C Jack Hughes - USNTDP (2019 Draft) Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Any reason why Jack isn't playing for the Men's team in the World Chanpionships?
he has to finish the u-18 first, then team USA might decide to leave a spot open for him. this also happens to be team USA's best turn out so far with forwards, so might not even be a spot open for him if Matthews and Gaudreau come.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Finnish fans have a front row view to this asswhooping
And then you wonder why this thread gets derailed. You’ve been a fan of his for 2 weeks. Funny how you didn’t say this when kakko slapped him every other time. His dad finally wasn’t there to punish him.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
And then you wonder why this thread gets derailed. You’ve been a fan of his for 2 weeks. Funny how you didn’t say this when kakko slapped him every other time. His dad finally wasn’t there to punish him.

I remember when Puljujarvi and Juolevi slapped Tkachuk and McAvoy. Wonder how that's working out in the NHL for them...

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I remember when Puljujarvi and Juolevi slapped Tkachuk and McAvoy. Wonder how that's working out in the NHL for them...
Wow one example. You are really incredible lmao. You forget about Aho and Rantanen. How are they doing. Sad :( take the L and take a lap.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Which is why you need to use your eyes and evaluate the talent in front of you instead of looking at a stat sheet. Because simply playing well against men doesn't make you a better prospect.

It's a bit of both, playing with juniors tends to hide various things and a physically weak player like Hughes may find the transition rather difficult having to suddenly survive with much less time and space.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It's a bit of both, playing with juniors tends to hide various things and a physically weak player like Hughes may find the transition rather difficult having to suddenly survive with much less time and space.

You mean all the time and space that bigger ice tends to hide for Euro players who can't adapt to NHL size rinks and speed?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
You mean all the time and space that bigger ice tends to hide for Euro players who can't adapt to NHL size rinks and speed?

I would argue player size and strength makes a much bigger difference than rink size. That's why Matthews came to Switzerland rather than remaining in the USHL.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I would argue player size and strength makes a much bigger difference than rink size. That's why Matthews came to Switzerland rather than remaining in the USHL.

Matthews went to Switzerland because he aged out of the USNTDP and didn't want to commit to a College. If he's Hughes age he 100% would have stayed in the USNTDP.

Size doesn't mean as much as it used to. It's why guys like Kane, Marner, DeBrincat and many others can be a factor these days in the NHL. Hell Pettersson is a twig and although he got injured he had zero issues with the NHL.

Reactions: mdj12784 and Oneiro

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
For example Marner is playing a rather aggressive game that has allowed him to succeed despite his size creating a lot of turnovers, so far I'm not convinced about Hughes having the same. He'll have to prove that he has something else in order to not to appear like a deer in the headlights.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
How did Kakko "slap him" when he has literally never had a better ppg in the same tourney?

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
For example Marner is playing a rather aggressive game that has allowed him to succeed despite his size creating a lot of turnovers, so far I'm not convinced about Hughes having the same. He'll have to prove that he has something else in order to not to appear like a deer in the headlights.
Well Hughes is a far better skater than Marner for one

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I’d worry about his size if he wasn’t an all world skater. Luckily, many scouts see him as one of the best overall skaters they have ever seen.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
But the U.S has already named their preliminary roster.

So there's a chance he gets a late invitation?

Some folks have already responded but I'll chime in as well. Jack's primary responsibility is to play for the U18 team and the whole season kind of culminates in this tournament. That being said, while the preliminary roster has been released, there's a good chance that if Jack wants to play, he'll get the late invitation. The announcers were speculating during the game today that that might happen. (Nothing guaranteed, but I personally think there's a pretty good chance he ends up at the WC as well.

It would definitely be nice as well because the Devils head coach, John Hynes, is an assistant coach for the US team.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA

Why do Fins get sooooo offended and have to turn everything into a Hughes vs Kakko debate. For the record, Ive never seen a tournament where Kakko “slapped” him. Ive actually never even seen a tournament where he was decisively better either

Reactions: DVision44
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad