C Gabriel Vilardi (2017, 11th, LAK)

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Tavares is one of the greatest OHL players of all time. Again, what in the world has Vilardi done to even be mentioned in the same breath as Tavares? It makes no sense.

Tavares has an elite shot. 72 goals in the OHL. Vilardi doesn't have one. Vilardi doesn't have the vision or creativity, nor the IQ defensively or offensively Tavares has. It's like comparing Caufield to Kane. Good player/prospect, but doesn't have nearly the capability of the latter.
Just stop.

For some reason you still cant understand what people are saying and it is time you start to admit you know nothing about Vilardi.

You are only ****hurt about the Tavares-Vilardi comparison.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Neither Turcotte or Vilardi has a 1% of the talent of Tavares or Bergeron. That's where your comparison dies. It has nothing to do with back issues or injuries or whatever. They just aren't that talented.

jesus christ, less than 1% than Tavares?

so basically Turcotte and Vilardi are like Josh Leivo and Pontus Aberg?

damn, ok well given this knowledge...

Turcotte + Vilardi

for cond. 7th?

or you wouldn't do this trade since it would clog the talents like Pierre Engvall and Kenny Agostino to get called up?

what a dilemma

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Just stop.

For some reason you still cant understand what people are saying and it is time you start to admit you know nothing about Vilardi.

You are only ****hurt about the Tavares-Vilardi comparison.

I'm saying both the Tavares-Vilardi comparison (stylistically and talent), as well as Bergeron-Turcotte (stylistically) does not make sense at all. I've said many times, explain how EITHER makes sense. The only thing I've heard is average skating and strong on the puck. How exactly is that an accurate comp? What else do these two have in common? You keep deflecting rather than even acknowledge anything being posted.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
jesus christ, less than 1% than Tavares?

so basically Turcotte and Vilardi are like Josh Leivo and Pontus Aberg?

damn, ok well given this knowledge...

Turcotte + Vilardi

for cond. 7th?

or you wouldn't do this trade since it would clog the talents like Pierre Engvall and Kenny Agostino to get called up?

what a dilemma

Tavares and Bergeron are HOF centermen. I don't understand how this is even a discussion. Talentwise or stylistically how are they similar?

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I'm saying both the Tavares-Vilardi comparison (stylistically and talent), as well as Bergeron-Turcotte (stylistically) does not make sense at all. I've said many times, explain how EITHER makes sense. The only thing I've heard is average skating and strong on the puck. How exactly is that an accurate comp? What else do these two have in common? You keep deflecting rather than even acknowledge anything being posted.
Than you have a reading problem. Everything has been said now.

If it make you feel any better, just forget Tavares for a second and understand Vilardi is a potential franchise centerman. Just the fact he constantly produces after missing major time, says it all. That’s pure hockey sense.

Reactions: crassbonanza

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Tavares and Bergeron are HOF centermen. I don't understand how this is even a discussion. Talentwise or stylistically how are they similar?

they are called comparables

ie Alexis Lafreniere has some LeCavalier in him

doesn't mean that Lafreniere has done anything that LeCavalier has, of course not ... one is a junior player

but for you to have this hindsight about Turcotte being a bust (which he is, if he's not even 1% of Tavares) or it means you're making the 2nd Center of TO some kind of a GOD (which is the same center that when bounced from NYI made NYI an elite team)

i grant you that... Tavares is a deity from a religion i care not to practice

regardless, you should definitely become a scout, i swear this type of knowledge that you have is not even shared by 1% of the world population

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Than you have a reading problem. Everything has been said now.

If it make you feel any better, just forget Tavares for a second and understand Vilardi is a potential franchise centerman. Just the fact he constantly produces after missing major time, says it all. That’s pure hockey sense.

How is he a potential franchise centerman? What exactly has he done that has shown he has that ability? Give me some numbers relative to comps or something.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
they are called comparables

ie Alexis Lafreniere has some LeCavalier in him

doesn't mean that Lafreniere has done anything that LeCavalier has, of course not ... one is a junior player

but for you to have this hindsight about Turcotte being a bust (which he is, if he's not even 1% of Tavares) or it means you're making the 2nd Center of TO some kind of a GOD (which is the same center that when bounced from NYI made NYI an elite team)

i grant you that... Tavares is a deity from a religion i care not to practice

regardless, you should definitely become a scout, i swear this type of knowledge that you have is not even shared by 1% of the world population

You have people in this thread saying he's going to be in the hall of fame without playing a single game, and others arguing he can be as good as Tavares, while others are saying he has shown franchise centerman potential. All of that is literally insane. His production thusfar shows a likely 2nd line player. There's nothing wrong with that. He just hasn't shown anywhere near that yet. Give me some numbers and I'll change my mind.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
You have people in this thread saying he's going to be in the hall of fame without playing a single game, and others arguing he can be as good as Tavares, while others are saying he has shown franchise centerman potential. All of that is literally insane. His production thusfar shows a likely 2nd line player. There's nothing wrong with that. He just hasn't shown anywhere near that yet. Give me some numbers and I'll change my mind.

i'm putting my money on Turcotte being at least 2% of what your Deity is producing

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
There are also people in this thread (you specifically) saying that neither Vilardi nor Turcotte have 1% of the talent that Tavares and Bergeron have. So that kind of evens it out I guess.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
There are also people in this thread (you specifically) saying that neither Vilardi nor Turcotte have 1% of the talent that Tavares and Bergeron have. So that kind of evens it out I guess.

All I'm asking for is ANY shred of evidence that Vilardi should be mentioned in the same breath as Tavares and nobody has even been able to give any sort of numbers or really anything to show me why it isn't ridiculous. Show me one scouting report that has him as franchise potential recently.

Pronman just did a review of the 2017 draft class today:
Pronman: Auditing the grades for the 2017 NHL Draft

He remarks that although Vilardi has top 6 potential his skating holds him back. NOT a franchise player.

So I ask once again, why is franchise potential being thrown around?

People in here are just throwing around franchise potential with Vilardi as if he's done something to deserve that.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
All I'm asking for is ANY shred of evidence that Vilardi should be mentioned in the same breath as Tavares and nobody has even been able to give any sort of numbers or really anything to show me why it isn't ridiculous. Show me one scouting report that has him as franchise potential recently.

He remarks that although Vilardi has top 6 potential his skating holds him back. NOT a franchise player.

People in here are just throwing around franchise potential with Vilardi as if he's done something to deserve that.

Wow. You sure mischaracterized what Pronman said. Did you think none of us had subscriptions to compare?

The Kings’ top draft pick, Gabriel Vilardi, is a tough player to assess given how much time he’s missed in the past few years. When on the ice he’s shown top-six forward potential due to his skill and hockey IQ, even if his skating is average.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Wow. You sure mischaracterized what Pronman said. Did you think none of us had subscriptions to compare?

Where did I mischaracterize anything? He didn't mention franchise potential at all. He said top 6 potential and skating holds him back. Exactly what I posted.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands

Draft pedigree, Memorial Cup 2017, close to 2 PPG in his D1 season, 6’3”center with exceptional passing skills, NHL worthy wrist shot. Most importantly, just watch him play if you somehow have an eye for talent.

Convinced ? Of course not, because it is totally irrelevant for you, but since you asked..

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Draft pedigree, Memorial Cup 2017, close to 2 PPG in his D1 season, 6’3”center with exceptional passing skills, NHL worthy wrist shot. Most importantly, just watch him play if you somehow have an eye for talent.

Convinced ? Of course not, because it is totally irrelevant for you, nor does it matter, but since you asked..

And how many prospects have put up those types of numbers? I recall many prospects who have been at that level of production or better within the last five years and not all are franchise prospects.

McMichael is currently above 2PPG and he's not close to a franchise level prospect.

Again, what has he done that is UNIQUE that shows he has franchise potential? Show me something that he's done that nobody else has done. That is franchise potential. Not average D+1 stats.

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
And how many prospects have put up those types of numbers? I recall many prospects who have been at that level of production or better within the last five years and not all are franchise prospects.

McMichael is currently above 2PPG and he's not close to a franchise level prospect.

Again, what has he done that is UNIQUE that shows he has franchise potential? Show me something that he's done that nobody else has done. That is franchise potential. Not average D+1 stats.
What did Bergeron do that was so unique in his junior career? He was barely a PPG player and he's become a potential HOFer. So having said that, what make you so sure that any prospect, Vilardi, Turcotte, or McMichael, won't become as good as Bergeron, let alone 1% of him.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
Where did I mischaracterize anything? He didn't mention franchise potential at all. He said top 6 potential and skating holds him back. Exactly what I posted.

He said "When on the ice he’s shown top-six forward potential due to his skill and hockey IQ, EVEN IF his skating is average." He explicitly said his skating DOES NOT hold him back.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

You are a moving target.

First, you pretty clearly found this thread by searching "tavares" and had to defend a Leaf for some reason instead of talking about Vilardi. You haven't said a word about how he plays or his abilities, all you've done is talk about JT and why no one can touch him.

Second, you threw out the absolutely ludicrous claim that neither Vilardi NOR Turcotte has even ONE PERCENT the talent of Tavares, so don't bother lecturing anyone else about their evaluations.

Then, people started describing Vilardi's abilities, and you disagreed, demanding evidence.

People provided evidence, and now you're complaining about evidence of his abilities, might as well compare him to Corey Locke while you're at it.

It's pretty clear you have your mind made up and aren't here to discuss Vilardi, you're here to complain about your dude Tavares when someone made a stylistic comparison, not a production comparison. You're deliberately being stubborn in anything anyone throws at you. So what exactly is your point or purpose?

Here's my take. I'm extremely high on him. It's ok if you're not, but stop acting like people are insane, because there's plenty of evidence combined with eye test. Based on his stats and what I've seen--all while being hampered by a major injury, mind you--I feel like he's going to be a major force. Personally, I think he's more like Jason Allison or Corey Perry--strength, reach, underrated vision, insane hockey IQ--but I don't feel like the Tavares comparison is worthy of derision. You're describing JT as if he's a generational player or something, he hovers around PPG give or take 10 points a year, and I think Vilardi has that ceiling, that of a top-10ish center. The bigger problem is you're taking personal the stylistic comparison, acting as if people are saying he's guaranteed to be a better player and producer than Tavares, when really they're just trying to describe his abilities.

I think the other major thing you're leaving off is that this is a guy who came off a career-threatening (it seems, anyway) injury and waltzed right into the AHL and was immediately the best player on the ice, going over PPG after a scoreless first game. I want to see what he can do when fully operational because this guy who has only played 10 hockey games in the last two years can come into a mens league and just flat out dominate.

He's got the body and the brain to succeed in the nhl to go with sick hands. I'm excited to see him play with better players because he's an elite thinker. I think his skating isn't going to be a huge drawback because he's not a rush-style player anyways but also frankly the Kings' farm is stocked with speed and a lack of size/strength now so he actually may fit the mold even better, and because his IQ gets him in the right position 9 times out of 10. Plus, there's that burning drive to be better, the thoughtful self-evaluations as evidenced after every game, and a feistiness I wasn't even really aware he had, already coming in and chirping and shoving men around. The guy already has every tool but speed, it's hard not to be excited, and though there are no guarantees, particularly with his health and weird-ass development curve due to time off, we're watching a guy who just flat out dummies professional men already, any growth from this point is just huge.

Like I said, thank goodness you're here to keep everyone straight with your "1% talent" evaluation. It was a real bummer having great discussions with a bunch of people that are excited about a phenomenal prospect putting his career back on the rails. Go ahead and keep that pedantic focus on "lol not Tavares" if you like, but you're missing a good talk and positive vibes.

Last edited:

ibleedkings

Rob Fake
Jul 19, 2004
Santa Clarita
You are a moving target.

First, you pretty clearly found this thread by searching "tavares" and had to defend a Leaf for some reason instead of talking about Vilardi. You haven't said a word about how he plays or his abilities, all you've done is talk about JT and why no one can touch him.

Second, you threw out the absolutely ludicrous claim that neither Vilardi NOR Turcotte has even ONE PERCENT the talent of Tavares, so don't bother lecturing anyone else about their evaluations.

Then, people started describing Vilardi's abilities, and you disagreed, demanding evidence.

People provided evidence, and now you're complaining about evidence of his abilities, might as well compare him to Corey Locke while you're at it.

It's pretty clear you have your mind made up and aren't here to discuss Vilardi, you're here to complain about your dude Tavares when someone made a stylistic comparison, not a production comparison. You're deliberately being stubborn in anything anyone throws at you. So what exactly is your point or purpose?

Here's my take. I'm extremely high on him. It's ok if you're not, but stop acting like people are insane, because there's plenty of evidence combined with eye test. Based on his stats and what I've seen--all while being hampered by a major injury, mind you--I feel like he's going to be a major force. Personally, I think he's more like Jason Allison or Corey Perry--strength, reach, underrated vision, insane hockey IQ--but I don't feel like the Tavares comparison is worthy of derision. You're describing JT as if he's a generational player or something, he hovers around PPG give or take 10 points a year, and I think Vilardi has that ceiling, that of a top-10ish center. The bigger problem is you're taking personal the stylistic comparison, acting as if people are saying he's guaranteed to be a better player and producer than Tavares, when really they're just trying to describe his abilities.

I think the other major thing you're leaving off is that this is a guy who came off a career-threatening (it seems, anyway) injury and waltzed right into the AHL and was immediately the best player on the ice, going over PPG after a scoreless first game. I want to see what he can do when fully operational because this guy who has only played 10 hockey games in the last two years can come into a mens league and just flat out dominate.

He's got the body and the brain to succeed in the nhl to go with sick hands. I'm excited to see him play with better players because he's an elite thinker. I think his skating isn't going to be a huge drawback because he's not a rush-style player anyways but also frankly the Kings' farm is stocked with speed and a lack of size/strength now so he actually may fit the mold even better, and because his IQ gets him in the right position 9 times out of 10. Plus, there's that burning drive to be better, the thoughtful self-evaluations as evidenced after every game, and a feistiness I wasn't even really aware he had, already coming in and chirping and shoving men around. The guy already has every tool but speed, it's hard not to be excited, and though there are no guarantees, particularly with his health and weird-ass development curve due to time off, we're watching a guy who just flat out dummies professional men already, any growth from this point is just huge.

Like I said, thank goodness you're here to keep everyone straight with your "1% talent" evaluation. It was a real bummer having great discussions with a bunch of people that are excited about a phenomenal prospect putting his career back on the rails. Go ahead and keep that pedantic focus on "lol not Tavares" if you like, but you're missing a good talk and positive vibes.

pwn3d!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad