C Alex Turcotte - USNTDP, USHL (2019, 5th, LAK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
The only top-5 picks in the last decade to not be in the NHL at D+3 is Olli Juolevi and Griffin Reinhart so yes, it would be troublesome if he wasn't starting to get some NHL games by age 21, which is also the age most prospects outside that range break through.

But you already knew that, right? That's the only explanation for your condescension, other than you getting the math wrong.

You got to wonder how much of that is down to pressure playing those players early and how much is down to actual "readiness".

I don't know the answer to that. Certainly worrying if he isn't playing in the NHL by then, but I am not convinced it would make him a bust by then. Might just be a question of some "hyperbole" language anyway - and not a real disagreement.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
You got to wonder how much of that is down to pressure playing those players early and how much is down to actual "readiness".

I don't know the answer to that. Certainly worrying if he isn't playing in the NHL by then, but I am not convinced it would make him a bust by then. Might just be a question of some "hyperbole" language anyway - and not a real disagreement.

Yeah I don't really disagree with that. I don't think it's a hard and fast rule by any means but imho anyone with top-5 ability who hasn't broken in to some degree at age-21 probably has extenuating circumstances like injury, especially as you point out given opportunity. But at age 18-20, I think it's way too early to close the book, especially on physical development, and especially as kids bounce from league to league from amateur to pro learning the game. But I definitely realize there's a little chicken-and-egg in there for top picks.

Reactions: Finster8

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Does anybody have a good breakdown of what the issue was in Wisconsin? I’ve heard a bunch that it was mess, but haven’t heard specific details

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
There were a few people on the HFBoards stating it was very unstructured hockey. I don't know if there were any other problems besides that.

Yeah I could see that being an issue. I like the signing of Turcotte. The AHL will give him a higher level of competition and he can start to build chemistry and relationships with his future team mates. Gets him used to the busy schedule and travel as well so I don’t really see a downside. I know College gives players more time to bulk up, but with the shutdown he’s had the last seven months to do so

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
Turcotte doesn’t have the Richards heat seeker quality but has better speed and skill. Thing the point totals are going to be comparable.

I wouldn’t blink twice if the kid spends the whole year in the AHL. He has missed time over the last few with injuries and will be surrounded by a ton of young skilled teammates. We will get a better sense of if he is a center or a winger. The kid could also use 10 extra pounds before hitting the Kings. In no way do I see this a Bust rather I see the Kings as bringing along a player in a timely matter that will help him succeed when he hits the NHL ice. If things go well hopefully a end of season call up.

I love the speed we have drafted lately. Love all the center depth. Even if Turcotte and Kupari end up in the wings we really could use that speed and skill at the NHL level.
Has he been injured the last 3 years. He doesn't seem to have played a full schedule of games.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
The injuries/illnesses aren't recurring type.

I won't worry too much if it takes an extra year for him to make the NHL. This year is very unusual due to COVID.

Development isn't linear for any player. Add in a global obstacle like a pandemic, and you can't really be worried for a player who needs time adjusting to professional hockey.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I think the injuries are recurring, although the type of injuries may not be recurring. There are some players who play a style of play that constantly causes them to be injured. It doesn't mean they'll always miss games, but some styles of play are more conducive to injuries. Then there are some guys who have absolutely minimum physical contact during a hockey game, and are able to avoid injuries almost entirely. Turcotte fits into the former category. I don't see how he's going to be able to avoid injuries. He plays a very reckless style forechecking, defending, and getting to the dirty areas with the puck thats going to cause some injuries.

The illnesses are not recurring, in my opinion. He had Mono his draft season, and then he had a bad case of the flu last season.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I think the injuries are recurring, although the type of injuries may not be recurring. There are some players who play a style of play that constantly causes them to be injured. It doesn't mean they'll always miss games, but some styles of play are more conducive to injuries. Then there are some guys who have absolutely minimum physical contact during a hockey game, and are able to avoid injuries almost entirely. Turcotte fits into the former category. I don't see how he's going to be able to avoid injuries. He plays a very reckless style forechecking, defending, and getting to the dirty areas with the puck thats going to cause some injuries.

The illnesses are not recurring, in my opinion. He had Mono his draft season, and then he had a bad case of the flu last season.

Sure, but what I mean is he's not getting injured in the same way, like having a bad hip, concussion issues, etc.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The past two years. He’s often injured, so he misses games and probably plays in some games he shouldn’t, but when he’s fit there’s no better player from that 2019 draft class.

Don't remember if it was in this thread anymore but even our scouting/development pointed out the nuance in his season, they loved the 1/3, wanted more the 2nd but he was hurt/ill/recovering, was good to finish.

The bottom line is that most of his criticism comes from a literal 10 game stretch in the middle of the season when Turcotte was injured/sick. It's like going hard on a guy because he had a bad WJC. Outside of those games, Turcotte was 9-16-25 in 19 games.

I agree that he's doomed to be one of those guys who just pushes his body to the limit. I really do like the Mike Richards comparison--not necessarily from the legendary intangibles standpoint but from the body recklessness despite build standpoint.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

I won't worry too much if it takes an extra year for him to make the NHL. This year is very unusual due to COVID.

Development isn't linear for any player. Add in a global obstacle like a pandemic, and you can't really be worried for a player who needs time adjusting to professional hockey.

I really like Turcotte. Excellent player that plays 200’ hard, but prone to injury. He likely caps at a strong 2C/3C depends on Kopitar.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Much better showing this year so far. Been snakebitten, I feel he needs to pot one to get his offensive confidence up but he's been doing alot of the dirty work all over the ice.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Tyson Jost. They have very similar stats and play very similar.

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyWooot

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Tyson Jost was poorly developed. Colorado rushed him into the NHL following only one season after being drafted. Jost could've ended up a lot better than he has so far. I also think he could still become a second line center at some point in his career, although it likely won't be in Colorado and won't be in the next season or two.

Turcotte is probably more NHL ready now than Jost was and a better overall prospect than Jost was, but there's no reason to rush him to the NHL like Colorado did with Jost. Let him play in the AHL this season, and potentially next season. The Kings have plenty of prospect depth at center and are not yet competitive. They can let Turcotte develop in the AHL for the time being.

Reactions: Finster8

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Tyson Jost was poorly developed. Colorado rushed him into the NHL following only one season after being drafted. Jost could've ended up a lot better than he has so far. I also think he could still become a second line center at some point in his career, although it likely won't be in Colorado and won't be in the next season or two.

Turcotte is probably more NHL ready now than Jost was and a better overall prospect than Jost was, but there's no reason to rush him to the NHL like Colorado did with Jost. Let him play in the AHL this season, and potentially next season. The Kings have plenty of prospect depth at center and are not yet competitive. They can let Turcotte develop in the AHL for the time being.
I agree about the development

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I think that he hit two posts in the exhibition game and three more in last night's game. Maybe his finishing ability isn't the best, but he's doing the work and getting into scoring positions and that's what's very encouraging about him. He continues to remind me a little of Mike Richards, who didn't always put up huge numbers of goals, but was always buzzing, going to the dirty areas, getting chances and setting up teammates.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's been really solid all tournament, despite some of the criticisms from a few people.

I said before the tournament that people would criticize his scoring because he wouldn't get free PP points, given he's playing on the second unit. He's T4 in the tournament in ES points with 5 (Zegras with 8, Cozens with 7, Tomasino with 6), so he's contributing pretty well to the offense, even though apparently he doesn't have offensive ability.

He's been good on draws, and very effective in puck battles, forechecking, zone entries. He's not going to make that many highlight reel plays, so if thats all that you watch for, you might not notice his full impact. But if you watch for consistency in shift to shift play, he's been good in every game. Well deserved player of the game against Sweden. He's been one of our better players so far.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
To me Turk is a potential clone of Zach Parise.

If the Kings let him play wing and focus on his strengths: forechecking, plays in tight, front net presence, speed etc.. he can develop into the next Parise. He'll get 90% of his goals from within 10 feet of the net and not have to worry about being the first player back on the backcheck.

We'll never see his full offensive potential groomed as a center, but rather a better overall 2-way player.

Last edited:

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Kid is a fool, he competes too hard, the injuries are bound to pile up, and then where will he be? He will be out of the league never having won anything by age 30 like that Mike Richards guy. Fool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad