C/LW Anton Lundell - IFK Helsinki, Liiga (2020, 12th, FLA) Part2

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
I was so baffled when people started dropping him in their pre draft selections, and even more so when he slipped a bit in the draft. I had a fools hope that he may even fall into the flames hands. Great pick by Florida.

Even the Panthers couldn't screw this one up. There was literally no other pick to make at that point haha.

Reactions: 780il and 16Skippy

TheImpatientPanther

Florida Flukin Panthers > LTIR Maple Leafs
Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Jarvis was still on the board and he has all the makings of a damn good player, so I don't think that's true.

Jarvis can play C but he played RW this past year. FLA has Tippett and Denisenko as RWs already.
FLA needed a sure fire C but you're not wrong, Jarvis was one of my top 3 picks in that 12th range.
Reminds me of Suzuki and gonna be a Swiss army knife player.

Reactions: barriers

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Jarvis was still on the board and he has all the makings of a damn good player, so I don't think that's true.

Nothing against Jarvis, but there was a clear change in tiers after the top 12. Who knows how it'll look in 4-6 years, but this was as much of a no-brainer as you'll see.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Once Quinn went at 8, and Askarov at 11, it,opened up a lot of possibilities for FLA. Mercer or a Dman wouldn't have been bad choices, as they would help the team defense, but you gotta like Lundell as a pick.

Zito's moves so far look to be pretty solid.

Last edited:
Reactions: KristichBabych

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
What an useless article.

Gotta agree, there is nothing in there you couldn't find out on a two minute Google check. Liiga point totals, a list of Panthers players and who Quenneville coached back in his Chicago days adds up zero value to why Lundell is "poised to be a breakout star".

My favourite part of the article is this:
The biggest part that separates Lundell from most prospects is that this league has current or former NHL players such as Jessi Puljujarvi and Aleski Saarela. It isn’t like NCAA hockey where most players are typically around the same age and play typically a more speed-based game. With that in mind, he’s getting a feel for what the NHL will be like, and he’s lighting it up over there.
  • Lundell is not exactly a unique snowflake in regards of playing against "current or former NHL players" this year
  • Both "NHL examples" (both incorrectly spelled, no less) are yet to prove themselves as NHL regulars
  • A more "speed-based game" does not prepare a player for the NHL? Huh?
And then the rest of the article goes to mention such important notions as coach Q's time in Colorado 15 years ago and Brett Connolly being a Stanley Cup champion.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Just came to say that this kid will be the steal of this draft. Absolute stud and a great job by Florida

Oct 18, 2011
I am not surprised at all he totally passed the eye test before the draft I would have been good with Anaheim picking him 6th tbh

Reactions: HzH

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Always had Lundell ahead of Stutzle. Never got the low offensive ceiling concerns people tagged him with. If you have High IQ and a good shot chances are you’ll have a fairly good offensive ceiling.

Reactions: Realgud

FinlandPanther

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Always had Lundell ahead of Stutzle. Never got the low offensive ceiling concerns people tagged him with. If you have High IQ and a good shot chances are you’ll have a fairly good offensive ceiling.
Not sure I’d take him over Stutzle but I do love getting him at 12.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I thought the Big three were clearly ahead of him, and the two Dmen. After that, it was kind of a crapshoot. I just looked at his size, smarts, two way play, ability to play C with men...and I couldn't, for the life of me, see bad skating. He just seemed like such a high floor pick.

Comparing him to Rossi and Perfetti, who have obvious skills, but can't compare defensively, have no size, and have skating questions of their own...

Still, almost all of the scouts had Lundell ranked behind them, some by a good bit, so I just figured they know something I don't, like there is something unfixable to Lundell's game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->