C John Beecher - USNTDP, USHL (2019, 30th, BOS)

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I don't usually like to resurrect threads for negative reasons, but I think the Bruins are in a tricky spot with this player.

Prior to the shoulder surgery, Beecher wasn't exactly thriving at UofM. At this point, all four of Beniers, Johnson, Bordeleau, and Brisson have somewhat established themselves as top 6 and powerplay staples . Both Samoskevich and Duke will likely compete for those roles as well, and you'll have other upperclassmen (Ciccolini, Granowicz, Moyle, Lambert) in the mix as well.

Entering his junior year, I'm not sure Michigan can offer Beecher as big of a role as he'd likely want to step up into pro hockey. Maybe he competes for the 2C role if both Johnson and Bordeleau stay on the wing, but I'm not sure I see it.

It's a tricky position. I'm not sure he's ready for AHL hockey, but I'm also not sure he's going to get the role you want for an NCAA junior you took in the 1st round.

I'll be honest, I never quite saw the first round upside when I watched him with the NTDP. But he's a US hockey guy and a Michigan guy, and he seems like a good kid, so I'll certainly be rooting for him to bounce back this year.

Reactions: Dominance

Preposterone

Dec 6, 2013
I don't usually like to resurrect threads for negative reasons, but I think the Bruins are in a tricky spot with this player.

Prior to the shoulder surgery, Beecher wasn't exactly thriving at UofM. At this point, all four of Beniers, Johnson, Bordeleau, and Brisson have somewhat established themselves as top 6 and powerplay staples . Both Samoskevich and Duke will likely compete for those roles as well, and you'll have other upperclassmen (Ciccolini, Granowicz, Moyle, Lambert) in the mix as well.

Entering his junior year, I'm not sure Michigan can offer Beecher as big of a role as he'd likely want to step up into pro hockey. Maybe he competes for the 2C role if both Johnson and Bordeleau stay on the wing, but I'm not sure I see it.

It's a tricky position. I'm not sure he's ready for AHL hockey, but I'm also not sure he's going to get the role you want for an NCAA junior you took in the 1st round.

I'll be honest, I never quite saw the first round upside when I watched him with the NTDP. But he's a US hockey guy and a Michigan guy, and he seems like a good kid, so I'll certainly be rooting for him to bounce back this year.

Well he can transfer without a penalty year now, so that's an option. He would be a top six guy on most D1 teams

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad