C Cole Cassels (2013, 85th, VAN)

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Really how many Canuck drafts looked this promising the following season at this point?

Maybe 1 or 2 over their entire history perhaps?

Sure it's early but the progress looks good at this point doesn't it?

For sure it looks great ... at the moment. But this "moment" is still a long ways away from a productive NHL career, and many prospects can look great in junior and not translate that to the AHL, let alone NHL. I'm by no means down on this draft, I just see it as too early to say it has "saved Gillis' job" or anything like that.

As for other drafts looking great, ya there's been several.

2009 - Besides Jordan Schroeder, Anton Rodin looked great at the WJC's and many Canuck fans were convinced we had a steal on our hands. Kevin Connauton put up over a PPG in his first season in the WHL and again things were looking great. 4 years later and neither player is looking likely to play at the NHL level.

2006 - Besides Michael Grabner, Sergei Shirokov was looking good in the pre-KHL and eventually looked great at the AHL and had a cup of coffee in the NHL, but ultimately fizzled. Juraj Simek was about PPG with Brandon and made the jump to the AHL before stalling out there.

Other prospects who've dazzled right after being drafted and gotten fans excited include Fedor Fedorov, Brandon Reid, Jason King, Rene Vdareny.

The other thing to factor in with the 2013 draft is that we gave up a starting NHL goalie in order to add Horvat as a prospect, so the fact that he looks great this year - and I am most excited about him out of all our prospects - should be viewed in the context of a trade as well. Shinkaruk also looked great in camp and he likely will play at the NHL level, but I think lots of players taken in the late-teens and early 20's also look great so far too (Poirier, Theodore, Burkowsky, Klimchuk). Cassels has been a huge surprise and, even with his numbers likely being inflated by playing PP time with Laughton and Dal Colle, he's still looking like a great pick. Subban I still don't have a great feeling about, given his size and some inconsistencies this season. All others are still a longshot I think.

Anyway, I'm sure some posters will ignore most of what I've said and flame that I'm being a Debbie-Downer, but whatever, I've learned you can't say anything against the rah-rah crowd around here and not get crapped on ...

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
For sure it looks great ... at the moment. But this "moment" is still a long ways away from a productive NHL career, and many prospects can look great in junior and not translate that to the AHL, let alone NHL. I'm by no means down on this draft, I just see it as too early to say it has "saved Gillis' job" or anything like that.

As for other drafts looking great, ya there's been several.

2009 - Besides Jordan Schroeder, Anton Rodin looked great at the WJC's and many Canuck fans were convinced we had a steal on our hands. Kevin Connauton put up over a PPG in his first season in the WHL and again things were looking great. 4 years later and neither player is looking likely to play at the NHL level.

2006 - Besides Michael Grabner, Sergei Shirokov was looking good in the pre-KHL and eventually looked great at the AHL and had a cup of coffee in the NHL, but ultimately fizzled. Juraj Simek was about PPG with Brandon and made the jump to the AHL before stalling out there.

Other prospects who've dazzled right after being drafted and gotten fans excited include Fedor Fedorov, Brandon Reid, Jason King, Rene Vdareny.

The other thing to factor in with the 2013 draft is that we gave up a starting NHL goalie in order to add Horvat as a prospect, so the fact that he looks great this year - and I am most excited about him out of all our prospects - should be viewed in the context of a trade as well. Shinkaruk also looked great in camp and he likely will play at the NHL level, but I think lots of players taken in the late-teens and early 20's also look great so far too (Poirier, Theodore, Burkowsky, Klimchuk). Cassels has been a huge surprise and, even with his numbers likely being inflated by playing PP time with Laughton and Dal Colle, he's still looking like a great pick. Subban I still don't have a great feeling about, given his size and some inconsistencies this season. All others are still a longshot I think.

Anyway, I'm sure some posters will ignore most of what I've said and flame that I'm being a Debbie-Downer, but whatever, I've learned you can't say anything against the rah-rah crowd around here and not get crapped on ...

I agree with being cautiously optimistic. But why do we assume that Cassels numbers are being inflated by playing on the powerplay with Laughton and Dal Colle. Maybe Cassels is inflating their numbers. He's a great passer and has earned the powerplay time on a deep team. It also should be noted that he doesn't play with Laughton at even strength and is still putting up great numbers!

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
I agree with being cautiously optimistic. But why do we assume that Cassels numbers are being inflated by playing on the powerplay with Laughton and Dal Colle. Maybe Cassels is inflating their numbers. He's a great passer and has earned the powerplay time on a deep team. It also should be noted that he doesn't play with Laughton at even strength and is still putting up great numbers!

Cole puts up his points by making the right decisions. If Laughton was still in the NHL then cassels would be around a point per game. Dal colle has elite vision as well, which has helped cassels numbers. He's a good player but most of his offense has came from playing with both, he also plays some regular shifts with Laughton. Others with dal colle, dj smith doesn't really keep set lines all the time.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Cole puts up his points by making the right decisions. If Laughton was still in the NHL then cassels would be around a point per game. Dal colle has elite vision as well, which has helped cassels numbers. He's a good player but most of his offense has came from playing with both, he also plays some regular shifts with Laughton. Others with dal colle, dj smith doesn't really keep set lines all the time.

Thanks!
I appreciate the insight.
Most Canuck fans were really impressed with Cassels during the pre-season.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

I'm sure Cassels is a part of Laughton and Dal Colle's success, just like Burrows is with the Sedins. But you can usually tell who benefits from who by looking at how their scoring is spread around. From what i've seen in the game summaries, Cassels gets most of his goals on the PP with Laughton (8 of 12) while Laughton actually scores very few of his goals on the PP (3 of 14). This *suggests* that Cassels benefits (offensively) considerably from playing PP with Laughton while Laughton is just as adept at scoring without Cassels as he is with him.

Now I'll admit I don't watch Oshawa play, so if an Oshawa fan were to come in and make a case that Cassels drives the play as much or more than Laughton, then I'll be all ears, but it doesn't appear to be the case to me.

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
Thanks!
I appreciate the insight.
Most Canuck fans were really impressed with Cassels during the pre-season.

He's a good player , I had him rated mid to late second, he posses his fathers smarts so I wouldn't be surprised if he made a strong impact in the NHL

Bunter McVirtanen

Oct 23, 2008
Vernon, BC
Ten games into the season, he has 4-14-18 and +13 rating. He is 4th in OHL scoring. He is currently at a 1.8 PPG pace, which is ahead of teammate Dal Colle who was drafted top 5 in this past draft.

Can anyone tell me how Cassels is looking in his games? His stats are obviously very impressive but how is his overall game?

Thanks!

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
"He’s arguably the best two-way centre in our league"

I really wonder where he would go if the draft was coming up.

I think a late 1st would definitely be where he would be targeted now.

http://www.durhamregion.com/sports-...g-a-name-for-himself-with-the-oshawa-generals

“He’s arguably the best two-way centre in our league,” says Smith. “He’ll hit you, he’ll fight you, he’ll score, he’ll block shots, he’s a nasty competitor. I’ve always thought he was a very good player, but he’s been through and through our best player every night.”

Drafted 16th overall by the Generals in 2011, Cassels came into the league known most as the son of former NHLer Andrew Cassels, but he has slowly made a name for himself. A similar playmaker to his father, although not as prolific a scorer, the younger Cassels has an added element of toughness.

“I think we have some similar traits, playmaking and seeing the ice,” Cassels said Sunday, after setting up a pair in a 4-2 win over the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds. “I think he was more skilled and I have more grit, but he was a great player.”

Last edited:

blendini

Jul 15, 2012
As of yesterday...

@TysonGiuriato:
#Canucks prospect Cole Cassels with two goals for Oshawa tonight. Now has 24 points (6-18-24) in 13 games.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
As of yesterday...

@TysonGiuriato:
#Canucks prospect Cole Cassels with two goals for Oshawa tonight. Now has 24 points (6-18-24) in 13 games.

Would like to hear from someone who watches regularly if the point totals are on par with his actual play. But wow he's developing really well and I like that he plays with an edge to boot!

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
Currently 4th in OHL scoring. So far, it seems like he is a textbook draft riser. From 43 points in draft year, to 73 in draft+1, to now 26 points in 14 games.

We will see if this will keep its' course or if it is just a lucky hot streak. Time will tell.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Currently 4th in OHL scoring. So far, it seems like he is a textbook draft riser. From 43 points in draft year, to 73 in draft+1, to now 26 points in 14 games.

We will see if this will keep its' course or if it is just a lucky hot streak. Time will tell.

I don't think it's either one.

I think he's probably just hit his stride early. He'll level off a bit, but won't see anything drastic either way IMO

MISC*

Any update on him?

Edit: 22 GP 39 P.

Looks like he's doing well so far.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Had a pretty questionable hit on someone in last nights game if I'm not mistaken. 5 and game, plus supplemental discipline is likely.
Still racking up the points though.

MISC*

Had a pretty questionable hit on someone in last nights game if I'm not mistaken. 5 and game, plus supplemental discipline is likely.
Still racking up the points though.

I don't mind some dirty play.

donut

Sep 5, 2012
Any chance he gets a look for Team Canada? He's been absolute dynamite this season.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
His production has been awesome, but it always seems like there is tempered hype with this kid. Is there top 6 upside with this player or does he have bottom 6 C written all over him? I don't watch him enough to be able to answer that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad