C John Beecher - USNTDP, USHL (2019, 30th, BOS)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Lol, he has been one of the top 3-4 forwards in the US camp. Why don't we just wait until everything plays out
thru December genius. You already showed your negative bias earlier.

This is great. I have negative bias against your NHL team's prospect that plays internationally for my team. I've been rooting for Beecher's team for two years. You probably learned his name a month ago. I've watched him play more than enough and watched these other players play more than enough. He's not going to play in the top six. It's not happening. Two returning top six wingers, two incoming top six wingers that were top 20 picks, and two incoming centers that were top 10 picks. Thats the top six in some alignment.

Then there's other players who likely will play higher in the lineup than Beecher that I haven't even mentioned. I don't care who you judge to be the best 3-4 forwards. If anyone has bias, it's people like you. Feel free to disagree, but I doubt there are many who think he's going to play very high in the lineup. The world does not revolve around Bruins fans getting to watch their first round pick playing high in the lineup during the World Juniors.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
This is great. I have negative bias against your NHL team's prospect that plays internationally for my team. I've been rooting for Beecher's team for two years. You probably learned his name a month ago. I've watched him play more than enough and watched these other players play more than enough. He's not going to play in the top six. It's not happening. Two returning top six wingers, two incoming top six wingers that were top 20 picks, and two incoming centers that were top 10 picks. Thats the top six in some alignment.

Then there's other players who likely will play higher in the lineup than Beecher that I haven't even mentioned. I don't care who you judge to be the best 3-4 forwards. If anyone has bias, it's people like you. Feel free to disagree, but I doubt there are many who think he's going to play very high in the lineup. The world does not revolve around Bruins fans getting to watch their first round pick playing high in the lineup during the World Juniors.

Wrong again genius, been following him all year.
I'm at the game tomorrow. Are you going to be there?

Reactions: cg98

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Wrong again genius, been following him all year.
I'm at the game tomorrow. Are you going to be there?
Havent you heard? Buch is the all knowing, wise scout of HF! We should all bow down to his clear superior knowledge of the game of hockey!

In all seriousness what a bad take. Beecher for sure is a project but a solid prospect none the less. Lets wait and see what he'll do on a Michigan team with more opportunity before claiming you know how he'll turn out.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
FWIW--you draft a guy at the tail end of the 1st round you're probably not going to get a superstar. Still he's almost a perfect prototype for a Bruins player. Big, strong, fast and has and plays with an edge. I think he's very capable of making the US WJC team---though a big reach to be a top 6 forward---at least this time around. The year after a lot more likely. To me he was a great pick by the Bruins and yeah there is probably some untapped offensive potential besides that might start coming out. That kind of size, skating, strength and gnarliness is a dangerous combination.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Havent you heard? Buch is the all knowing, wise scout of HF! We should all bow down to his clear superior knowledge of the game of hockey!

In all seriousness what a bad take. Beecher for sure is a project but a solid prospect none the less. Lets wait and see what he'll do on a Michigan team with more opportunity before claiming you know how he'll turn out.

Why are you such a hater? I don’t think I’ve ever had a discussion with you about any topic, yet every time I have an opinion, you must take the other side and then try to badmouth me. Don’t you have anything better to do than this? It’s so bizarre.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Doubt he plays in the top 6 this year. But fwiw Beecher was regarded as an elite talent before he went to NTDP. Maybe getting that swagger back
Yes, he was considered one of the best in the country when the 01s were under 16s. This is a strong age group for us. He would have been a lottery pick had he played for a weaker team. His upside suits the NHL as it is today exceedingly well. People used to knock Dylan Larkins upside too

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
If all of you thought Beecher was this good, why not speak up before the draft? He was considered a second rounder or late first the whole draft season?

In fact, most didn’t like the pick in the late first. It was said by many, including a lot who watched him play many times, that he didn’t have the upside to be a first rounder.

I would caution not to put too much into summer hockey. Fans do this every year.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
If all of you thought Beecher was this good, why not speak up before the draft? He was considered a second rounder or late first the whole draft season?

In fact, most didn’t like the pick in the late first. It was said by many, including a lot who watched him play many times, that he didn’t have the upside to be a first rounder.

I would caution not to put too much into summer hockey. Fans do this every year.

I wrote about him before the draft. So if you're going to gatekeep on this thread am I still allowed in? By the way, when I posted about him beforehand you twisted my comments to take a cheapshot at him and me. Thanks for that.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland

If Beecher can elevate his play, he will have a chance to play a more important role. If he doesn't, he won't. His destiny is in his hands only. Nothing is written in stone anywhere. You being so sure of what he's going to do sounds incredibly annoying. You somehow feeling the need to dampen some Bruins fan's excitement at seeing this kid have a couple of very strong games is also annoying. Give it a rest.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't even have to add my opinion. I like the player, but thats besides the point here.

Take a look at the views prior to the draft. Beecher shouldn't have improved in anyone's opinion since the draft or in the case of a few fans, within a week of the draft because you read that your team might consider drafting that player. He's not played any meaningful hockey recently, and NHL affiliation should have nothing to do with an assessment of Beecher's game. His season was over in April. Thats not dampening excitement, thats adding a much needed dose of reality.

