C John Beecher - USNTDP, USHL (2019, 30th, BOS)

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I could see Boston taking him at the end of the 1st actually, reminds me of the Trent Frederic pick

For sure. A 6-3 centre that can fly is a rare commodity. He was pushed down the depth chart. Obviously, you need to believe there is some hockey sense and offense there but you're drafting for downside too. If you end up with a 4th line PKer at the end of the first round, it's not the end of the world.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
For sure. A 6-3 centre that can fly is a rare commodity. He was pushed down the depth chart. Obviously, you need to believe there is some hockey sense and offense there but you're drafting for downside too. If you end up with a 4th line PKer at the end of the first round, it's not the end of the world.

Why would you take a high floor guy over a high upside guy in the first round? The former are easy to acquire. Bottom half of the league players don’t have much value, top half of the league players do. You can acquire a good bottom 6 forward for a 3rd rounder.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Why would you take a high floor guy over a high upside guy in the first round? The former are easy to acquire. Bottom half of the league players don’t have much value, top half of the league players do. You can acquire a good bottom 6 forward for a 3rd rounder.
Any team taking this kid in the 1st round or early 2nd round are crazy. But teams/scouts still love big guys who can skate, regardless of what they offer beyond that, if anything.
Agreed. I don't know why you'd be aiming to get a guy with his upside in the 1st round.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006

What I'm saying is that he has high upside and a high floor.

I also think you're overestimating what's realistic in the draft. If you can get an NHL player at the end of the first round and beyond, you're doing pretty well. As to your point, go back and look at any 3rd round. You have about a 60% chance of a guy who plays a game in the NHL, a 45% chance of a guy who plays more than 30 games and a 15% chance of getting an NHL regular.

Here's the history of 30th overall picks: 30th Overall NHL Draft Picks

An average 3rd line centre is more valuable than all but 3-4 of them. For a good comp, look at Brock Nelson who is about the same size. Meanwhile, a 'high-upside' guy named Emerson Etem was picked just before him.

Last edited:
Reactions: wintersej

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
What I'm saying is that he has high upside and a high floor.

I also think you're overestimating what's realistic in the draft. If you can get an NHL player at the end of the first round and beyond, you're doing pretty well. As to your point, go back and look at any 3rd round. You have about a 60% chance of a guy who plays a game in the NHL, a 45% chance of a guy who plays more than 30 games and a 15% chance of getting an NHL regular.

Here's the history of 30th overall picks: 30th Overall NHL Draft Picks

An average 3rd line centre is more valuable than all but 3-4 of them. For a good comp, look at Brock Nelson who is about the same size. Meanwhile, a 'high-upside' guy named Emerson Etem was picked just before him.

I didn't say anything about what caliber of player you'll get at the end of the first round. One thing you shouldn't be doing in the first round is drafting based on someone having a high floor. None of their floors are even NHL players, considering we haven't yet seen them play in the NHL. Drafting for high floor is a good way to not draft well in the first round.

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
Some of the analysts I’ve read concerning Beecher is he was placed in a defensive role on the USNTDP,but he has skill.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
While he is limited offensively right now, you can see he does have room to grow.

If he pans out I can see him becoming a low 20s goal scoring shutdown center, that can play 2c if someone goes down. That is a valuable player. He has a high floor, and a moderate ceiling. I can’t see him falling out of the first round. I think he’s more likely to go top 20 than fall. If he does fall to the second round whoever drafts him will get a steal.

If you draft him, you’re hoping he can continue to grow offensively. Let him play out his college career, let him dominate the AHL (it worked wonders for Kesler, who was also seen as offensively challenged). In no way am I saying he is Ryan Kesler, I’m just saying the kid has untapped potential offensively.

Last edited:
Reactions: Son of Donegal

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
He has moved up in the rankings quite a bit I was hoping the NYI could get him in the 2nd round but that’s not happening now.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I’d be surprised to see this kid make it out of the first round. Looks like a sure bet as a 3C. While that doesn’t sound sexy lots of players in the back half of the first round never make the NHL. Why not pick a guy that’ll turn into Radek Faksa or Nick Bonino?

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
I’d be surprised to see this kid make it out of the first round. Looks like a sure bet as a 3C. While that doesn’t sound sexy lots of players in the back half of the first round never make the NHL. Why not pick a guy that’ll turn into Radek Faksa or Nick Bonino?

Kevin Hayes

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006

Liked him this morning, like him this evening. Nothing wrong with a big, raw guy who can skate. Bruins always draft for character so he must have it too. I hope the scouts saw the hockey sense.

Reactions: mikeyp24

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I'd be pretty surprised if he doesn't carve out an NHL career. The question is does he have the offensive skill to be more than an okay third liner or great fourth liner. He shows flashes of skill but then goes quiet for long stretches. Is it inconsistency or are the flashes the aberrations? One thing you can say in his favor is with the guys ahead of him in the lineup at the NTDP, he didn't get prime offensive minutes or linemates. When they were U17s and a bunch of the top guys were promoted to the U18s, Beecher really elevated his game with the increased role. He didn't get that same opportunity this year. He got it for small stretches (Turcotte injury, Hughes WJC and injury) but not extended like he did down the stretch as an U17.

He'll be an interesting one to watch at Michigan next year. It's not normal for a guy's role to get a lot bigger by going up a level but for him it may be true. If it happens, hopefully he'll show more consistent offense. I'm not sold that he will but I hope he does. I think he's more likely a better, more well rounded version of a guy like Boo Nieves. Another big guy that can fly whose offensive development stalled as a teenager.

Last edited:

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Can anyone see Johnny Beecher opting to go CHL route after being drafted or a team making him report to the Sault ?
No he will be going to the NCAA.

Definitely the kind of guy you could see a team falling in love with.
Your team did congrats he was one of my top 3 favorite prospects that were projected in the first. Him Knight and Brink. Boston has been drafting a shit ton of my favorites I wanted in Columbus. Donato, McAvoy, and now Beecher.

I could see Boston taking him at the end of the 1st actually, reminds me of the Trent Frederic pick
Good call!!

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Love this pick a lot. There's nothing more intriguing than a player with great size, speed and physicality. I hope he can keep the speed and put on another 15-20 lbs.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad