C Gabriel Vilardi (2017, 11th, LAK)

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
When comparing Gabriel Vilardi and Alex Turcotte the first thing people need to realize is that they're completely different players with different skill sets.. So a straight comparison does them a disservice, especially since both with be on the Kings within the next year or so

Gabriel Vilardi - Has imho, John Tavares type offensive potential. He will potemntially be good enough defensively because of his IQ, active stick and quickness/suddenness. He'll be known for his offense and that's where he's a notch above Turcotte. He unlike Kopitar has a scorers mentality, he has a wicked, accurate shot, he drives to the net hard, has sick moves(see SO) and can pass with his elite vision.

Alex Turcotte - Screams Patrice Bergeron, he is the complete package with his 200ft game. While his offense isnt up to Vilardi's, he has the making of a yearly 60-80(big gap I know) point player. Great shot, fast skater, agility, drive/will/compete are off the charts.. His defense is at times otherworldly! If he was on the Kings right now, ^^^he'd be on of their top 3 defensive players. I know a lot of people think Mike Richards because of his size but at the same age/development stage Alex Turcotte is head and shoulders above where MR was... although they both share the same attributes I bolded above.

As a bonus, if we luck out and get a Quinton Byfield.. Well, the rest of the NHL is going to be ****ed because that Kopitar guy is still kinda good!

John Tavares is one of the best offensive players of the past decade. Patrice Bergeron is a HOF centerman. What in the world is this post? Both are probably 2nd line players. Cool the jets.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Comparables for prospects like every Scout, GM, talent evaluator and fan on this board does..
Untangle your panties and remove whatever is up your ass..
The only thing thats kept Vilardi from shining offensively in the NHL had been back issues.. While still very early, all he's done against men is manhandled them and show off his promising skill set in a manner of days..
As for Turcotte, newsflash... he's a much, much better prospect than what Patrice was at the same age/development stage.. So there's zero shame in expecting him to develop into something special, he's just that good..
As to your comment that both are probably 2nd line players.. well ****, that be amazing and yet both could turn into top line, star talents..

Perhaps there is just no need to compare a prospect to established NHL stars. It serves no purpose.

Turcotte is absolutely nothing like Bergeron. I assume you think so because he is defensively responsible? That describes dozens of guys, not just locks for the Hall of Fame.

Vilardi's only comparable to Tavares in that both aren't world class skaters and both are terrific from the dots in. That describes dozens of players, not just superstars.

Just let Turcotte be Turcotte and Vilardi be Vilardi without the ridiculous projections.

Reactions: Eegs and HabsMD97

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Perhaps there is just no need to compare a prospect to established NHL stars. It serves no purpose.

Turcotte is absolutely nothing like Bergeron. I assume you think so because he is defensively responsible? That describes dozens of guys, not just locks for the Hall of Fame.

Vilardi's only comparable to Tavares in that both aren't world class skaters and both are terrific from the dots in. That describes dozens of players, not just superstars.

Just let Turcotte be Turcotte and Vilardi be Vilardi without the ridiculous projections.

Of course they'll be who they are, cmps are just for entertainment purposes ..
With that said, Turcotte and Bergeron absolutely share many similarities and that's beyond the defensive abilities. Their approach to the game is eerily similar, from their moves, to their stride, to how they attack the goalie down low, their playmaking and passing... I didn't use that Comp lightly..
Yes it does describe dozens of players when I made the Vilardi Comp, but few of those dozens have the sheer size, agility, quickness/suddenness, accuracy and lethal shot that Gabe has... This is from his time in the minors mind you, he is starting to show the same in Ontario coming back from a near 2 year hiatus with a back ailment. That by itself is damn impressive..

Fact is, if both this kids continue on their current trajectory and don't suffer any other ailments.. The Kings will be in for a quick turnaround and we as fans will be witness to another exciting stretch of Kings playoff hockey.. Add that Kopitar is still pretty damn good and that we could realistically land a Quinton Byfield to our current stable of players.. These are exciting times for the future of the franchise

Reactions: ibleedkings

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Of course they'll be who they are, cmps are just for entertainment purposes ..
With that said, Turcotte and Bergeron absolutely share many similarities and that's beyond the defensive abilities. Their approach to the game is eerily similar, from their moves, to their stride, to how they attack the goalie down low, their playmaking and passing... I didn't use that Comp lightly..
Yes it does describe dozens of players when I made the Vilardi Comp, but few of those dozens have the sheer size, agility, quickness/suddenness, accuracy and lethal shot that Gabe has... This is from his time in the minors mind you, he is starting to show the same in Ontario coming back from a near 2 year hiatus with a back ailment. That by itself is damn impressive..

Fact is, if both this kids continue on their current trajectory and don't suffer any other ailments.. The Kings will be in for a quick turnaround and we as fans will be witness to another exciting stretch of Kings playoff hockey.. Add that Kopitar is still pretty damn good and that we could realistically land a Quinton Byfield to our current stable of players.. These are exciting times for the future of the franchise

Neither Turcotte or Vilardi has a 1% of the talent of Tavares or Bergeron. That's where your comparison dies. It has nothing to do with back issues or injuries or whatever. They just aren't that talented.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Neither Turcotte or Vilardi has a 1% of the talent of Tavares or Bergeron. That's where your comparison dies. It has nothing to do with back issues or injuries or whatever. They just aren't that talented.
They are both very talented... not sure what your talking about.

Bergeron probably was seen as "not that talented" in his draft year/first few seasons after draft. Look at him now.

Either way they are comparing Turcotte to Bergeron stylistically, which is fine he does have a similar skillset/style to Bergeron... will he become the next Bergeron? Neither you or I know.

Tavares is a lil different as he was drafted 1st overall... so the talent level was clearly there at a young age.... But again I don't think anyone is claiming vilardi is the next Tavares, but simply plays a similar style game to him.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
As for Vilardi, really wanted ducks to trade up for him in the 17 draft. Thought he was the best player @ the draft.

Glad hes starting to get play time and hopefully well see him up in the NHL in the near future.

Vilardi - Turcotte has a very good high end potential 1-2 punch down the middle if they end up playing to their potential at the NHL level.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA

Not even 1%, huh. Those lame-o's shouldn't even have been drafted. They're more suited for shooting t-shirts out of cannons, amirite?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Let me get this straight--you think that's why Kings fans underrate him? Kings? With Anze Kopitar, famously low-scoring, two-way hockey team?

I'm all for people pumping up Turcotte. Hell, pretty sick of getting told all over these boards that he's a 'low ceiling' guy, I agree that he's sick offensively. I think he's got a lot in common with prime Mike Richards. I just happen to think that a full-go Vilardi is more like full-go Jason Allison. I doubt it's underrating Turcotte to say he's an 80-point, heart-and-soul, Selke caliber player. If anything, I think we're just overrating Vilardi.

But that's cool, if people want to start telling us Turcotte is awesome instead of the other garbage, by all means, please lecture us on that, it'll be a nice turn of events!

Edit: and FWIW the Kings board ranks their prospects each offseason and Turcotte > Vilardi there, there are just a few of us that see it the other way.

And I don't feel like that it's such a controversial opinion that it deserves the smug mocking tone you're giving it.

Kopitar isn't Turcotte, so because he played for your team, you don't then get to say that you definitely don't underrate a different player.

You also conflated two things I said. I think some Kings fans are underrating him. Comparing Vilardi and Turcotte involves a rating of both players, so even if you are overrating Vilardi, you are comparing him to Turcotte, and thus giving a rating of Turcotte's ability compared to Vilardi's. I also think Turcotte doesn't get his due for his offensive ability on a league-wide scale that he should due to his style of play.

If you think I'm giving you a smug mocking tone, you misinterpreted my post. I'm merely pointing out once again that Turcotte is underrated by nearly everyone. I like Vilardi, as well, and mentioned so.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas

I've heard some stupid things before but geez bud, you take the cake..
At this stage in his development, Patrice Bergeron wasn't sniffing Turcotte's jock. There's a reason Turcotte was the 5OA pick and Bergeron was the 45OA.. Granted, drafting and developing prospects can sometimes be a crapshoot, to say they dont have 1% of their talent is idiotic.. Vilardi has an offernsive arsenal that could allow him to be an immediate impact player should he continue on his trajectory as I mentioned previous if you even took the time to read through my post.

Reactions: crassbonanza

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I've heard some stupid things before but geez bud, you take the cake..
At this stage in his development, Patrice Bergeron wasn't sniffing Turcotte's jock. There's a reason Turcotte was the 5OA pick and Bergeron was the 45OA.. Granted, drafting and developing prospects can sometimes be a crapshoot, to say they dont have 1% of their talent is idiotic.. Vilardi has an offernsive arsenal that could allow him to be an immediate impact player should he continue on his trajectory as I mentioned previous if you even took the time to read through my post.
Not that I agree with the person you are responding to, but Bergeron is one of the very few players drafted in the 2nd round who made the NHL immediately after his draft year, and was a top 6 player on a playoff team. So, at this point in development you are referencing Bergeron was already a decent to good NHL player.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Turcotte is also still viewed as a blue chip prospect by the hockey world. Vilardi, with his injuries I am not sure nets a 2nd round pick at the draft, if he were offered up for trade.
He has too many warts , if you are familiar with the money ball term, the Kings would be foolish to trade him at this point.
It would be best to just let him develop and hopefully get healthier and play the rest of this season in the A

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Not that I agree with the person you are responding to, but Bergeron is one of the very few players drafted in the 2nd round who made the NHL immediately after his draft year, and was a top 6 player on a playoff team. So, at this point in development you are referencing Bergeron was already a decent to good NHL player.

Oh of course, he also further developed thanks to the lockout that allowed him to be the man in the AHL..
Turcotte on a better team could be in the NHL today warts and all.. Would he have matched Bergeron's 39pts, maybe/possibly... A lot of that was a winning culture in Boston which the Kings clearly do not have.. I think Turcotte leaves Wisconsin after this season and will likely play some in the AHL so we'll get a much better idea of the player he'll be

Reactions: crassbonanza

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

So using stylistic comparables is unfair because those guys are great nhlers--but saying neither blue chip prospect has 1% of the talent of either of those guys isn't outlandish?

Well, thank goodness you're here to rein us in.

Kopitar isn't Turcotte, so because he played for your team, you don't then get to say that you definitely don't underrate a different player.

You also conflated two things I said. I think some Kings fans are underrating him. Comparing Vilardi and Turcotte involves a rating of both players, so even if you are overrating Vilardi, you are comparing him to Turcotte, and thus giving a rating of Turcotte's ability compared to Vilardi's. I also think Turcotte doesn't get his due for his offensive ability on a league-wide scale that he should due to his style of play.

If you think I'm giving you a smug mocking tone, you misinterpreted my post. I'm merely pointing out once again that Turcotte is underrated by nearly everyone. I like Vilardi, as well, and mentioned so.

You said some fans are underrating him because he plays good defense so some think his offense is terrible. I pointed out we're Kings fans, that's pretty much every great player to come through here this last decade. The point is only that we're conditioned pretty well to know what elite/near-elite offense looks like in two-way players because Kopitar is a great example of that. Don't be deliberately obtuse about Kopitar isn't literally Turcotte.

You also said if LA fans want to underrate them, that's their issue. No, that's an opinion. It's not a controversial opinion to suggest Vilardi has a higher offensive ceiling than Turcotte, and you suggesting Kings fans have an issue if they say so is smug, as if you're the ultimate arbiter of relative abilities, and as if we don't have strong enough hockey thoughts of our own.

I usually enjoy your posts even if I disagree with you a lot, and you may not have intended to be smug, but there's definitely at least a wording issue there. Own it instead of blaming me for it. Both guys are largely overlooked, so coming in here guns blazing about Turcotte and talking down on Kings fans just because some people are overly stoked on Vilardi is just f***ing weird.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You said some fans are underrating him because he plays good defense so some think his offense is terrible. I pointed out we're Kings fans, that's pretty much every great player to come through here this last decade. The point is only that we're conditioned pretty well to know what elite/near-elite offense looks like in two-way players because Kopitar is a great example of that. Don't be deliberately obtuse about Kopitar isn't literally Turcotte.

You also said if LA fans want to underrate them, that's their issue. No, that's an opinion. It's not a controversial opinion to suggest Vilardi has a higher offensive ceiling than Turcotte, and you suggesting Kings fans have an issue if they say so is smug, as if you're the ultimate arbiter of relative abilities, and as if we don't have strong enough hockey thoughts of our own.

I usually enjoy your posts even if I disagree with you a lot, and you may not have intended to be smug, but there's definitely at least a wording issue there. Own it instead of blaming me for it. Both guys are largely overlooked, so coming in here guns blazing about Turcotte and talking down on Kings fans just because some people are overly stoked on Vilardi is just ****ing weird.

I didn't say anyone thinks his offense is terrible. I said that his offense is underrated because he's capable defensively. If he had little two-way ability, his offense would be talked about a lot more, and I think would get more of its proper due. This happens with a lot of good two-way players. I think this is a point that is often made about good two way players.

And yes, I do believe LA King fans underrate him. I think fans of other teams underrate him. I have my opinion , and I think I'll be right eventually, and other people will eventually correct their opinion to mine. I said the same thing pre-draft. You can look at my posts pre-draft on this topic. I don't think my tone is any different, nor is meant to be smug, but maybe there was a problem with how it came off.

My apologies for how it came off. I'm not here to pick a fight. I'm merely giving my opinion. As I said to the person I quoted, I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, but it was a discussion that a few people gave their opinion on, and I wanted to give mine.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

I think comparables are appropriate to describe a style and overall role. Not as a career projection. It simply helps paint a picture of how players play for those less familiar.

Nobody's expecting Vilardi to be Tavares or Turcotte to be Bergeron (or in my comparable, Toews).

But if a non-Kings fan asked me about Austin Wagner, the first player to come to mind is Chris Kreider. Speed is a strong asset, but he plays gritty and with an edge, and drives hard to the net (though he has less of a scoring touch than Kreider).

If it's a descriptor, I see no problem. If it's a projection, then it should be reined in.

As far as Vilardi, he said he models his game after Tavares. I'm still not sure if he's who I would compare him to, but it's not crazy to say a player who modeled his game after Tavares will sorta look like him at lower levels.

Plekatorz

Jun 6, 2019
What is insane and really interesting is that those two players are in the same team ! Man king’s fans are lucky. Your prospect pool is one of the best in the league and with the next draft, it could become The best.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
So using stylistic comparables is unfair because those guys are great nhlers--but saying neither blue chip prospect has 1% of the talent of either of those guys isn't outlandish?

Well, thank goodness you're here to rein us in.

I usually enjoy your posts even if I disagree with you a lot, and you may not have intended to be smug, but there's definitely at least a wording issue there. Own it instead of blaming me for it. Both guys are largely overlooked, so coming in here guns blazing about Turcotte and talking down on Kings fans just because some people are overly stoked on Vilardi is just ****ing weird.

I don't think Kings fans have seen Tavares plays much. He's one of the smartest players in the league with incredible puck skill, vision and creativity, and he leverages those tools to be one of the best offensive players in the world. In what world does Vilardi shown any of those things to this point. As another poster pointed out, the similarities start and end with JT and Vilardi both being average skaters that are strong on the puck. That's it. Irregardless of talent, I don't see any stylistic similarities.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I don't think Kings fans have seen Tavares plays much. He's one of the smartest players in the league with incredible puck skill, vision and creativity, and he leverages those tools to be one of the best offensive players in the world. In what world does Vilardi shown any of those things to this point. As another poster pointed out, the similarities start and end with JT and Vilardi both being average skaters that are strong on the puck. That's it. Irregardless of talent, I don't see any stylistic similarities.
You gotta dig a little deeper.

Tavares is an awesome player.

Vilardi is an awesome prospect with incredible vision, skill and creativity. LA fans can only hope he can become just as good. I have seen a ton of Vilardi. I can see the similarities between both and like Tavares, Gabe is a threat around the crease too. I think Vilardi’s skating is worse, though.

If you think Gabe has 1% of the talent of Tavares at the same age, than you shouldnt respond here at all.

You lecture people about a NHL player we all know about but knows nothing of Vilardi yourself.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
You gotta dig a little deeper.

Tavares is an awesome player.

Vilardi is an awesome prospect with incredible vision, skill and creativity. LA fans can only hope he can become just as good. I have seen a ton of Vilardi. I can see the similarities between both and like Tavares, Gabe is a threat around the crease. I think Vilardi’s skating is much worse, though.

If you think Gabe has 1% talent of the talent of Tavares at the same age, than you are just an incredible dipstick.

You lecture people about a NHL player we all know about but knows nothing of Vilardi yourself.

Tavares is one of the greatest OHL players of all time. Again, what in the world has Vilardi done to even be mentioned in the same breath as Tavares? It makes no sense.

Tavares has an elite shot. 72 goals in the OHL. Vilardi doesn't have one. Vilardi doesn't have the vision or creativity, nor the IQ defensively or offensively Tavares has. It's like comparing Caufield to Kane. Good player/prospect, but doesn't have nearly the capability of the latter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad