C Cole Cassels (2013, 85th, VAN)

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
he said Erie was the better team on paper

false

Oshawa was the best team in the OHL all year and perhaps the CHL

Erie were the favorites in this series, its a fact. Go read any predictions thread. After Erie won against SSM they had the world of hype behind them.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I guess Cassels, Max Domi, Darnell Nurse and Josh Morrisey are all busts because they weren't able to make their respective teams this year.

:amazed::amazed:

Where in his post did he say anything about busts? Any prospect who has a chance at making an impact at the NHL level should easily be able to dominate at the CHL level as a 20 year old.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It still doesnt mean he had 0 supporting cast, thats just insane, Mcdavid with Windsor doesnt beat ssm. Its fair to say his teammates were underperforming but its stupid to say he had NO supporting cast. How is that not fair to say.

His supporting cast sucked, does that make you feel better? Strome was very poor going back to the SSM series and guys like Debrincat and Baptiste had a hard time getting going in this series. The goaltending was awful and outside of Dermott there was no offensive support from the blueline. McDavid and Elie were the only guys that IMO played well most of this series.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
he said Erie was the better team on paper

false

Oshawa was the best team in the OHL all year and perhaps the CHL

Well I think his main point is simply that McDavid, Elie, Strome, and Baptise on paper are probably better than Dal Colle, Cassels, McCarron, and Lindberg.

Or something like that.

Edit: And I didn't even include DeBrincat, so I don't think saying McDavid didn't have talent to play with is accurate.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
a 20-year old dominating in juniors? shocking really

This is his 19 year old season. He literally just turned 20 two weeks ago.

Domi is also 20, but age didn't stop anyone from worshipping Domi at the World Juniors earlier in the year.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Erie were the favorites in this series, its a fact. Go read any predictions thread. After Erie won against SSM they had the world of hype behind them.

So what? Hype and odds don't make a team better. Oshawa has been regarded as the better team pretty well all season long.

Where in his post did he say anything about busts? Any prospect who has a chance at making an impact at the NHL level should easily be able to dominate at the CHL level as a 20 year old.

Yup, we heard the same thing about Nurse on our boards. He should be doing well at this point in his CHL career.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

Hype is simply hype. Anyone who watched the SSM Erie series realized that SSM should have won that series. They dominated much of the play despite many of their key players not showing up, including their awful goaltending. Erie should not have been anywhere close to the favourite vs Oshawa on paper, they completely relied on their high offence on their top 2 lines all year, which aside from McDavid didn't show up.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Well I think his main point is simply that McDavid, Elie, Strome, and Baptise on paper are probably better than Dal Colle, Cassels, McCarron, and Lindberg.

Or something like that.

Dal Colle was drafted 5th last year, Strome may get picked around there this year, but DC is older/more experienced. McCarron is a former 1st round pick something that Baptiste and Elie are not. McDavid is clearly the big dog of the list but again Oshawa had the better team and they proved that.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Dal Colle was drafted 5th last year, Strome may get picked around there this year, but DC is older/more experienced. McCarron is a former 1st round pick something that Baptiste and Elie are not. McDavid is clearly the big dog of the list but again Oshawa had the better team and they proved that.

Agree with everything in the bolded but I don't think it's fair to say that Oshawa's top 4-5 forwards are better than Erie's top 4-5 forwards.

Even if you take out the top forward from each team (McDavid and MDC), I still think it favours Erie.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Agree with everything in the bolded but I don't think it's fair to say that Oshawa's top 4-5 forwards are better than Erie's top 4-5 forwards.

Even if you take out the top forward from each team (McDavid and MDC), I still think it favours Erie.

Forwards are only 1/2 of the team on the ice each shift

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado

WHAT DO YOU THINK HE IS SAYING.

He is discounting a players achievements because he is 20.

Their is lots of 20 year olds who dominate the OHL but if cole cassels does it he is overrated.

Give me a break.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Forwards are only 1/2 of the team on the ice each shift

Thanks for the tip.

We're talking about scoring support after comments saying that McDavid didn't have the forwards to support him offensively.

Don't jump into the conversation unless you read it from the start.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
WHAT DO YOU THINK HE IS SAYING.

He is discounting a players achievements because he is 20.

Their is lots of 20 year olds who dominate the OHL but if cole cassels does it he is overrated.

Give me a break.

Not sure how Cassels is overrated. Grats on him and the generals on winning the cup anyhow. But hooray for McDavid.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

So you're saying any 20 year old worth his salt should be able to lead the finals in points while being tasked with shutting down s generational player?
And here I was starting to get excited.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Hype is simply hype. Anyone who watched the SSM Erie series realized that SSM should have won that series. They dominated much of the play despite many of their key players not showing up, including their awful goaltending. Erie should not have been anywhere close to the favourite vs Oshawa on paper, they completely relied on their high offence on their top 2 lines all year, which aside from McDavid didn't show up.

Okay so what are you trying to argue lol. All i said was Erie were the favorites before the series, you are just using hindsight bias to argue against that. Most the odds makers / media/ fans predicted Erie to win, thats what favorites are. It doesnt matter what is actually true.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Fair enough, that said IMO Oshawa had better depth everywhere and if they kept McDavid in check then the game was theirs. Had the teams switched goalies it may have been a closer series! :laugh:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
So you're saying any 20 year old worth his salt should be able to lead the finals in points while being tasked with shutting down s generational player?
And here I was starting to get excited.

You guys should be excited. He's been an excellent return on a 3rd round pick so far. It'll be interesting to see how he does in the AHL next season assuming that he doesn't start in YVR.

Shwaguy*

His supporting cast sucked, does that make you feel better? Strome was very poor going back to the SSM series and guys like Debrincat and Baptiste had a hard time getting going in this series. The goaltending was awful and outside of Dermott there was no offensive support from the blueline. McDavid and Elie were the only guys that IMO played well most of this series.

Maybe his supporting cast is good. They just got outplayed? His teammates are talented. This is no LeBron James on the Cavaliers in the 2000s situation

Patchey*

You guys should be excited. He's been an excellent return on a 3rd round pick so far. It'll be interesting to see how he does in the AHL next season assuming that he doesn't start in YVR.

Why would Cassels be playing hockey in an Airport? :sarcasm:

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
I really don't care about all this hes dominant BS because he is 19 or whatever. People are just pissed cause Cassels was able to shutdown the next generational player in the NHL. I am glad we have a chippy player that gets under other players skin and I hope he can bring that at the NHL level. He will probably be tested in the AHL though an build up there. He will fit in for sure with the Canucks. I think the Canucks are going to be a gritty team with size that has skill and not all-star flashy, kind of like LA and Boston mixed up.

EDIT:

His highest ceiling will be a border line 2C. But I see him a 3C shutdown like Bolland.

Last edited:

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Cole Cassels really came into his own during the season and then took another step in the playoffs. His play leading up to the finals showed he had a ton of potential but his play in the finals against McDavid cements his status as a top prospect to watch. Yah he is 2 years or so older than McDavid but he was a 3rd round pick that went head to head against a generational talent and held his own! There is some discussion in this thread about wether or not he deserved the MVP award but I am sure that given the choice, he got the trophy that he wanted more and got to celebrate it with his teammates.

Amazing playoffs Cole! Go get another trophy or two in the next round!

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
He's just one of the smartest players I've ever seen and obviously has a big heart. Good luck to him at the Mem Cup!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad