C Fyodor Svechkov (2021, 19th, NSH)

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
That would be tremendously stupid

He is known as being a defensive center with some offensive upside . I don't know if it is actually better for him to play VHL/4th line KHL minutes with SKA vs possible top 6 icetime in the AHL.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
He is known as being a defensive center with some offensive upside . I don't know if it is actually better for him to play VHL/4th line KHL minutes with SKA vs possible top 6 icetime in the AHL.
The AHL will make a defensive minded bottom sixer for life out of him. He won't learn offence there. The KHL might still teach him more offence.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
The AHL will make a defensive minded bottom sixer for life out of him. He won't learn offence there. The KHL might still teach him more offence.

Maybe , players like Barbashev who I thought was a for life bottom sixer have surprised me though so who knows.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Maybe , players like Barbashev who I thought was a for life bottom sixer have surprised me though so who knows.
Barbashev is still not what could have been. More like after years and years he might be reaching his potential and it's only a might. Who says he can repeat this season's performance?

I mean it's fun he is now lighting it up alongside Buchnevich. They were leading our U20 NT once. But I see how much better Buchnevich is and can't help but attribute it to their development paths.

Reactions: wings5

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Don't see why he wouldn't learn offense in Milwaukee, lots of first round picks learn offense in the AHL.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Don't see why he wouldn't learn offense in Milwaukee, lots of first round picks learn offense in the AHL.
They learn NA offence. That is not something a russian rospect starts learning in Russia. Also the level of creativity in the AHL is far below the KHL. If you want to teach a russian prospect to play better, smarter offensive hockey you give him 2-3 years in the KHL to learn that, In the AHL they learn completely different things that do not improve their offence. Svechkov is on his best way to be a KHL regular next season.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
They learn NA offence.

This might have been true in the 70s but today offense is offense.

That is not something a Russian prospect starts learning in Russia.

I think offense is offense and playing time in the AHL is better than riding the bench in the KHL

Also the level of creativity in the AHL is far below the KHL.

If you want to teach a russian prospect to play better, smarter offensive hockey you give him 2-3 years in the KHL to learn that,

Where have I heard this before, funny that other players can develop in the AHL but not Russians?

In the AHL they learn completely different things that do not improve their offence.

That's your subjective view and there is really no way to debate this, Is playing limited minutes on an ever changing roster really any better?

Svechkov is on his best way to be a KHL regular next season.

Not likely as he is heading to the AHL.

Rufus T Firefly

Jul 8, 2020
I think offense is offense and playing time in the AHL is better than riding the bench in the KHL

Where have I heard this before, funny that other players can develop in the AHL but not Russians?
Historically and statistically speaking Russian forward prospects have not done well in the AHL while they have done well when developing in Russia. There's a very clear pattern in the last 10 years. There are exceptions like with anything else (Kucherov, Svechnikov, who themselves are kind of exceptions as a Hart winner and a #2 draft pick) but the general trend is that it is much better for Russian forwards to spend several years in Russia before coming over to NA.

If he's doing this well in the VHL, I'm sure he'll be in the KHL next year, especially given that SKA has usually had depth on the wings but not down the middle. While development through the KHL is different than the NA system in terms of ice-time and role it is not worse for Russian forwards, despite not getting prime roles and tons of ice time right away. In fact it looks to be much more beneficial instead of going the AHL route.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
PPG in the VHL at this point.

Only Chibrikov is expectedly ahead of him in that age group.

Technically this is true, but Svechkov got off to a really rough start. No excuses and his season point total is what it is, while Chibrikov "started on time." But Svechkov has 28 points in his last 19 games. That's absolutely nuts for an 18 year old in what I would call probably the 8th or 9th best hockey league in the world.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Technically this is true, but Svechkov got off to a really rough start. No excuses and his season point total is what it is, while Chibrikov "started on time." But Svechkov has 28 points in his last 19 games. That's absolutely nuts for an 18 year old in what I would call probably the 8th or 9th best hockey league in the world.
Totals are totals. The whole idea of a total is that it is accumulated over a longer stretch to show us a performance in a season rather than a short period of time. They are both roughly the same age. And then there is the WJC performance of Svechkov. It is what it is. He lacks the offensive tools of the absolute best in class, but has a lot of other assets that made him valuable before the draft and will be throughout his career. We both know though if a player does not score he won't find a place in the Top6 in the NHL easily. Svechkov's development and numbers are just fine for now. What he really needs is to work on his offence to translate to higher levels.

For where he was taken(30+ picks ahead of Chibrikov) he should have been outperforming him at ease. He won't, because Chibrikov always was and is the better forward offensively. I wish them both to succeed. I am the last person who wants an another E.Svechnikov-Kaprizov-case to happen.

ladafan

Mar 9, 2021
Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille