C Jack Hughes - USNTDP (2019 Draft) Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yep, no reason he couldn't play in both. Hopefully he will.

Kakko should have. If he managed to help beat USA here and then went on to the Worlds and do well. He would have challenged NJ to make a tough decision. At this point they are going Hughes all the way no matter what happens at the Worlds.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
He doesn't have to. Pretty pointless games really. If Hughes joins the US squad he'll have zero pre-tournament games.

Pointless maybe, but so is playing in a tournament with children after he's played a full season against men. What does he have to prove in a u18?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Pointless maybe, but so is playing in a tournament with children after he's played a full season against men. What does he have to prove in a u18?
This has to be the worst argument I've ever heard, yet I keep hearing it.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
This has to be the worst argument I've ever heard, yet I keep hearing it.
Please,enlighten us why. Playing down in competition does nothing to help your development. Kid is getting ready for the WC to play against men...so he is preparing by playing against men and not kids.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Yep, no reason he couldn't play in both. Hopefully he will.
tenor.gif

Reactions: Cheddabombs

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Considering that is who you are going up against in the draft I'd say it's not that pointless.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
He probably could if he wants too. There is definitely room for him. Honestly not sure why Kakko didn't play in both.

Because nobody cares and the men's national team has a training camp right now?

Dafp

May 3, 2016
UK
Hughes has nothing to prove there either, he was tournament MVP last year. The u18s is sort of the culmination of the NTDP, I get the impression that Hughes is happy to be a part of his cohort's graduation of sorts.

Kakko's a great player and I appreciate that the Finnish youth system doesn't look at this tournament in quite the same way, but personally I'd take it as an insult if a team-mate decided he was too good to turn out for the team.

Reactions: VoidCreature

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Hughes has nothing to prove there either, he was tournament MVP last year. The u18s is sort of the culmination of the NTDP, I get the impression that Hughes is happy to be a part of his cohort's graduation of sorts.

Kakko's a great player and I appreciate that the Finnish youth system doesn't look at this tournament in quite the same way, but personally I'd take it as an insult if a team-mate decided he was too good to turn out for the team.

Yeah I think Canadians tend to take this tournament a bit more seriously as a way to improve draft stock, of course a good chunk of our best players don't play in it which may be a factor in why we perceive it that way. US takes this as more of a NTDP graduation of sorts.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
Yeah I think Canadians tend to take this tournament a bit more seriously as a way to improve draft stock, of course a good chunk of our best players don't play in it which may be a factor in why we perceive it that way. US takes this as more of a NTDP graduation of sorts.
I think all players from everywhere... take it seriously to improve... draft stock?
otherwise, I'll take that as a compliment towards Canada... thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad