C Gabriel Vilardi (2017, 11th, LAK)

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
He has a higher ceiling than Alex Turcotte change my mind.

I would never try.

I've said it all through his injury, I think even a slightly-less-than-100% Vilardi is our best prospect by a country mile, he's just in a different stratosphere than anyone else. And it would be the best thing that's happened to the Kings drafting since Doughty.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I would never try.

I've said it all through his injury, I think even a slightly-less-than-100% Vilardi is our best prospect by a country mile, he's just in a different stratosphere than anyone else. And it would be the best thing that's happened to the Kings drafting since Doughty.
You know, I wasn’t really paying attention, but the Kings have an extremely bright future. Perhaps Doughty didn’t make the wrong decision to extend long-term after all.

Vilardi, Turcotte, Thomas, Kupari, JAD, Kaliyev on offense. All those guys have real chances to be top-6 players, and the first two are legitimately elite.

Bjornfot was obviously a revelation, and I love Clague. Durzi and Anderson could be something on the back end, too.

How’s the future in goal looking, would be the big concern IMO. Although it seems like it’s fairly easy to acquire decent to good goalies for cheap, with only 31 starting spots available and so many teams against the cap.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
You know, I wasn’t really paying attention, but the Kings have an extremely bright future. Perhaps Doughty didn’t make the wrong decision to extend long-term after all.

Vilardi, Turcotte, Thomas, Kupari, JAD, Kaliyev on offense. All those guys have real chances to be top-6 players, and the first two are legitimately elite.

Bjornfot was obviously a revelation, and I love Clague. Durzi and Anderson could be something on the back end, too.

How’s the future in goal looking, would be the big concern IMO. Although it seems like it’s fairly easy to acquire decent to good goalies for cheap, with only 31 starting spots available and so many teams against the cap.

The prospect pool has turned around in a hurry. If Vilardi stays healthy, it's very talented, and getting a top pick in this upcoming draft could make it arguably the most talented prospect pool in the NHL. The front office has indicated it's viewing 2021-22 as the next real season to seriously re-open the playoff window.

There are no stud defensemen in the pool, but, like you said, there are some talented options in Anderson/Durzi/Bjornfot (and maybe Clague).

At the moment, Cal Petersen is the presumed future starter within the next 2 seasons. His GAA is over 3 this year in the AHL, but that comes with a .915 SV% on a very young team. If you ask the Reign coach (Mike Stothers), Petersen is the only reason the Reign are hovering around .500. He has been the clear MVP so far this year for them. Beyond that, Lukas Parik (2019 3rd round pick) seems to have the most potential. He's having a decent year so far in his first in the WHL. There's a chance he could be playing games for the Czech Republic at the WJC.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Think Vilardi will get a call-up after Christmas?

They could nab Askarov with a top pick in the 2020 draft to get a stud goalie should they want to go that route.

Reactions: Dominance

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
He looks like a RH Draisaitl

We can hope.. I always thought he was Tavares 2.0..... Yet everybody else before the injury thought he'd be the next Anze Kopitar, so if he's anything like the 3 mentioned we'd be ok with that lol

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Think Vilardi will get a call-up after Christmas?

They could nab Askarov with a top pick in the 2020 draft to get a stud goalie should they want to go that route.

I think its unlikely he'll get called up this season. He's been out for a long time and I don't think they want to risk anything by sending him to the big club in a losing season. I think the only way he gets called up is if we have a bunch of injuries or its garbage time at the end of the season and he's shown to be healthy the rest of the year.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He has a higher ceiling than Alex Turcotte change my mind.

You can think what you want, so I won't bother trying, but I disagree. There are too many people out there that think because Turcotte doesn't shirk his defensive responsibilities, like some highly touted center prospects do, he's not that good offensively.

His offensive potential is likely similar to Vilardi, and he doesn't have significant skating issues.

I also say this as someone who was a huge fan of Vilardi pre-draft. I ranked him third in that draft. I think he'll come good for LA, but I think Turcotte is better all-around. But you can think what you want. Turcotte has been perpetually underrated for years. If his own fans want to underrate him, that's their issue.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
You can think what you want, so I won't bother trying, but I disagree. There are too many people out there that think because Turcotte doesn't shirk his defensive responsibilities, like some highly touted center prospects do, he's not that good offensively.

His offensive potential is likely similar to Vilardi, and he doesn't have significant skating issues.

I also say this as someone who was a huge fan of Vilardi pre-draft. I ranked him third in that draft. I think he'll come good for LA, but I think Turcotte is better all-around. But you can think what you want. Turcotte has been perpetually underrated for years. If his own fans want to underrate him, that's their issue.
I think Turcotte/Caulfield could very well be the best players from this class in a few years (I know the likelihood of one of the higher guys not being the best is slim but I honestly believe this

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

bland

Jul 1, 2004

I agree. This Kings fan rates Turcotte higher than Vilardi, and by a significant margin.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Let me get this straight--you think that's why Kings fans underrate him? Kings? With Anze Kopitar, famously low-scoring, two-way hockey team?

I'm all for people pumping up Turcotte. Hell, pretty sick of getting told all over these boards that he's a 'low ceiling' guy, I agree that he's sick offensively. I think he's got a lot in common with prime Mike Richards. I just happen to think that a full-go Vilardi is more like full-go Jason Allison. I doubt it's underrating Turcotte to say he's an 80-point, heart-and-soul, Selke caliber player. If anything, I think we're just overrating Vilardi.

But that's cool, if people want to start telling us Turcotte is awesome instead of the other garbage, by all means, please lecture us on that, it'll be a nice turn of events!

Edit: and FWIW the Kings board ranks their prospects each offseason and Turcotte > Vilardi there, there are just a few of us that see it the other way.

And I don't feel like that it's such a controversial opinion that it deserves the smug mocking tone you're giving it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fishhead

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I love both Turcotte and Vilardi.

I think Vilardi has a better skillset and hockey brain.

Turcotte is also extremely skilled, but he separates himself with his will and competitiveness.

If people like Turcotte more, I get it. It's a matter of taste.

But please don't paint us all in this ignorant, yokel corner just because we don't disagree.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
I love both Turcotte and Vilardi.

I think Vilardi has a better skillset and hockey brain.

Turcotte is also extremely skilled, but he separates himself with his will and competitiveness.

If people like Turcotte more, I get it. It's a matter of taste.

But please don't paint us all in this ignorant, yokel corner just because we don't disagree.

Luckily for us we have them both. With Anderson-Dolan projecting as a high-compete 3rd line center, the Kings will easily afford having one top 6 center who may not show the attention to defensive detail of Turcotte or JAD. I prefer having my top offensive center err on the side of production.

But head to head, I will take the guy who is ultra competitive while still showing terrific hands and vision.

That being said, I still think Petersen is the Kings top prospect at the moment.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Let me get this straight--you think that's why Kings fans underrate him? Kings? With Anze Kopitar, famously low-scoring, two-way hockey team?

I'm all for people pumping up Turcotte. Hell, pretty sick of getting told all over these boards that he's a 'low ceiling' guy, I agree that he's sick offensively. I think he's got a lot in common with prime Mike Richards. I just happen to think that a full-go Vilardi is more like full-go Jason Allison. I doubt it's underrating Turcotte to say he's an 80-point, heart-and-soul, Selke caliber player. If anything, I think we're just overrating Vilardi.

This is it right here.

I wouldn't even compare their ceilings really, because they are different players. Turcotte reads the entire ice better and seems to really grasp the flow of the game. He's excellent in all three zones, has a great offensive skill set, and can play in any situation. Vilardi from what I have seen lately, is still working on the defensive part of it. It's not really built in with him and you can see him thinking a bit on the ice. His offensive vision surpasses Turcotte's, in my opinion. He reads plays very quickly offensively, even after the long layoff. It's like he sees a lane for a pass or a shot and it's done. Allison is a good comparison, but I think Vilardi is more shifty and skates better. He actually reminds me a lot of Kopitar, minus the Selke level skills. Great at puck retrieval, can do power moves if needed.

I don't think Kings fans really underrate or overrate either, we just look at them differently. For many, the reason Turcotte is ahead of Vilardi right now is because we don't fully trust that he's good to go and 100% healed up.

Reactions: ibleedkings

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Luckily for us we have them both. With Anderson-Dolan projecting as a high-compete 3rd line center, the Kings will easily afford having one top 6 center who may not show the attention to defensive detail of Turcotte or JAD. I prefer having my top offensive center err on the side of production.

But head to head, I will take the guy who is ultra competitive while still showing terrific hands and vision.

That being said, I still think Petersen is the Kings top prospect at the moment.

Absolutely.

Turcotte is a culture defining player the Kings need from their youth. Like a Toews or Richards.

Vilardi, if he can make a full recovery, is the kind of player teams will have to contain due to his offensive skillset.

This isn't a knock against Turcotte. Vilardi is just that talented. He put up killer numbers in juniors while playing half a season. He's putting up good numbers in the minors after not playing for a season and a half, and is still trying to get comfortable.

He has an honest and mature self-assessment of what he needs to do.

The Kings are very lucky to have both.

It's just puzzling that PB, whose assessments I respect even if I disagree with, would say we're underrating Turcotte or don't recognize his offensive skillset.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
When comparing Gabriel Vilardi and Alex Turcotte the first thing people need to realize is that they're completely different players with different skill sets.. So a straight comparison does them a disservice, especially since both with be on the Kings within the next year or so

Gabriel Vilardi - Has imho, John Tavares type offensive potential. He will potemntially be good enough defensively because of his IQ, active stick and quickness/suddenness. He'll be known for his offense and that's where he's a notch above Turcotte. He unlike Kopitar has a scorers mentality, he has a wicked, accurate shot, he drives to the net hard, has sick moves(see SO) and can pass with his elite vision.

Alex Turcotte - Screams Patrice Bergeron, he is the complete package with his 200ft game. While his offense isnt up to Vilardi's, he has the making of a yearly 60-80(big gap I know) point player. Great shot, fast skater, agility, drive/will/compete are off the charts.. His defense is at times otherworldly! If he was on the Kings right now, ^^^he'd be on of their top 3 defensive players. I know a lot of people think Mike Richards because of his size but at the same age/development stage Alex Turcotte is head and shoulders above where MR was... although they both share the same attributes I bolded above.

As a bonus, if we luck out and get a Quinton Byfield.. Well, the rest of the NHL is going to be f***ed because that Kopitar guy is still kinda good!

Reactions: ibleedkings

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Absolutely.

Turcotte is a culture defining player the Kings need from their youth. Like a Toews or Richards.

Vilardi, if he can make a full recovery, is the kind of player teams will have to contain due to his offensive skillset.

This isn't a knock against Turcotte. Vilardi is just that talented. He put up killer numbers in juniors while playing half a season. He's putting up good numbers in the minors after not playing for a season and a half, and is still trying to get comfortable.

He has an honest and mature self-assessment of what he needs to do.

The Kings are very lucky to have both.

It's just puzzling that PB, whose assessments I respect even if I disagree with, would say we're underrating Turcotte or don't recognize his offensive skillset.
I didn't read that as an indictment of "us" in general, just the posters who may not have thoroughly explained their views and appear to be more cut and dried.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad