C John Beecher - USNTDP, USHL (2019, 30th, BOS)

North Country

Oct 24, 2012
I'd be pretty surprised if he doesn't carve out an NHL career. The question is does he have the offensive skill to be more than an okay third liner or great fourth liner. He shows flashes of skill but then goes quiet for long stretches. Is it inconsistency or are the flashes the aberrations? One thing you can say in his favor is with the guys ahead of him in the lineup at the NTDP, he didn't get prime offensive minutes or linemates. When they were U17s and a bunch of the top guys were promoted to the U18s, Beecher really elevated his game with the increased role. He didn't get that same opportunity this year. He got it for small stretches (Turcotte injury, Hughes WJC and injury) but not extended like he did down the stretch as an U17.

He'll be an interesting one to watch at Michigan next year. It's not normal for a guy's role to get a lot bigger by going up a level but for him it may be true. If it happens, hopefully he'll show more consistent offense. I'm not sold that he will but I hope he does. I think he's more likely a better, more well rounded version of a guy like Boo Nieves. Another big guy that can fly whose offensive development stalled as a teenager.
His offense skyrockets every time he’s put in a position for it to be able to. There’s a few others in this draft that were also held back and will be huge bargains.

Reactions: OTBHockey

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
His offense skyrockets every time he’s put in a position for it to be able to. There’s a few others in this draft that were also held back and will be huge bargains.

I think that's a pretty generous take on his offense. I'm not saying he doesn't have offensive upside, and the way he played as a U17 when Hughes, Turcotte, etc. were gone to the U18s is certainly something you hope is more representative of his true offensive upside. His freshman year at Michigan will be telling as he won't be behind a ton of high-end talent.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't know about his puck skills and hockey IQ. He's not a bad playmaker, and he'll score some goals due to breakaways. I'd say likely a 35-40 point player, but I guess its possible his talent could've been hidden behind those players, and he adds an extra 10 points to that.

North Country

Oct 24, 2012
I think that's a pretty generous take on his offense. I'm not saying he doesn't have offensive upside, and the way he played as a U17 when Hughes, Turcotte, etc. were gone to the U18s is certainly something you hope is more representative of his true offensive upside. His freshman year at Michigan will be telling as he won't be behind a ton of high-end talent.
I’m just saying his offensive upside has always looked much better when there was move ups, or in international play in a higher role.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Another strong game for "the forgotten one."

Happy to see the future 2nd round pick from the Blackhawks is playing his role on this loaded team...

Player of the game against Latvia. For a bigger kid, he has solid wheels...like his hands as well, a kid like this might make a lot of people go WTF on how low he goes in a draft...
thank you Boston, no WTF needed from me now lol...

Numbah4

Mar 6, 2008
He’s easily the best player ever from Elmira NY

So, he’s got that going for him

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
It would be difficult for the Bruins to reach the SCFs because the core of their team is aging, It's not just Chara. Bergeron, Krejci, and Marchand are all in their 30s. Their competitors have added talented youth.

member 96824

It would be difficult for the Bruins to reach the SCFs because the core of their team is aging, It's not just Chara. Bergeron, Krejci, and Marchand are all in their 30s. Their competitors have added talented youth.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012

Beecher is the answer?

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
He having a good showcase so far with 3 goals in 2 games using his speed and 6'3" frame.

Tweet from Mike Morreale

Last edited:

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
He shouldn't be in the NHL this year, another year to develop then maybe he can get a crack at the 3C role if Boston's other young guys don't stick.
I think he’ll make it, but likely only for the fourth line this year.

Lol, he has been one of the top 3-4 forwards in the US camp. Why don't we just wait until everything plays out
thru December genius. You already showed your negative bias earlier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->