C Cole Cassels (2013, 85th, VAN)

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Where do you think he would be drafted if the NHL was redone this year?

No doubt a 1st rounder, 20/30?

BigBen

Dec 5, 2014
I think the guy will be a perfect shutdown 3rd liner and he showed that this series by shutting down McJesus. But I still think you gotta look at his age and how a lot of guys in their last year have pretty good stats. The guy is definitely a keeper though, and the oilers could use a guy like this.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Good for Cassels. He's been excellent.

As a Canucks fan it's promising (and unusual) to see this type of performance when the majority of prospects have been a disappointment over the last 5 years.

But the hype train is going to pull in to Annoying Station pretty quickly if this keeps up...

Last edited by a moderator:

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Always said this kid was a beast. Developing very, very well.

'Nucks have a good one.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Very impressive series and overall OHL playoff run for him. Love how he raises his game like Bo did as well. I'm just hoping he continues his progression and makes it a tough decision for the coaching staff to start him in the AHL.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Good for Cassels. He's been excellent.

As a Canucks fan it's promising (and unusual) to see this type of performance when the majority of prospects have been a disappointment over the last 5 years.

But the hype train is going to pull in to Annoying Station pretty quickly if this keeps up...

Even when the Canucks had a solid prospect look real good, he seemed to get overshadowed by another prospect from another team.

While the hype train is running at full steam for Cassels right now, when was the last time a Canucks prospect got this treatment?

And personally as a Canucks fan after having to listen to Sportsnet go on and on and on about the Flames young players (18 YEAR OLD SAM BENNETT!!!) even when Bo Horvat was playing as good as them and outscoring them for most of the series (the Flames kids deserved the praise they got for how they played in game 6), I'll take Sportsnet and the hockey media hyping up Cole Cassels at a crazy pace. Specially when come next year there will be even more McDavid hype.

The fact Cassels got so much attention during this series and after the final buzzer tonight even though the McDavid story was there to tell just shows how good his played. Even if the hype is getting to a crazy level, he deserves it.

BASK IN THE CASSELS HYPE CANUCKS FANS, IT WON'T LAST LONG SO SOAK IT UP WHILE YOU CAN!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Even when the Canucks had a solid prospect look real good, he seemed to get overshadowed by another prospect from another team.

While the hype train is running at full steam for Cassels right now, when was the last time a Canucks prospect got this treatment?

And personally as a Canucks fan after having to listen to Sportsnet go on and on and on about the Flames young players (18 YEAR OLD SAM BENNETT!!!) even when Bo Horvat was playing as good as them and outscoring them for most of the series (the Flames kids deserved the praise they got for how they played in game 6), I'll take Sportsnet and the hockey media hyping up Cole Cassels at a crazy pace. Specially when come next year there will be even more McDavid hype.

The fact Cassels got so much attention during this series and after the final buzzer tonight even though the McDavid story was there to tell just shows how good his played. Even if the hype is getting to a crazy level, he deserves it.

BASK IN THE CASSELS HYPE CANUCKS FANS, IT WON'T LAST LONG SO SOAK IT UP WHILE YOU CAN!!!

Agreed. I'm happy and optimistic for the kid, and I agree Canucks fans should be pumped.

It's just a number of posters who are already a little too sugar-high from the kool-aid that I'm expecting to take it too far in the lead-up to training camp. Nothing unmanageable.

No worries—small price to pay to witness Cassels's success.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Lets not pretend it's only canucks fans hyping this. Sportsnet is going ALL out hyping him, he is all over twitter, from TSN, sportsnet, and a ton of junior PBP guys, and local media people.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Out of curiosity, who are the players you rank ahead of him? Just want to see who is behind him on a list where he ranks that high.

I am not an expert, i'm just curious. Especially after Button said he would be a top 10 Pick if he was in the draft this year.

Now I think button is a moron like many people do, but still is something.

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I am not an expert, i'm just curious. Especially after Button said he would be a top 10 Pick if he was in the draft this year.

Let's prentend he meant if Cassels was 18 this year, yes he would warrant a top 10 pick. Realistically I'd say if he was undrafted this year he might go in a very similar spot to Tanner Pearson in his double overage year (30th).

Anything after that was probably a good pick.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

With all due respect to Button he is a moron if he thinks that he would go top 10 in this draft. Keep in mind that he said that Schultz reminded him of Doughty :help:

IMO having watched a number of guys in this draft albeit not extensively I would have Cassels somewhere between 25-35 in this draft knowing what I know about him now, not what he did as a pre draft player. It is hard to compare him to guys 2 years younger because many of them could far surpass anything that he's done to date while others that many expected more from could end up crashing and burning. A better question would be where would he fit in a redraft of '13? He isn't an elite skater, doesn't have elite offensive abilities, isn't a physical beast, he is just straight up solid. A Jack of all trades and the kind of guy that you win with if he's in a checking role at the NHL level. That said until we see what he can do against AHLers and NHLers it's premature to say that he can cut the mustard in that role at that level especially since he won't have the same level of team in the NHL in the near future. Nonetheless Canucks fans should be happy with his development as would any teams fan. But top 10? Button is off his rocker with this one.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
With all due respect to Button he is a moron if he thinks that he would go top 10 in this draft. Keep in mind that he said that Schultz reminded him of Doughty :help:

IMO having watched a number of guys in this draft albeit not extensively I would have Cassels somewhere between 25-35 in this draft knowing what I know about him now, not what he did as a pre draft player. It is hard to compare him to guys 2 years younger because many of them could far surpass anything that he's done to date while others that many expected more from could end up crashing and burning. A better question would be where would he fit in a redraft of '13? He isn't an elite skater, doesn't have elite offensive abilities, isn't a physical beast, he is just straight up solid. A Jack of all trades and the kind of guy that you win with if he's in a checking role at the NHL level. That said until we see what he can do against AHLers and NHLers it's premature to say that he can cut the mustard in that role at that level especially since he won't have the same level of team in the NHL in the near future. Nonetheless Canucks fans should be happy with his development as would any teams fan. But top 10? Button is off his rocker with this one.

Hes saying if he put up those numbers in his draft year he would go top 10. Thats not a far stretch at all. Not if he was an overager.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Hes saying if he put up those numbers in his draft year he would go top 10. Thats not a far stretch at all. Not if he was an overager.

Still that's a ridiculous comment, to say if he was 2 years younger he would be top 10 this year, how many other guys look better 2 years after their draft year?

The fact of the at least 20 guys in this draft are going to look easily better than Cassels in 2 years years time as well.

Cassles is looking like a good prospect with a 3rd line type of role possibility in the NHL but seriously people need to get some perspective here.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Still that's a ridiculous comment, to say if he was 2 years younger he would be top 10 this year, how many other guys look better 2 years after their draft year?

The fact of the at least 20 guys in this draft are going to look easily better than Cassels in 2 years years time as well.

Cassles is looking like a good prospect with a 3rd line type of role possibility in the NHL but seriously people need to get some perspective here.

Presumably Cassels would also be even better 2 years after his draft year if it were this year? The logic isn't strong with this one.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
Where do you think he would be drafted if the NHL was redone this year?

No doubt a 1st rounder, 20/30?

Not a first rounder. Take a look at the 2013 draft, it was stacked. Cassels moves up for sure, probably to the early 2nd round.

Guys like Bjorkstrand, Duclair, Bertuzzi, Bowey, Petan, Hagg, Compher and De la Rose would also be big movers, likely pushing the weaker first rounders out above Cassels.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Presumably Cassels would also be even better 2 years after his draft year if it were this year? The logic isn't strong with this one.

You are missing the obvious here though and that's why Button's comment has such little meaning.

go back to his draft year and yes he has an argument of maybe going 20-30 in a redraft of that year 13 but everyone knows this year is a deeper and better draft.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
You are missing the obvious here though and that's why Button's comment has such little meaning.

go back to his draft year and yes he has an argument of maybe going 20-30 in a redraft of that year 13 but everyone knows this year is a deeper and better draft.

If we're talking a redraft for 2013 yes he may go from late 1st to early second.

If we're pretending Cassels was 17 this year as in Button's comment, he would be a top 5 pick without doubt, comparable to what Sam Reinhart was last year. Just look at how much he outclassed Dylan Strome.

Also this year is likely not going to be nearly as deep of a draft as 2013.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad