C Cole Cassels (2013, 85th, VAN)

ohnoeszz

May 5, 2010
His production has been awesome, but it always seems like there is tempered hype with this kid. Is there top 6 upside with this player or does he have bottom 6 C written all over him? I don't watch him enough to be able to answer that.

He's one of my favorite Canucks prospects. I think he's a guy that plays a very pro-ready game - constantly anticipating the next play on both sides of the puck. My biggest question about him is what opportunity he gets? I think he'd thrive on any line playing any position, top or bottom 6, but I could see him stuck playing as a role player for some time before getting a shot as a point-producer.

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
His production has been awesome, but it always seems like there is tempered hype with this kid. Is there top 6 upside with this player or does he have bottom 6 C written all over him? I don't watch him enough to be able to answer that.

He has significantly elevated his stock each year since being drafted. Which is obviously what you hope to see after drafting a player, if he can continue his course of development for a couple more seasons he definitely should be in that conversation.

If he can to the Utica next year and elevate his game once again, I see no reason he can develop into a strong top 9 player.

flamebird

Jul 28, 2007
Currently I'd say he translates to a 2-3C tweener, being a premier 3C as it stands right now. He's has potential to carve out a decent 2C career given the perfect situation.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I really wonder where he would be drafted if the draft was today. Turning out to be a hell of a player

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
I really wonder where he would be drafted if the draft was today. Turning out to be a hell of a player

1st star of the game for Game 1 of the OHL finals. 2 assists and +2 to finish the night.

I think whats great about the kid is that there has been constant improvements and that he steps up. When the games get tight, he steps up and matches it, and more often than not succeeds. Bodes well for him as of now. Great for a 3rd round pick.

Hope to see him in Utica next year.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Deepest third round ever. Cassels Duclair Buschnevich and Bjorkstrand could all be first rounders in a re draft.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Wow Cassels isn't the greatest skater but he is getting under McDavids skin.

1 point in 2 games is no small feat considering how incredible McDavid is.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Wow Cassels isn't the greatest skater but he is getting under McDavids skin.

1 point in 2 games is no small feat considering how incredible McDavid is.

And Cassels has 1g 2a in 2 games so far.

Shwaguy*

Cassel and Josh Brown together are putting in Work on McDavid.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
As if getting drafted by the Oilers isn't going to be bad enough for McDavid (I mostly kid Oilers fans..).....he has going up against Cassels in the same division to look forward to! Games between the Canucks and Oilers are going to be fun to watch again!

Index

Fillmore, I'm on it!
Mar 24, 2013
As if getting drafted by the Oilers isn't going to be bad enough for McDavid (I mostly kid Oilers fans..).....he has going up against Cassels in the same division to look forward to! Games between the Canucks and Oilers are going to be fun to watch again!

I think it would be Horvat to shut down McDavid

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
Good thing McDavid will be playing with guys like Hall, Yakupov, Eberle, Hopkins, etc instead of the no depth Otters. He might not get that stiffened..

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
Good thing McDavid will be playing with guys like Hall, Yakupov, Eberle, Hopkins, etc instead of the no depth Otters. He might not get that stiffened..

McDavid actually has pretty good line mates. He regularly plays with DeBrincat, Elie, and Strome.

Anyhow... While I love the accolades that Cassels is picking up this series, its really been a team effort in shutting down McDavid. Brown and Mermis have played a massive role as well.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Wow craig button with massive praise for cole.

He said that if cassels was in the draft this year, he would be a top 10 pick.

He is turning heads with his play this year, and has some of the highest hockey IQ he has seen in a prospect in quite some time.

Index

Fillmore, I'm on it!
Mar 24, 2013

He is turning heads with his play this year, and has some of the highest hockey IQ he has seen in a prospect in quite some time.

Yea it's not a question hes been amazing, I think hes our best prospect.

DennisReynolds

the implication
Dec 11, 2011

I really hope this is not another mispick, So many rankings coming out (yes from idiots like button) but still don't even have virtanen anywhere in the top 30-50.

Yet guys like Nylander, Ehlers are all easily in the top 10.

Button is more off then on, I take what he says with a grain of salt.

Why do you suddenly care what Button says?

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Yea it's not a question hes been amazing, I think hes our best prospect.

Our best prospect? :huh:

I'd consider guys like Demko, Corrado, McCann, Virtanen, Baertschi, Shinkaruk, Hutton all better prospects than Cassels.

To each their own I guess.

Index

Fillmore, I'm on it!
Mar 24, 2013
Our best prospect? :huh:

I'd consider guys like Demko, Corrado, McCann, Virtanen, Baertschi, Shinkaruk, Hutton all better prospects than Cassels.

To each their own I guess.

Maybe Demko, but I'd like to see him play more.

As for Cassels, you have to see him play, he's done a great job shutting down the opponents 1C in the second half of the season, all while putting up points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->