C/LW Anton Lundell - IFK Helsinki, Liiga (2020, 12th, FLA) Part2

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I thought the Big three were clearly ahead of him, and the two Dmen. After that, it was kind of a crapshoot. I just looked at his size, smarts, two way play, ability to play C with men...and I couldn't, for the life of me, see bad skating. He just seemed like such a high floor pick.

Comparing him to Rossi and Perfetti, who have obvious skills, but can't compare defensively, have no size, and have skating questions of their own...

Still, almost all of the scouts had Lundell ranked behind them, some by a good bit, so I just figured they know something I don't, like there is something unfixable to Lundell's game.
Couturier syndrome.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I thought the Big three were clearly ahead of him, and the two Dmen. After that, it was kind of a crapshoot. I just looked at his size, smarts, two way play, ability to play C with men...and I couldn't, for the life of me, see bad skating. He just seemed like such a high floor pick.

Comparing him to Rossi and Perfetti, who have obvious skills, but can't compare defensively, have no size, and have skating questions of their own...

Still, almost all of the scouts had Lundell ranked behind them, some by a good bit, so I just figured they know something I don't, like there is something unfixable to Lundell's game.

And to think all the offers I'd made for Brodin for FLAs 2020 1st + (back when it was near mid pack spot) and your fanbase couldn't convince Guerin to make the trade. Shame on you guys

Rossi + Lundell would have setup your C core for a while.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Ehh.. Brodin is pretty good, and will be for another 7-8 years. Lundell is nothing but a prospect till he proves otherwise. He looks good to me, but then a lot of people thought Borgstrom was the second coming, also.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Couturier syndrome.

Difference is though that Couturier produced like a #1 OVR pick in his draft year. Had 96P in 58GP.

Maybe Lundell would have produced more in the CHL, but his draft season production-wise was a bit underwhelming and that probably played into him not being a top 10 pick.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Rossi was voted the 2nd best defensive forward, 2nd best faceoff man and 3rd best PKer in the OHL.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Difference is though that Couturier produced like a #1 OVR pick in his draft year. Had 96P in 58GP.

Maybe Lundell would have produced more in the CHL, but his draft season production-wise was a bit underwhelming and that probably played into him not being a top 10 pick.
Agreed. He took a really large step forward this year.

Itkonen

May 11, 2016
Is he the best player in the Liiga this year?
Not the best but top 5 for sure. I’d say he’s been the best after Arttu Ruotsalainen and Juuso Välimäki.

I wouldn’t say his production was underwhelming, 28 points in 44 games (0,64 ppg) are great numbers for a draft eligible. He’s not far off from Laine (0,72 ppg) and had better numbers than Puljujärvi (0,56), Kotkaniemi (0,51) and Rantanen (0,50) out of guys who were top 10 picks in recent years. The only one who produced significantly better was Kakko with 0,84 ppg. And if you argue that he was older in his draft season than most of those players, well he did score 0,50 ppg already the year before. So I wouldn’t say it was his production that dropped him, atleast it shouldn’t have been.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Only one game but was underwhelmed by his play tonight.

Was expecting to see more speed.

Hopefully he becomes a force this tournament
Yeah he was pretty bad, he's got to pick it up instantly if Team Finland wants to even get a chance at a medal.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Yeah he was pretty bad, he's got to pick it up instantly if Team Finland wants to even get a chance at a medal.

Calm-down goddammit.
And so what if one practice wasn't so good of Lundell.
DON'T EVER make any statements / conclusions based on one game.
Merry Christmas.

KristichBabych

Jun 15, 2018
It was one game and bad games happen to all hockey players.
Calm-down and don't panic.
Merry Christmas to you.
Yeah for sure, but with all the hype for Lundell this season, he was not good offensively....It's easy to look good against germany( will see!) but he haves to be good against the best clubs! I think the opinion was right for this game and this guy didn't panic...He was just saying an observation, even Pierre-Luc Dubois look slow and was not always dominant in the worl juniors....And now he is so much better!

Reactions: Finnflash

Finnflash

May 19, 2016
Winnipeg
Yeah for sure, but with all the hype for Lundell this season, he was not good offensively....It's easy to look good against germany( will see!) but he haves to be good against the best clubs! I think the opinion was right for this game and this guy didn't panic...He was just saying an observation, even Pierre-Luc Dubois look slow and was not always dominant in the worl juniors....And now he is so much better!
This

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

I really don't get this '' everything is going straight to the ass'' mentality after one practice game
when some 12th overall pick didn't immediately score 3+5 points
in one practice game before the tournament.

Should we start again to talk about that
how limited offensive upside Lundell has or what we should do huh?

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I really don't get this '' everything is going straight to the ass'' mentality after one practice game
when some 12th overall pick didn't immediately score 3+5 points
in one practice game before the tournament.

Should we start again to talk about that
how limited offensive upside Lundell has or what we should do huh?
The only one overreacting here is you :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad