C Alex Newhook - Victoria Grizzlies, BCHL (2019, 16th, COL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Yeah I found that out a couple of hours ago. Odd he was cut.

Yeah really weird to me. I don’t know who’s coaching, what type of team they’re trying to build and they always try to represent each league in the region. It’s not always the best players going, I think that’s the case here because Newhook should be.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yeah really weird to me. I don’t know who’s coaching, what type of team they’re trying to build and they always try to represent each league in the region. It’s not always the best players going, I think that’s the case here because Newhook should be.

Maybe they thought he's probably a lock for next year so might as well let someone else go?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Scored a beautiful goal on Sunday.

He is having an unreal season, Victoria's best player by quite a margin, and one of the best in the BCHL already as a 16 year old.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015
Why was he cut from Team Canada?
The selection of that team is extremely political, and geared to getting some guys more college exposure. There are guys from the MJHL and SJHL on the team over him, do you know what he would do to those leagues?

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Scored a beautiful goal on Sunday.

He is having an unreal season, Victoria's best player by quite a margin, and one of the best in the BCHL already as a 16 year old.

Jesus what a goal. I agree nobody comes close to him on Victoria and he's gonna be dominant next year.

Also Mods you should probably change the thread title to his correct team and league.

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
Has to be a better reason.
No team, especially Hockey Canada leaves a player off of it so others can get a better look.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Has to be a better reason.
No team, especially Hockey Canada leaves a player off of it so others can get a better look.
Of all the programs Hockey Canada deal with, the World Junior A challenge is the furthest down the list, like extremely far. Hockey Canada, frankly, don't care about the World Junior A Challenge.

WJC
W U-18
W U-17
All 3 of the above selection camps
-
-
W U-19

Hockey Canada really aren't much involved, comparatively, in that process. The guys on that are, for the most part, not even close to getting the attention of Hockey Canada aside from the high end guys they already know about such as Newhook, Jost, Fabbro, McBain, Turris, etc.

The World Junior A challenge isn't a part of the identification and development for the World Juniors, which every other program is.

Just look at the past rosters. It's a vast majority of nobodies. Look at these roster, full of nobodies minus 2/3.

Newhook should have been there, zero question about that. He was cut, for whatever reason. Team West won, so it doesn't really matter.

Newhook is a better prospect than every player on either roster for canada, and it isn't even remotely close.

He will be on the U-18 team, and be a guy looked at for a WJC spot, the others won't.

Do you really think Hockey Canada care, or are even looking at Ross Armour? He has zero relevance to Hockey Canada. Newhook does. If the picks were made by HC, Newhook would have been there. It's an NCAA driven event (19 year old, non drafted Jr. A players....), not a Hockey Canada driven event.

Last edited:

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
I think they tried to roll with an older roster, but still, I didn’t see a reason to cut him, even if they did end up winning the tournament. He’s been very impressive in my Victoria viewings against older competition.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Kid has unreal hands, IQ and speed. Reminds me a lot of a Patty Kane type. I'm not sure Newhook will project as a center as much as a winger. He's currently the highest U18 scorer in the BCHL, 2nd highest U19 scorer. If he can have a Jost like or better draft year in Victoria he should go top 10 no doubt.

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
Right, but there were two other 01 players that made it. Anyway, something is off there.

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
Also, McBain was in it last year, and lead the tournament in scoring this year. Maybe it's a West thing? No wait, Makar and Jost were on it I believe as underagers like McBain.
Not sure why he would be cut, but he was. Loosely affiliated with HC or not, you're still trying to put the best team together with the hopes of winning. Either he had a subpar camp or there is something else. I am sure it's because he had a weak camp. I agree very good player though.

saintflannel

Oct 6, 2011
Good chance the Mooseheads host the Memorial Cup next year. I wonder if there's any chance he joins Halifax in the summer.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Also, McBain was in it last year, and lead the tournament in scoring this year. Maybe it's a West thing? No wait, Makar and Jost were on it I believe as underagers like McBain.
Not sure why he would be cut, but he was. Loosely affiliated with HC or not, you're still trying to put the best team together with the hopes of winning. Either he had a subpar camp or there is something else. I am sure it's because he had a weak camp. I agree very good player though.
Makar was not on it as a 16 year old, he split the season between midget and the AJHL.

Newhook is a Hockey Canada favorite. He will be involved in the under 18 process if Victoria is eliminated early, and will again be apart of the Ivan Hlinka team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Acadien86

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Good chance the Mooseheads host the Memorial Cup next year. I wonder if there's any chance he joins Halifax in the summer.

I'm thinking Moncton might host it, they just built a brand new arena (it's huge) and they applied to host the Memorial Cup. But I think there is a good chance that Halifax wins it all next year!

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Right, but there were two other 01 players that made it. Anyway, something is off there.

That question again, eh.. I feel bad for BondraTime... He took the time to write a nice big post explaining everything about this situation. If you still think something is off here, go re-read his post.. twice. Thanks.

Last edited:

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
You feel bad for Bondra time? There is still no answer as to why he was cut. Simply saying he is beloved by HC and he’ll be on every other Hlinka, WC and WJC team doesn’t pass the sniff test. Give me another name of a high quality player left off their underage year, in lieu of other underagers.
I agree he is a good player. All I’m asking is did he have a bad Camp? Is it as plain as that?

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
I think it is pretty clear that the tournament is not important. Obviously no one here knows the real answer as to why he was cut. You can start raising red flags but at the end of the day, he will be the (or one of the) best player coming out of this league.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
You feel bad for Bondra time? There is still no answer as to why he was cut. Simply saying he is beloved by HC and he’ll be on every other Hlinka, WC and WJC team doesn’t pass the sniff test. Give me another name of a high quality player left off their underage year, in lieu of other underagers.
I agree he is a good player. All I’m asking is did he have a bad Camp? Is it as plain as that?
Sure, he had a bad camp. If we want to go with that, that works.

Doesn't change the fact that he's having the best 16 year old season in more than a decade in the BCHL, nor that he is better than pretty much every player on Team West.

Sure, it doesn't pass your sniff test. It's not a part of Hockey Canada's sniff test.

The WJAC has 0 to do with Hockey Canada's WJ evaluation, which is the U-17's, U-18's and finally U-20.

Newhook was one of the best players at both the U-17 camp, and U-17 tournament. He is fully entrenched in HC's radar as a go to 01'.

Last edited:
Reactions: Garyboy

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Watched the game live tonight against Cowichan Valley and he was first star.

He dominated out there and made something happen every shift. He had three points and got robbed on an open net where he faked out the goalie initially. Honestly Newhook should've ended up with at least 3 or 4 MORE points. He was that good and scoring chance-generating machine. Was a step ahead of everyone on the ice.

In addition, he was very competent defensively and made many great reads and timely coverages. Overall such a smart and heady player.

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Now sits 2nd in BCHL scoring, 1 off the lead, with 5 fewer games played. He is very likely to win the scoring title, something I don't think that has ever been done by a 16 year old.

25 points in his last 10 games.

He is well on his way to being a top 5/10 pick in next years draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad