C Alex Turcotte - USNTDP, USHL (2019, 5th, LAK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
bigturk_60g_0.png

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I hope Turcotte showed in this tournament to the doubters why some people are so high on his game.

He's not the flashiest player. There are absolutely a few players at a similar caliber whose games will attract more attention and will make more gif-able players, but Turcotte's a brutally effective player in all zones with consistency. Brings it every game. Rarely can you say he didn't play well because he does all the little things.

No weaknesses. Plays as hard as anyone you will see, forechecks as well as anyone you will see. Great hockey sense, makes so many key puck retrievals in the defensive zone, skates the puck out of trouble and into the zone. Wins his face-offs at a high rate. And the most underrated part of his game is probably his offense. 8 ES points in this tournament. Third most in the tournament. Great net front player. Plays a lot on the inside. Very good on the cycle, accurate passer and shooter, and he has the capability to make flashy plays with the puck more than he gets credit for.

The Kings made a great pick, and I think teams picking above them will look up at the draft board eventually when the careers of the 2019 draft eligibles are over and think they made a mistake passing on this kid.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
He is a huge character work hard guy, I still wonder about his offensive upside. As I said before he reminds me of Tyson Jost, a player you win with and plays the right way. I think Turcotte will be a better point producer though just because he goes in the tough areas more.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I hope Turcotte showed in this tournament to the doubters why some people are so high on his game.

He's not the flashiest player. There are absolutely a few players at a similar caliber whose games will attract more attention and will make more gif-able players, but Turcotte's a brutally effective player in all zones with consistency. Brings it every game. Rarely can you say he didn't play well because he does all the little things.

No weaknesses. Plays as hard as anyone you will see, forechecks as well as anyone you will see. Great hockey sense, makes so many key puck retrievals in the defensive zone, skates the puck out of trouble and into the zone. Wins his face-offs at a high rate. And the most underrated part of his game is probably his offense. 8 ES points in this tournament. Third most in the tournament. Great net front player. Plays a lot on the inside. Very good on the cycle, accurate passer and shooter, and he has the capability to make flashy plays with the puck more than he gets credit for.

The Kings made a great pick, and I think teams picking above them will look up at the draft board eventually when the careers of the 2019 draft eligibles are over and think they made a mistake passing on this kid.

I mentioned on the Kings board that Turcotte suffers from being the least flashy skill player who punches above his weight class.

Zegras is an awesome talent, and I underestimated his skillset in his draft year. But I'm also happy the Kings got Turcotte.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I thought he was very poor the whole tournament but was one of America's best, in the Gold Medal game. I think he'll be a solid number 2 C in the next level. I don't see gamebreaking ability or high offensive skill set but hard drive and complete game.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
It will be interesting to see how his game transfers. Even in the WJC you are in most games playing against players that will never even get close to the NHL. Dominating against "weak" opposition is obviously not the same as being effective at the highest level.

I guess my style was a bit like Turcotte (he is slightly better than I was though). I never had the skill to shine with individual brilliance, but I always felt I could beat anyone matching up with "me". I believe Turcotte will end up being that kind of player. A better version of Mikko Koivu maybe...? If not exactly in style so a C that with the right teammates can be #"%"%## effective even if he isn't scoring 100 points.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Loved this kids tourney. Poor guy went to play in a Germany and before he could get in a game got COVID and was sent back home to heal and quarantine. Kaliyev also ended up with COVID around the same time. As the tourney wore on you could see both players getting there feet, hands and in Kaliyev’s case his lungs under him.

Turcotte is a bit of a morph between a cerebral player and an undersized wrecking ball. He goes we’re he is needed, does a bit of everything, and sometimes plays a little reckless with his body.

he will be in the kings top six, not sure if it will be at center or wing, and he will be counted on in both ends. It may sound funny as they’ve been enemies the last two years but I think he and Byfield would pair interesting with Turcotte in the middle.

Can’t wait to see him after a fall season of the AHL and a little more physical growth

Reactions: Kearns

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
Looks like he's going to be one hell of a player. I don't think he's ever going to score like an elite 1c but he's the type of player you win with. Looks to me like a 60 point 2-way center who shows up when the games matter most.

Can't wait for the rivalry between the Ducks and Kings with Turcotte, Faber, Zegras, and Thrun all playing against each other.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Got better as the games got more important. He elevated his game, good players can play to the situation. Had a very good tournament, impressed.

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
I thought his level of play justified his draft position and think he will be a efficient #2C in the NHL. Look forward to watching him play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig