C Alex Turcotte - USNTDP, USHL (2019, 5th, LAK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Definitely a bright future. What are the Kings planning on doing in goal moving forward? Is Parik the guy? Quick? Petersen?

Petersen's only 25, same age as Ilya Sorokin for reference. But the Kings have Villalta, Ingham, Parik, and Markkanen who are all relatively promising as well. Quick's still here too!

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
For me, he’s a tough guy to evaluate. I don’t think you see him in the NHL for two years. I wasn’t blown away by him last year but he was just a freshman. I think this year it’ll be a lot easier to evaluate that offensive upside. Right now I see him as a #2-3 center. But that could change.

I can't agree with that.

It's AHL with a cup of coffee in the big show this year. I think anything less than NHL after that has to been as a failure (or injury).

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
For me, he’s a tough guy to evaluate. I don’t think you see him in the NHL for two years. I wasn’t blown away by him last year but he was just a freshman. I think this year it’ll be a lot easier to evaluate that offensive upside. Right now I see him as a #2-3 center. But that could change.
Two years ?
If that’s the case, he is close to being a bust.

Turcotte is a player that could play on the 3rd/4th line as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghetty Green

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Two years ?
If that’s the case, he is close to being a bust.

Turcotte is a player that could play on the 3rd/4th line as well.
He’ll only be 21 in two years. I think the best move for his development would’ve been another year in college and a year in the minors. He didn’t dominate college by any means. I thought he still had a lot more work to do.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Calling him a bust because he didnt make the NHL at 20 in this hypothetical scenario? Man this place doesn't understand how prospects work
I think you dont know in this case.

5th overall pick, two way player, who will play in the AHL. Team that drafted him, LA. When he hasnt hit the NHL in those two years, something is wrong.

He’ll only be 21 in two years. I think the best move for his development would’ve been another year in college and a year in the minors. He didn’t dominate college by any means. I thought he still had a lot more work to do.
What freshman dominates college unless you are an Eichel. Thats a odd argument to use against him.

Problem I see here is that you both dont know he left college.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I think you dont know in this case.

5th overall pick, two way player, who will play in the AHL. Team that drafted him, LA. When he hasnt hit the NHL in those two years, something is wrong.
Where someone is drafted is meaningless. Spending two years in the AHL doesn't make you a bust :laugh:

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Where someone is drafted is meaningless. Spending two years in the AHL doesn't make you a bust :laugh:
Hahaha

What an entertainment....

Again, I quoted someone who said he most likely wont see the NHL within two years. Could be but I already explained why that is worrysome and said, close to being a bust. Dont try to twist things.

If you cant look at the big picture and are entertained so easily, than that is your problem.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Almost no player has a "floor" of a good second line C...

His floor is a 4th line C. His defensive skill will keep him in the NHL but hes FAR from a sure fire #2C at minimum

I'm going to have to disagree. I think one of the best and highest floor prospects in any recent draft has a floor of a good second line center.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Well, the Kings seem to disagree and have him turning pro now instead, probably to keep a hand on his development and get him 1C minutes in the pro game instead of whatever shitshow Wisco had going on last year, as well as reuniting him with Wroblewski as a coach. Odds are he's full time AHL this year with some games on the big squad, and I can't imagine a world in which he doesn't make the full jump next year unless there's an injury or he just isn't cutting it which would be worrying. The Kings have the luxury of insulating him on the NHL team with Kopitar and any combination of Carter/Kempe/Vilardi/Byfield and others--whoever sticks around/sticks--but that would also be the major reason they don't want him on the NHL team today, probably not great for him to be getting lesser minutes. Better to get big important all situation minutes and a pro schedule vs. men this year while learning the Kings' system as well as development right next door instead of across the country.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Calling him a bust because he didnt make the NHL at 20 in this hypothetical scenario? Man this place doesn't understand how prospects work

The only top-5 picks in the last decade to not be in the NHL at D+3 is Olli Juolevi and Griffin Reinhart so yes, it would be troublesome if he wasn't starting to get some NHL games by age 21, which is also the age most prospects outside that range break through.

But you already knew that, right? That's the only explanation for your condescension, other than you getting the math wrong.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Turcotte doesn’t have the Richards heat seeker quality but has better speed and skill. Thing the point totals are going to be comparable.

I wouldn’t blink twice if the kid spends the whole year in the AHL. He has missed time over the last few with injuries and will be surrounded by a ton of young skilled teammates. We will get a better sense of if he is a center or a winger. The kid could also use 10 extra pounds before hitting the Kings. In no way do I see this a Bust rather I see the Kings as bringing along a player in a timely matter that will help him succeed when he hits the NHL ice. If things go well hopefully a end of season call up.

I love the speed we have drafted lately. Love all the center depth. Even if Turcotte and Kupari end up in the wings we really could use that speed and skill at the NHL level.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Love Turcott, think he has the potential to become one of the best 2Cs in hockey one day. However, I think LA rushed him. He did not dominate college hockey and quite frankly was mediocre his first year. Hope this doesn’t hurt his overall offensive potential.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Love Turcott, think he has the potential to become one of the best 2Cs in hockey one day. However, I think LA rushed him. He did not dominate college hockey and quite frankly was mediocre his first year. Hope this doesn’t hurt his overall offensive potential.

Wisconsin is rotten. It’s not rushing him to have him play in a better environment. You can’t request a trade in college hockey.

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
As Pavel Buchnevich wrote Wisconsin was a @#$% show last yr. It is good that they get Turcotte away from there.

When healthy he was great. People tend to ignore that he had a ~10 game stretch with no points where he was injured and sick. Yanetti said it best when he said as a whole the season wasn't mind blowing yet they liked what they saw. If broken down into quarters he was arguably one of the single best players in NCAA in 2 of the the 4 quarters, ok/solid in 1 quarter, and dealing with health issues during the bad 1 quarter. When healthy he produced over a PPG.

It is much better for his development and LA to have him under closer supervision and growing with the plethora of top prospects we have playing with him in the AHL or EU right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad