C Alex Turcotte - USNTDP, USHL (2019, 5th, LAK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Where did you see that?

Let's just put it this way so you avoid the usual "lol Kings prospects suck" schtick--Byfield is a C and only a C.

I mean, I think everything you've said is correct. But at the end of the day, even with Thomas, Madden, and Vilardi off the wing, there are three spots for the four of Kopitar, Danault, Byfield, and Turcotte. I agree with you that Turcotte would likely make a strong winger, but is that really maximizing value for the Kings?

I think you could play him off the wing, but you might be better served packaging him for some serious improvement on your blue line or wings. Just my two cents, we'll see how things play out I suppose. It's a good problem to have.

Either way--I think that's exactly what the Kings are doing. Have to see what holes we have before going off to fill them. I mean, if ALL the guys hit and no one's hurt, that's a good overflow to have, and at that point, I'm sure guys will be used as assets for upgrades/hole patching. I imagine this is the year they shed some of the fluff because guys simply cannot be held down any more.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
But at the end of the day, even with Thomas, Madden, and Vilardi off the wing, there are three spots for the four of Kopitar, Danault, Byfield, and Turcotte. I agree with you that Turcotte would likely make a strong winger, but is that really maximizing value for the Kings?

Kopitar probably isn't shifting to wing any time soon, but Danault might. If LA's top three centers in two years are Kopitar - Byfield - Turcotte (in any order), that's a mighty fine problem to have. Especially with Iafallo and Danault in the top six.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Imagine Kopitar without Dustin Brown as a backpack and with no defensive responsibility :laugh:

If he can go over PPG carrying that f***ing piano in a 23 jersey...

But yeah really the good news is a couple of years to sort it all out, see who gets moved to wing or traded for a natural winger...and a good age spread between all of them. If you look at the age splits on the Kings those Danault and Arvidsson moves look genius and well-designed. It's just the glut of other middle-six stuff that's making it difficult right now...especially now that they're actually winning.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Kopitar probably isn't shifting to wing any time soon, but Danault might. If LA's top three centers in two years are Kopitar - Byfield - Turcotte (in any order), that's a mighty fine problem to have. Especially with Iafallo and Danault in the top six.

Why would the Kings put an elite faceoff guy on the wing?

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Kings has so many good prospects seems like some are not getting a shot due to no room? How does he look eye test wise in AHL?

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Kings has so many good prospects seems like some are not getting a shot due to no room? How does he look eye test wise in AHL?

Just a victim of the Kings dumbass numbers game.

He's not even getting PP1 time because they're busy spoon feeding the guys in their late 20s in Frk, Tynan, Tkachev (just like the big club--despite being as productive in half the time the vets are overriding the youth). But at ES, he's outproducing everyone but those guys, and the eye test is a guy who can play in the NHL immediately--the ongoing question is just his size/durability because he wants to play like Mike Richards and just keeps recklessly getting in there and getting banged up. Think Blake Lizotte on the forecheck.

I actually think he will be one of those guys even better at the NHL level because he's an elite puck supporter and makes plays guys just are not ready to finish. He's probably not going to outproduce the other top-1o picks, but he still looks every bit like a Toews/Richards type, impactful everywhere, often making plays deep in his own zone to start a play.

So, eye test is a guy who is just stuck, biding his time, needs a cup of coffee in the NHL to get a taste and some homework. I think if Iafallo can work next to Kopitar, Turcotte is that guy at an even higher pace, and would love to see it for a couple of games.

I know others are far less sold on him, but I'm still very, very bullish on Turcotte.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008

To be honest most aren’t getting a shot in order to get average 3rd/4th line players ice time. Makes no sense at all. Not like it’s Byfield taking ice time from Turcotte.

Reactions: bsu

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Just a victim of the Kings dumbass numbers game.

He's not even getting PP1 time because they're busy spoon feeding the guys in their late 20s in Frk, Tynan, Tkachev (just like the big club--despite being as productive in half the time the vets are overriding the youth). But at ES, he's outproducing everyone but those guys, and the eye test is a guy who can play in the NHL immediately--the ongoing question is just his size/durability because he wants to play like Mike Richards and just keeps recklessly getting in there and getting banged up. Think Blake Lizotte on the forecheck.

I actually think he will be one of those guys even better at the NHL level because he's an elite puck supporter and makes plays guys just are not ready to finish. He's probably not going to outproduce the other top-1o picks, but he still looks every bit like a Toews/Richards type, impactful everywhere, often making plays deep in his own zone to start a play.

So, eye test is a guy who is just stuck, biding his time, needs a cup of coffee in the NHL to get a taste and some homework. I think if Iafallo can work next to Kopitar, Turcotte is that guy at an even higher pace, and would love to see it for a couple of games.

I know others are far less sold on him, but I'm still very, very bullish on Turcotte.

I think hell be fine at the NHL level... and i think once he gets his chance hell likely be stuck up there.

He has shown he can play with top skilled players and produce/be effective(world juniors, he was a big factor in zegras having time and space)... and i think hell do a lot of the same in the NHL.

I guess for BSU, he plays a lot like lundy but w/ more upside ideally

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I wanted him to drop to the Ducks pre-draft some of the injuries were scaring me though. Didn't think Zegras or Turcotte would be available.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think hell be fine at the NHL level... and i think once he gets his chance hell likely be stuck up there.

He has shown he can play with top skilled players and produce/be effective(world juniors, he was a big factor in zegras having time and space)... and i think hell do a lot of the same in the NHL.

I guess for BSU, he plays a lot like lundy but w/ more upside ideally

I hate saying it this way because it sounds degrading but he's an 'elite grinder', high pace, high skill, but also a guy that's gonna do all the work to get the puck, yet may have to give it to someone else to finish. That Zegras-Kaliyev-Turcotte line was deadly in large part because of his digging (oversimplified obv, just a general 'role' standpoint) and play-starting.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I hate saying it this way because it sounds degrading but he's an 'elite grinder', high pace, high skill, but also a guy that's gonna do all the work to get the puck, yet may have to give it to someone else to finish. That Zegras-Kaliyev-Turcotte line was deadly in large part because of his digging (oversimplified obv, just a general 'role' standpoint) and play-starting.
Haha I don’t see it as degrading…. Kinda how Kesler played and he was a stud for a long part of his career…. And those types of players help create space/opportunities for the rest of the team.

I guess it doesn’t pay respect to his skill saying all that…. But his hard work is what you love about a guy like turcotte. He can make high skill plays but his game isn’t all “razzle dazzle”…. He’s going to make it hard for you to play against

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Haha I don’t see it as degrading…. Kinda how Kesler played and he was a stud for a long part of his career…. And those types of players help create space/opportunities for the rest of the team.

I guess it doesn’t pay respect to his skill saying all that…. But his hard work is what you love about a guy like turcotte. He can make high skill plays but his game isn’t all “razzle dazzle”…. He’s going to make it hard for you to play against

There were plenty of reports of him playing 'too hard' at practice and pissing people off and I'm here for it, Kings need that kind of fire. Kesler is a really good comp too.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
There were plenty of reports of him playing 'too hard' at practice and pissing people off and I'm here for it, Kings need that kind of fire. Kesler is a really good comp too.
Sounds really good, but the reality is that "playing too hard" can often mean that the player is doing things that will lead to injury. Practice is practice, whether it be in a sparring session, or on a hockey rink. It is not reffed. You don't punch a guy full out in the face repeatedly in a sparring session, just a light tag or two. The message is sent that he will need to work on his defense. Same with a defensive player getting beaten on a play, yet if instead of going on the next rep, he chops at the guy's hands, knowing that there is no ref to call it- that's going to piss people off knowing that they are going to go into the next night's game knowing they won't be able to hold their stick, extend their skating stride, have a sore back, etc. It is a long, long season, with plenty of "real" hockey. Players get pissed when someone runs them from behind in practice, or chops at them, or crosschecks them in the back. It's stupid and unnecessary.

I've never thought of the Kings as an organization that doesn't play hard- quite the opposite. Maybe some other team might need Turcotte's "playing too hard", but in general, most players don't last in the NHL if they are lazy or have bad practice habits.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Looks like we're cruising towards a debut on Tuesday, at long last. But vs. VGK...that lineup might get punched in the mouth :laugh: regardless glad to see him being at least started in a top-6 role. All it took was infinity injuries and a worldwide pandemic with resultant mandated NHL benchings to get the Kings to pay attention. (no Danault, Byfield, Brown, Athanasiou, probably missing 1-2 more that I'm not thinking of, including some coaches).

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Looks like we're cruising towards a debut on Tuesday, at long last. But vs. VGK...that lineup might get punched in the mouth :laugh: regardless glad to see him being at least started in a top-6 role. All it took was infinity injuries and a worldwide pandemic with resultant mandated NHL benchings to get the Kings to pay attention.

I really feel like turcotte will stick on the roster,once he gets his chance

Reactions: kinghock

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I really feel like turcotte will stick on the roster,once he gets his chance

Frankly I don't know that he will just due to precedent for how LA uses veterans particularly at C--hell Byfield is pencilled in as 4C on a good day--but I think this cup of coffee is vital in his development and I'm happy that it's in the 'correct' role instead of like 4LW like how they break the others in.

At the very least, that line is gonna be a pain in the ass.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
And for the folks across a few threads who are echo-chambering the idea that Turcotte is struggling/busting and won't listen to LAK fans:

Practice 12/26: We're Back! Doughty activated, Turcotte to taxi, Brown/Maatta & staff to protocol + McLellan quotes - LA Kings Insider

[TM] On what he wants to see, and has seen, from Alex Turcotte this season:

We want to see growth. We know where he was coming out of training camp, which was close to being a full-time NHL’er. He’s gone to the American League now, and of course their season is disrupted somewhat and he’s fought through some injuries, but when he’s been able to play, his game’s been a very consistent, two-way game. He’s a player that is an energy type player, he’s involved in everything. He strips a lot of pucks, creates turnovers for his teammates and we’ll be looking for that. How is he defensively, is he able to read things quicker and close things quicker, but by all indications, through Chris Hajt, his play there has been deserving of his recall at this point.

Reactions: kinghock

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
But how many times do you hear of an article that says, " First round Prospect ________ has been called up to the NHL from the AHL team, even though he doesn't deserve it."

Pretty well never. Like all prospects, we'll see.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
But how many times do you hear of an article that says, " First round Prospect ________ has been called up to the NHL from the AHL team, even though he doesn't deserve it."

Pretty well never. Like all prospects, we'll see.

I figured the idea that they thought he was NHL-ready at the start of the year, more so than he's deserving of a call-up, would be an evaluation to share with folks who don't believe Reign fans' evaluations, that's all.

I understand good news about Turcotte has cynics making sure we know it's not actually good, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad