C Alex Turcotte - USNTDP, USHL (2019, 5th, LAK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I don't think there is a top tier prospect who fits their organization's needs in the entire NHL than Turcotte with the Kings. When you look at that black hole at the center of the ice after an aging Kopitar and their lack of offensive drivers and new core leadership up front. You just hope Turcotte can stay healthy with his style of play. You think about the Kings and you can't help but think about Gabe Vilardi - who like Turcotte, just plays a winning brand of all-around hockey but just has been setback so terribly with injury.

I imagine some day if Vilardi can get healthy, him playing RW next to Turcotte and that being an absolute buzzsaw of a line with incredible energy all over the ice.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
1 assist in his college debut yesterday, on a Caufield goal of course. We're going to be seeing lots of that this year I think.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You'd hear a lot more about his play if he was playing for the Habs. He has the same number of points as Caufield, and I'm sure he'll finish with more during the season.

What I find most impressive is that he leads Wisconsin in FO%. Wisconsin is a team with supposedly a lot of veteran leaders, but a freshman is their best FO guy already. Turcotte was the most NHL ready player in the 2019 draft class, and I think he's going to prove over the course of his career to be the best player from the 2019 draft. He'll continue to go under the radar here, which is no issue. He was under the radar last year, as well.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
You'd hear a lot more about his play if he was playing for the Habs. He has the same number of points as Caufield, and I'm sure he'll finish with more during the season.

What I find most impressive is that he leads Wisconsin in FO%. Wisconsin is a team with supposedly a lot of veteran leaders, but a freshman is their best FO guy already. Turcotte was the most NHL ready player in the 2019 draft class, and I think he's going to prove over the course of his career to be the best player from the 2019 draft. He'll continue to go under the radar here, which is no issue. He was under the radar last year, as well.
it was a fascinating group last year, if you could combine hughes, caufield, turcotte and boldy you'd have a super prospect lol. Size/body upside, skating, playmaking goalscoring, and everything else. Turcotte has all the stuff that doesn't show up on your traditional highlight reel and plenty that does. The only thing that holds him back (and who knows if it will) is that he isn't some 6'3 force with insane athletic potential. just a hell of a hockey player who impacts the game thoroughly

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
it was a fascinating group last year, if you could combine hughes, caufield, turcotte and boldy you'd have a super prospect lol. Size/body upside, skating, playmaking goalscoring, and everything else. Turcotte has all the stuff that doesn't show up on your traditional highlight reel and plenty that does. The only thing that holds him back (and who knows if it will) is that he isn't some 6'3 force with insane athletic potential. just a hell of a hockey player who impacts the game thoroughly

I think he plays bigger than he is. He's well built with a powerful skating stride and an excellent work-ethic in all zones. I've never thought size was any hindrance for his game, although it is true that players his size and style tend to break down physically easier than a 6'5 guy whose physical component comes from being bigger. But it worked for Crosby, not that I'm stating he'll be close to as good.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
I think he plays bigger than he is. He's well built with a powerful skating stride and an excellent work-ethic in all zones. I've never thought size was any hindrance for his game, although it is true that players his size and style tend to break down physically easier than a 6'5 guy whose physical component comes from being bigger. But it worked for Crosby, not that I'm stating he'll be close to as good.
yeah I don't disagree I'm just looking at what might put a ceiling on his projection. his game suits the game today exceedingly well. He does play big and with his ability level I think he has the mentality to turn himself into a superstar, he can carry the puck and doesn't overthink much. Of those american guys including hughes he has a great chance to be the best of them all, of course it will be fairly debatable if they all have pretty good nhl careers, he could take off in a singular way though and plays the most important position

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

That's my worry, that he'll just Mike Richards his body to the max every shift.

Reactions: wetcoast

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington

Any thoughts on Linus Weissbach the 3rd wheel on the Turcotte / Caufield line?

PKWeber

Mar 1, 2017
Montreal

If Turcotte was a Hab you wouldn’t be posting about him so it goes both ways. Why haven’t I seen you post in the Caufield thread?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

You don't want my thoughts. Ask @tealhockey.

I haven't seen Wisconsin play this season anyway, so I'd only be going on a few viewings from last season, and I wasn't paying specific attention to his game last season either, so I'm not the person to ask.

Reactions: Mitts888

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
If Turcotte was a Hab you wouldn’t be posting about him so it goes both ways. Why haven’t I seen you post in the Caufield thread?

Agreed. I hate the Habs so much that my favorite player from the past draft I instantly hated his game when I saw the Habs drafted him. You're in my head before I am. Nice catch.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
He's a great college player, skill level shows regularly, becoming more and more well-rounded offensively. He's going to be in a great spot to put up big points as teams shade to cover Caufield and before long Turcotte too. Not sure if he will be anything for the pro level but he's trending in the right direction.

Reactions: Kc232 and Mitts888

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
That's my worry, that he'll just Mike Richards his body to the max every shift.
That was my only concern with him. Dude is talented enough to be a franchise level center, but he plays with such a reckless abandon he will wreck himslef before he finishes his 2nd NHL contract.

Hopefully he reels it in a bit like Landeskog did.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

I'm also interested to see what people think of Roman Ahcan and if the lsuter is coming off Dylan Holloway a bit this year?

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
I'm also interested to see what people think of Roman Ahcan and if the lsuter is coming off Dylan Holloway a bit this year?
Roman is a pretty good player, don't think he is a clear pro but definitely great in college and could be a low level pro in time for sure. Wouldn't say the luster is coming off of Dylan Holloway, the sense seems to be that he is a mid-first rounder and as far as being a lottery pick type, I think we have to wait until the first third of the season is done and more at the second half for that. There's a reason he's basically the only prospect playing his draft year in college hockey - it's not easy. He looks decent so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad