C Cole Cassels (2013, 85th, VAN)

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Cole Cassels is definitely a rising prospect. An all around great player. I would love to see him a pairing of Cassels and Vail for the US at the WJC. Both players can play defense and can contribute offensively as well.

Great start to the year for Cassels who should have gone a bit higher in the draft last year IMO.

Is there actually a chance he could compete for a spot on the team? :amazed:

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
What's cassels chance at making the WJC roster?

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Isn't he American? Not saying that means he is a sure bet but it gives him slightly more of a chance
I've been under the impression (the past few years anyway) that the USA WJC coaches are reticent to take any CHL players for the team unless the guy is a total stud like Seth Jones, but maybe that perception has changed.

Lord Flacko*

I've been under the impression (the past few years anyway) that the USA WJC coaches are reticent to take any CHL players for the team unless the guy is a total stud like Seth Jones, but maybe that perception has changed.

That's a damn shame

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

Your perception is wrong. The only 'bias' shown is towards USNTDP alums. There has been a healthy representation of CHL players for quite sometime and this year won't be any different.

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
Amazing. Anyone watching the game wanna fill me in? How much does his early success have to do with having Dal Colle and Laughton for line mates?

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Elliott Pap ‏@ElliottPap 48s

Nux prospect Cole Cassels has four goals (3 on PP) for Oshawa thru 2 periods tonight as his Generals lead Ottawa 6-0. #canucks

holy ****

lawrence

May 19, 2012
whois better at the same age? Nicklas Jensen or Cassels? I see he has 4 goals tonight, which is lol, but any input?

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
I love his development, definitely looking like a steal and I admit I was hoping for the Canucks to take local boy Houck from the giants to be a 3rd line energy guy in the future.

very pleasant surprise in a draft where Gillis probably saved his job.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I love his development, definitely looking like a steal and I admit I was hoping for the Canucks to take local boy Houck from the giants to be a 3rd line energy guy in the future.

A little early to say that, but Horvat/Shinkaruk/Cassels looks very promising for sure.

Lord Flacko*

A little early to say that, but Horvat/Shinkaruk/Cassels looks very promising for sure.

Don't forget get Subban. The only d-men in the OHL that are younger than him and have more points than him are DeAngelo and Ekblad.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com

Just a bit of a hyperbolic statement there... If the early look of a draft is what "saves" a GM's job then the evaluation process needs to be changed.

That being said, yes the VERY EARLY look of the 2013 draft is quite good. Horvat, Shinkaruk, Cassels, Subban, Cederholm (Do not over look this guy) all look to have a exciting aspects to their games.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Just a bit of a hyperbolic statement there... If the early look of a draft is what "saves" a GM's job then the evaluation process needs to be changed.

That being said, yes the VERY EARLY look of the 2013 draft is quite good. Horvat, Shinkaruk, Cassels, Subban, Cederholm (Do not over look this guy) all look to have a exciting aspects to their games.

I agree with all this. It is silly to rate the 'success' of a draft after 10-20 games into the next season, esp. when all of them are playing at the junior level. Yes, Shinkaruk is putting up points, but he was last year as well. Horvat definitely looks good even though he is still playing the more defensive minutes behind the Domi line. Cassels is certainly the biggest surprise given the huge increase in his offensive numbers, however a lot of that is still a function of higher line placement and impact of elite linemates (Laughton, Dal Colle). Still very happy with his progression, but let's not pretend that any of these kids are doing anything at the NHL level which should be the litmus test by which a draft is determined to be 'good' or 'bad'. Certainly looks good so far, but I've seen other drafts that looked good after a few months as well ...

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
I agree with all this. It is silly to rate the 'success' of a draft after 10-20 games into the next season, esp. when all of them are playing at the junior level. Yes, Shinkaruk is putting up points, but he was last year as well. Horvat definitely looks good even though he is still playing the more defensive minutes behind the Domi line. Cassels is certainly the biggest surprise given the huge increase in his offensive numbers, however a lot of that is still a function of higher line placement and impact of elite linemates (Laughton, Dal Colle). Still very happy with his progression, but let's not pretend that any of these kids are doing anything at the NHL level which should be the litmus test by which a draft is determined to be 'good' or 'bad'. Certainly looks good so far, but I've seen other drafts that looked good after a few months as well ...

As far as I know Laughton isn't on Cassel's ES line, just the PP.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
surprised andrew cassels' son is so rugged. looking forward to seeing him join the comets sooner rather than later.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
As far as I know Laughton isn't on Cassel's ES line, just the PP.

I don't follow the Generals closely, but I usually check the game sheets after most games and am pretty sure you see Laughton's name next to a lot of Cassels goals and assists. They may not play on the same line, but Cassels is racking up a lot of his points on that powerplay, in fact 8 of 12 goals (67%) are PP goals and I would guess a similar number of his assists are PP as well. I'm not trying to run the guy down, but I want to be realistic about what his numbers mean, namely that I see him as a guy who has above-average skills that is putting up way-above average numbers, in part due to some very skilled linemates (whether PP or even-strength). Certainly nothing wrong with that, but I don't expect him to be a guy who drives offense on his line at the NHL level, but rather a useful all-around player (physical, gritty, responsible defensively) who can also chip in some offense and make some smart plays. Maybe an Alex Burrows 'type' who, if he gets to play with players like the Sedins, can put up numbers exceeding his talent. Certainly I'd be thrilled if he could do that, and not disappointed if he maxed out on our 3rd line either. Still great value for a 3rd round pick.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver

Really how many Canuck drafts looked this promising the following season at this point?

Maybe 1 or 2 over their entire history perhaps?

Sure it's early but the progress looks good at this point doesn't it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad