C Fyodor Svechkov (2021, 19th, NSH)

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
My exact thought as well.

It's absolutely crazy to me. Look at guys like Bergeron and ROR. Those guys are great players but aren't bringing people out of their seats while dangling the opposition. They're making safe, smart plays to move the puck up ice and disrupt the opponents offensive zone control. Svechkov does that really well.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Some Kuznetsov's vibes in this video. I really like his skating and hands. Best C prospect from Russia for many years.

Maybe the similarities are that they are both playmakers but from what I remember about Kuznetsov is that he wasn’t that gritty as a prospect. Svechkov plays a pretty rock solid 2-way gritty game in comparison.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Maybe the similarities are that they are both playmakers but from what I remember about Kuznetsov is that he wasn’t that gritty as a prospect. Svechkov plays a pretty rock solid 2-way gritty game in comparison.

Kotkaniemi comes to mind as a comparable for Svechkov

Reactions: Fatass

bagsw

Apr 17, 2016
Saint Petersburg, Russia
Sure, different players, but some tricks on ice from the video bring me back to times when I was watching every single Traktor's game and young Kuzy did same things regularly.

bagsw

Apr 17, 2016
Saint Petersburg, Russia
No idea what that's based on but ok.

Having said that, Loko is a tough opponent, no doubt.
It is based on the last season, Skabelka's past and new players that came to the team. I think that there is a consensus in Russian hockey community that Loko has very good chances to win the cup this year. Considering that CSKA has no coach, SKA has Rotenberg and no real top-players, Dynamo has weak defence I think that Loko will most likely win the conference.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
It is based on the last season, Skabelka's past and new players that came to the team. I think that there is a consensus in Russian hockey community that Loko has very good chances to win the cup this year. Considering that CSKA has no coach, SKA has Rotenberg and no real top-players, Dynamo has weak defence I think that Loko will most likely win the conference.
That is a hot take. SKA's problem is hardly Rotenberg as such, but as they decided to be the prospect cradle, they simply don't have spots for established stars and thus no top line and no loaded defence. Fedorov is sure not leading CSKA to glory this season in my book too, but let's not forget their roster wasn't impressive last season already and it wasn't improved, rather downgraded a bit. Dynamo's defence will be just fine though. Expect Voynov to come in too. If he wasn't on a donut diet in that whole time off, he probably is still a valuable asset. And expect their MHL youth to come in here and there during the season.

All that said I just don't see the superpower of Lokomotiv in the roster. Their goaltending is just okay, the D is nothing special, just as last season and like SKA they don't really have a top line. I see the same Lokomotiv as every year, too good to be called middle of the pack, not good enough to win it all. To say that they will likely win the conference is an exxagereation at least. They might play for it come spring.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I don't know what kind of hive mind is the Russian hockey community but Loko's defense is worse than any of those listed teams, they have no real backup goalie and major stakes are stacked on the fact Kraskovsky is actually a 40-point player he was last year and not the 7-point player he was the year before. Skabelka's past is also fairly stained, to say the least.

I mean Loko is a good team, they are a good team every year. And they pose a serious challenge, they do that every year as well. But saying they are ahead of the pack and are favorites to win the conference feels like the "Russian hockey community" just wanting to see something new and talking themselves into the idea that this is the year something's going to be different.

I guess me and Atas see this very similarly, for once.

ladafan

Mar 9, 2021
Fedor Svechkov, the only Russian selected in the first round of the 2021 NHL Entry Draft by
Predators has a total of 38.56 ice time in 10 games for SKA system. Despite a good performance at the pre-season tournament in Sochi
FAEaa-1XMAcFNrC

In the first 10 games of last season for Lada He has a total of 124.09 min.

Reactions: BMann

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well, he played 3 games in the KHL with fairly decent ice time and hasn't done much. Not really sure what point are you trying to make in your post.

Yes, he played more games in the VHL last year and he scored in pre-season exhibition games. So? If you looked at Avto roster Svechkov played against in Sochi, that's basically their MHL team with 4 or 5 KHL regulars. What is him scoring some points against that level of competition supposed to tell us?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Fedor Svechkov, the only Russian selected in the first round of the 2021 NHL Entry Draft by
Predators has a total of 38.56 ice time in 10 games for SKA system. Despite a good performance at the pre-season tournament in Sochi
FAEaa-1XMAcFNrC

In the first 10 games of last season for Lada He has a total of 124.09 min.
VHL is the league where he would be projected to get regular ice-time and produce. He's got his KHL test, he is not ready yet and it is no big surprise. That's exactly as projected.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Is this a new thing?

They seem to have had no problem drafting plenty of guys from Europe in recent drafts.

Yes, the last few drafts. A lot of the old decision-makers are no longer with the club. The last few drafts has seen only 4 total Europeans, and no Russians.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: