C Cole Cassels (2013, 85th, VAN)

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Cassells is such a good NHL prospect.. another good player in your guys prospect pool. You guys sure are building an impressive group

arsmaster*

He's been pretty pedestrian thus far.

He was exceptional in the OHL final but hasn't brought that same level yet.

Cole Cassels is getting a lot of love from the Canucks fans in here, but pedestrian is a bit strong. He isn't a flashy player. In games against guys like Duclair and Tkachev he'll never stand out skill wise. He's just an extremely efficient smart hockey player who generates offense out of systems play and smart movement, not slick stickhandling or speed (which he lacks considerably).

I think the reason he doesn't look as good as in the OHL finals, is he hasn't had a dominant line that he needed to shutdown.

I'm interested to see how he matches up with Draisatl and the Rockets, although that's the final I'm hoping to see so hopefully they rest Cole and Kelowna can find a way through to the final.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
3 assists in two games. One leading to a game winner.

I see edmonton fans with the mcdavid avatars will be frequently chiming in to downplay his contribution during the memorial cup (if he can still play after blocking that shot. Might hurt more in the morning).

Lets not get carried away. I am more than impressed with Cassels since we drafted him but McDavid was hounded by the entire Oshawa team, not just Cole. Not only that he had no other players on other lines (cough Strome cough) who could take pressure off the enormous checking . And finally Mc David is 18 and Cassels 20 and that is a huge difference at that period in their development.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
His speed is a big question mark. He really need to do the Bo regiment. It scares me a little. If he can't improve it at all then I don't see him being more then a 4th line centre but if he can improve and it becomes league average then he's got top 6 potential. Huge wildcard imo.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Lets not get carried away. I am more than impressed with Cassels since we drafted him but McDavid was hounded by the entire Oshawa team, not just Cole. Not only that he had no other players on other lines (cough Strome cough) who could take pressure off the enormous checking . And finally Mc David is 18 and Cassels 20 and that is a huge difference at that period in their development.

I think you missed my point as i was in no way making a comparison.

Oilers fans should not even care what cassels is doing, i live in alberta and know several edmonton fans and that board took the cassels vs mcdavid talk in the ohl finals very personal. They have mcdavid....one is a generational talent and one is a 3rd round pick we are simply happy to see finding some success.

Last edited:

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Cole Cassels is getting a lot of love from the Canucks fans in here, but pedestrian is a bit strong. He isn't a flashy player. In games against guys like Duclair and Tkachev he'll never stand out skill wise. He's just an extremely efficient smart hockey player who generates offense out of systems play and smart movement, not slick stickhandling or speed (which he lacks considerably).

I think the reason he doesn't look as good as in the OHL finals, is he hasn't had a dominant line that he needed to shutdown.

I'm interested to see how he matches up with Draisatl and the Rockets, although that's the final I'm hoping to see so hopefully they rest Cole and Kelowna can find a way through to the final.

Agreed. He was so damn good against McDavid it almost seems like he thrived with that challenge. Now he's blending in with the team a bit more.

I will be very interested in seeing him vs Draisaitl tomorrow as well.

Also, pedestrian isn't really negative or positive. I've felt, so far, that he hasn't stood out. Which is both good and bad.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
If this guy gets the Horvat skating treatment, His potential is limitless. Just a big game player.

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
If this guy gets the Horvat skating treatment, His potential is limitless. Just a big game player.

With praise like this, I'm just curious where you have him on a list of the top NHL prospects....top 3? Top 5 at the lowest from the sound of it. I mean really, limitless potential!

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
With praise like this, I'm just curious where you have him on a list of the top NHL prospects....top 3? Top 5 at the lowest from the sound of it. I mean really, limitless potential!

I have him as a 1st rounder this year at around 25/30 pick (in 2015) prob a top 15 pick in (2013)

Last edited:

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
he is an extremely impressive prospect. Very noticeable in the Memorial Cup. Nucks have a good one here... Been my favorite complete player of the tourney so far

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
How can you use the word 'limitless' on someone and then rank him that low? The 25-30 that go before him must all be generational!

To be fair, it appears to be a very deep draft. If it turns out like 2003 (big if) getting the 23rd best player would net you an amazing talent.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
I thought that was a phenomenal game defensively for Cole, really showed what all the talk of a being a shutdown player was about. Kelowna must have wished he played for them because they kept passing him the puck.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Players like Cole are just late bloomers, he didnt get top minutes until last year. He was an all tools 3rd line type of player when he was drafted and was used like that. Unlike a player like Gaunce who was the go-to guy for his team all throughout junior and was expected to produce offensively he didnt improve much. Each year could be a different year for Cassels if he continues to improve.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad