C Alex Turcotte - USNTDP, USHL (2019, 5th, LAK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
14 points in 9 games. Hobey Baker watch should be on for now. Only two Freshmen have won the Hobey Baker, Kariya and Eichel. Kariya was at 2.56 PPG, Eichel at 1.78.

Turcotte is at 1.56. Using the last 30 years, Turcotte is on pace for the T5th best U19 season in PPG, but 3rd is well within reach. Some guy named Ryan Hughes is third at 1.63, Jaden Schwartz is 4th at 1.57, and he's tied with Zach Parise for 5th at 1.56. Notable players just below what he's averaging are Brian Gionta (1.55), St. Louis (1.53), Weight (1.50), Heatley (1.47), Cammalleri (1.45), Keller (1.45), Boeser (1.43).

If he can get that average up a little to 1.65 or above, I would have to think he's in close contention for the Hobey Baker. That would be the third best U19 season in recent history behind a HHOF'er and another guy who'll be there when his career is over. Both of those guys won the Hobey Baker as a Freshman. Then again, the sample is only 9 games, so it's small enough that he could definitely start struggling and his PPG number could go the other way.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
14 points in 9 games. Hobey Baker watch should be on for now. Only two Freshmen have won the Hobey Baker, Kariya and Eichel. Kariya was at 2.56 PPG, Eichel at 1.78.

Turcotte is at 1.56. Using the last 30 years, Turcotte is on pace for the T5th best U19 season in PPG, but 3rd is well within reach. Some guy named Ryan Hughes is third at 1.63, Jaden Schwartz is 4th at 1.57, and he's tied with Zach Parise for 5th at 1.56. Notable players just below what he's averaging are Brian Gionta (1.55), St. Louis (1.53), Weight (1.50), Heatley (1.47), Cammalleri (1.45), Keller (1.45), Boeser (1.43).

If he can get that average up a little to 1.65 or above, I would have to think he's in close contention for the Hobey Baker. That would be the third best U19 season in recent history behind a HHOF'er and another guy who'll be there when his career is over. Both of those guys won the Hobey Baker as a Freshman. Then again, the sample is only 9 games, so it's small enough that he could definitely start struggling and his PPG number could go the other way.
Jack Dugan is on a stupid scoring pace right now if he doesn't regress then I think he'll be a big favorite. There are some other guys killing it early too. The only reason I think Turcotte has a good shot is that he is performing well so early. Usually there are more growing pains, not to say there have been none, but I don't think it is out of the question that he actually starts playing better (and putting up more numbers) as the season goes on. Obviously Caufield is right there too but I'd like to see him score a bit more 5x5 before we start talking about that

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Jack Dugan is on a stupid scoring pace right now if he doesn't regress then I think he'll be a big favorite. There are some other guys killing it early too. The only reason I think Turcotte has a good shot is that he is performing well so early. Usually there are more growing pains, not to say there have been none, but I don't think it is out of the question that he actually starts playing better (and putting up more numbers) as the season goes on. Obviously Caufield is right there too but I'd like to see him score a bit more 5x5 before we start talking about that

Dugan is the big favorite, but I think if Turcotte has a season like described, it's going to look pretty bad for the voters to pick him over Turcotte. It would be a little like Panarin winning the Calder over McDavid. Dugan is probably going to be a good pro hockey player, but I've always thought that with these types of awards, you want to take into account when voting for the award who you want representing the season. I thought Dahlin should've won the Calder last season over Pettersson. Pettersson scored a lot more points, but there were plenty of U20 players in NHL history to put up a season like he did. There was one in NHL history to put up a U19 season like Dahlin.

If any of these freshmen, whether its Turcotte, Caufield, Zegras, Knight are able to put up one of the 3-4 best seasons in the sport, I think that deserves a first place vote over a player like Dugan, Hentges, Barron, Thompson. These awards should not just be about who leads the league in points, in my opinion.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Dugan is the big favorite, but I think if Turcotte has a season like described, it's going to look pretty bad for the voters to pick him over Turcotte. It would be a little like Panarin winning the Calder over McDavid. Dugan is probably going to be a good pro hockey player, but I've always thought that with these types of awards, you want to take into account when voting for the award who you want representing the season. I thought Dahlin should've won the Calder last season over Pettersson. Pettersson scored a lot more points, but there were plenty of U20 players in NHL history to put up a season like he did. There was one in NHL history to put up a U19 season like Dahlin.

If any of these freshmen, whether its Turcotte, Caufield, Zegras, Knight are able to put up one of the 3-4 best seasons in the sport, I think that deserves a first place vote over a player like Dugan, Hentges, Barron, Thompson. These awards should not just be about who leads the league in points, in my opinion.
The Hobey Baker voting is nothing like the Calder voting. It will go to the best college hockey player in NCAA, not the player most likely to be the best pro.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net

Yeah I understand what your saying. Age should be a factor. I also see the argument that if someone, even if they are like 23 just dismantles the league, they probably should get it. But if it's close IMO give the edge to the younger guy

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Exactly! And Turcotte is a team worst -5. He's good but let's not annoint him the next Patrice Bergeron (or better) just yet.
He plays on the top line for a team that has struggled defensively at times, -5 isn't a serious indictment. Getting most of his points on the PP doesn't help his +-. They've played some good teams and pretty sure he caught -3 in the PSU stinkers alone

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
He plays on the top line for a team that has struggled defensively at times, -5 isn't a serious indictment. Getting most of his points on the PP doesn't help his +-. They've played some good teams and pretty sure he caught -3 in the PSU stinkers alone

And yet his sometimes (oftimes?) linemate is a +12...

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
And yet his sometimes (oftimes?) linemate is a +12...

You should probably defer to the guy actually watching most games instead of reading the most misused stat to jump to conclusions and your usual crap-on-a-King agenda.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
You know, you'd think that after hyping Kupari and JAD all last year that Kings fan would show some humility about the potential of their prospects. Let's pump the brakes a bit, shall we?

Kings fans hyping Kupari and JAD. Now I have seen it all. :) Not to mention JAD is playing surprisingly well.

You are one of a kind, a special person.

Reactions: KingTech

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
You know, you'd think that after hyping Kupari and JAD all last year that Kings fan would show some humility about the potential of their prospects. Let's pump the brakes a bit, shall we?

I'd love to see what overhyping you're seeing about this guy or either of these two guys that no one else is seeing. I don't see any unjustified tire pumping of Turcotte here, and this thread is relatively empty of Kings fans. If anything, it's been dead compared to the other set of top-5 picks and compared to his teammate.

Showing all your cards as usual man, maybe just sit back and enjoy the guy, you don't always have to look for a reason to be upset with a King-related property and fans.

Reactions: crassbonanza

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Kupari and JAD are pretty good prospects... id be hyped to have them.

and Turcotte is a beast... he should be a bit overhyped.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Who cares what the hell his plus/minus is? He's a freshmen center in the NCAA putting up big numbers. Provided he stays relatively healthy over his career, it's hard to imagine him not being a Selke contender for a number of years (ala Bergeron and Point).

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017

What hyping are you talking about? and who are you to tell anyone to show humility? Forgive fans for being excited about their prospects in their prospects thread...

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
I've been impressed with Turcotte. Caufield has been invisible, but Turcotte played well against Russia. Hasn't translated to the score sheet, but making a lot of nice plays and is a great skater.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I thought he would be USA best player, I wanted him so bad at the draft. He's been disappointing thus far but there's still the most important games to be played.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He’s badly out of form. He’s been struggling for over a month now. It started right around when he had an illness that made him miss a few games. He started playing bad hockey right when he came back from that. Bad luck because he was on his way to challenging for the Hobey Baker prior to that.

But I thought he was very good today and our best player. He didn’t get on the scoresheet, but sometimes that happens where you play well, and the goalie stops the chances you are part of and let’s in worse chances that you aren’t part of. It usually does all even out over a season. He needs to be playing more than he did. There’s no reason he should be playing a bottom six role for this team.

Edit: He also had like 3-4 points in the last exhibition game before the tournament started. That was the game Caufield scored four goals. They’ve combined for one point in three games, although they had 7-8 in the last exhibition game before the tournament. That was mostly just because of the PP and I didn’t think either were that good in that game, but it’s yet another reminder not to overreact to a short tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad