushed Zib and Cowen as well to be honest.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Most of the 1st round picks from his draft year are not yet in the nhl. Do they also lack 'the drive to thrive'?

Exactly.

He's 3rd from his draft year with the most NHL games played after Yakupov (68) and Galchenyuk (69).

9 are NHL regulars right now.

He's 19. Chill out.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

How is it weird when there has been a wholesale change in the management of the Sabres? The guy who was responsible for Grigorenko being in Buffalo was Regier and he's been sacked. Grigorenko, just like nearly everyone else in any draft class, needs to play to improve. He wasn't getting that in Buffalo because he clearly wasn't ready and even a baffoon like Ron Rolston could see that so he wasn't playing him.

The stupid thing would've been to continue to keep him up. Given all the work he's put in to try to improve physically, improve his skating, and time spent in Buffalo... it seems odd that he would chuck all that work and bolt for the KHL.

"Debacle" would be on Regier for trying to force things. And it's one of the things that cost him his job -- trying to force too many kids into a lineup too soon with a coach who was in over his head who Regier had never explored any other option to hire.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
He needs to add about 20 lbs before he can play his type of game in the NHL.

Joe Thornton sure turned out to be a terrible player. Same situation. Cerebral pass first player that likes to hang on to the puck and draw guys near him. Grigorenko can't do that right now because he's only 19 and physically immature. This is a completely different type of player from the Hall's, Yakupov's and even the Galchyenuk's. People need to realize that.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Its probably better for him to be in the Q right now anyway. There's no gain to be made from rushing prospects.

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
Really like the kid and thought scouts were wrong and wanted the Leafs to pick him in 2012 but man I just don't see it. He just screams not good enough for top 6 but doesn't play a bottom 6 game.

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
I have a bad feeling about Grigorenko.

Last year he dominated the QMJHL and averaged almost a goal per game. You'd think he could hold down an NHL job by this point.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
Mismanaged prospect, but hardly a bust. Hopefully he hasn't lost too much development time or has had his confidence eroded too badly, but he is definitely one heck of a strong prospect.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Grigorenko, Girgensens, Zadarov, Ristolainen, etc... What are these guys doing in the NHL directly after being drafted? Or in Girgensens case a year after.

They have a growing prospect pool, but LaFontaine and whoever the new GM is are going to have their work cut out for then undoing some of this mess. All of these prospects could have benefitted from anywhere from 1-3 extra years of development.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
If agents are smart, the Grigorenko case will just lead to many high-profile european prospects NOT coming over to play in the CHL in their draft year. The CHL/AHL agreement rule prevents these players from being assigned to the AHL and re-called at will by the NHL team. Grigorenko would benefit a lot from playing in the AHL right now but instead Buffalo only has two choices: NHL or QMJHL.

Look at a guy like Elias Lindholm, who has been assigned to the AHL. It's a good development league for him who's already close to NHL ready. He can make his mark down there and be recalled in February. It's good for him. Way better than playing in Sarnia or something.

Look at guys like Barbashev and Ehlers in the Q. Two potential 1st rounders next season. What if they played in Europe ? They could be in the AHL by next season. But they won't. They'll be stuck in the Q for 2 more seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->