Last edited:

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Why are you such a hater? I don’t think I’ve ever had a discussion with you about any topic, yet every time I have an opinion, you must take the other side and then try to badmouth me. Don’t you have anything better to do than this? It’s so bizarre.
Not a hater, just the fact that you make ridiculously bad takes about prospects that you claim to know and watch and then when everyone in the thread proves you wrong you throw a fit. Its not my fault youre easily offended by that.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net

I ranked him pretty highly before the draft and I watched him all year. Everyone I spoke to in the game said they thought he was under-rated and would end up a first-rounder by draft day. The question mark was the fact that he was nowhere near a go-to guy on the NTDP so his numbers and development may have suffered for it. I credited him for that, he embraced the depth role and helped his team, while still producing. Also, if you watched this year's NTDP team, it was basically a joke. They steam-rolled most of their opponents until they played anyone serious. They were having fun out there. Not the easiest to evaluate. Judging by the opinion of the vague "many" is a great way to follow the group-think.

Last edited:

North Country

Oct 24, 2012
His offense skyrockets every time he’s put in a position for it to be able to. There’s a few others in this draft that were also held back and will be huge bargains.
His game will continue to open up after a season of being held back. Look for huge breakouts of similar players that weren’t even drafted this year.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I ranked him pretty highly before the draft and I watched him all year. Everyone I spoke to in the game said they thought he was under-rated and would end up a first-rounder by draft day. The question mark was the fact that he was nowhere near a go-to guy on the NTDP so his numbers and development may have suffered for it. I credited him for that, he embraced the depth role and helped his team, while still producing. Also, if you watched this year's NTDP team, it was basically a joke. They steam-rolled most of their opponents until they played anyone serious. They were having fun out there. Not the easiest to evaluate. Judging by the opinion of the vague "many" is a great way to follow the group-think.

I think you have a partial point, but I think you are overplaying it. The team was stacked and suppressed some numbers for some players, but does that mean Beecher has skills that I think most people judged that he didn’t have? You could be right and it’s true that he was being judged in a role that doesn’t lend to being an offensive standout, but I think it’s highly highly unlikely that he has the hands, playmaking, puck skills to project like Larkin. I think we should be discussing him on terms more similar to Larkin’s teammate, Athanasiou, who has similar speed and enough offense, but isn’t known as a skill guy at the NHL level.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I think you have a partial point, but I think you are overplaying it. The team was stacked and suppressed some numbers for some players, but does that mean Beecher has skills that I think most people judged that he didn’t have? You could be right and it’s true that he was being judged in a role that doesn’t lend to being an offensive standout, but I think it’s highly highly unlikely that he has the hands, playmaking, puck skills to project like Larkin. I think we should be discussing him on terms more similar to Larkin’s teammate, Athanasiou, who has similar speed and enough offense, but isn’t known as a skill guy at the NHL level.

This is a really odd comparison. Larkin had 32 goals this year, Athanasiou had 30 (which was 39th in the NHL). I'd say that's a 'skill guy'.

Reactions: Son of Donegal

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
This is a really odd comparison. Larkin had 32 goals this year, Athanasiou had 30 (which was 39th in the NHL). I'd say that's a 'skill guy'.

You are trying to blur the lines by picking out his best stat in his career. A more realistic picture is that he has 130 points in 248 games. That’s 43 points per 82 games.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net

I never said he was Larkin. I said (or meant, rather) that people also doubted Larkin's offensive upside. Larkin was probably undervalued at 15th overall in the same way Beecher was undervalued even at the tail end of the first round. That's the point I'm trying to make with that comment.

Regardless, I don't think Beecher is going to be an offensive wunderkind in the NHL. I do think he has immense potential and the type of game that can translate against the best teams in the league come playoff time, speed, size, power, the whole athletic package, and offensive ability to boot.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
How dare the fans of a team's prospect try to be excited about their prospect. Leave it to the experts in this thread.

If you weren't watching his prep games at Salisbury in 2016 you don't have a right to talk about him.

It's not like it's the summer and there is literally nothing else to talk about.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
How dare the fans of a team's prospect try to be excited about their prospect. Leave it to the experts in this thread.

If you weren't watching his prep games at Salisbury in 2016 you don't have a right to talk about him.

It's not like it's the summer and there is literally nothing else to talk about.

I don't blame you guys. He had a pretty mediocre year. But if he was drafted by the Rangers at the end of the first and was putting on a clinic at the summer series you know for damn sure the Ranger fans would be hounding this thread

Reactions: DrJustice

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
I don't blame you guys. He had a pretty mediocre year. But if he was drafted by the Rangers at the end of the first and was putting on a clinic at the summer series you know for damn sure the Ranger fans would be hounding this thread

Oh yeah for sure. I don't blame the people who have watched him before the draft and have strong opinions on him for feeling the way they do. But to most of us fans just discovering who he is (remember we were too busy having out hearts ripped out of our chest in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final to pay attention to the draft) it's been nice to have some excitement around a pretty thin prospect pool and the potential upside a guy like Beecher COULD have. Don't really see the need for tempering expectations when I don't see many in here trying to make him out to be a potential 1st liner or anything.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB

Habs fan here, so negative bias towards Beecher/the Bruins if anything. I was huge on Beecher before the draft and still am. He was vastly underutilized but had amazing tools- skating, puck control, physicality, corner battles, etc.. He's a safe bet #2 or good #3 C IMO and would have been a good beyond 20.

Reactions: Andrei79

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

Lots of people who have seen Beecher before this tourney disagee with you. Time for you to chill.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Lots of people who have seen Beecher before this tourney disagee with you. Time for you to chill.

Your whole approach is very abrasive, and it seems like it comes from a place of being offended that someone is questioning some of the more outlandish things that have been said about a prospect your team drafted a month ago. Shocking, but we see this pretty often because there are a few too many who think everyone is out to get their team's prospect.

Your reading comprehension also seems to be lacking. What did these lots of people disagree with me about?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad