C Alex Newhook - Victoria Grizzlies, BCHL (2019, 16th, COL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
He's trying to maintain is college eligibility. So he can go to Boston College in his d+1. There really isn't any other way to do it. He'll likely be a one and done in College so it's not the greatest path he could take IMO but with a good BCHL season he will go high in the draft.

he can go college this yr
many have done it

you are now assuming he makes nhl in 2020 ?

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
he can go college this yr
many have done it

you are now assuming he makes nhl in 2020 ?

That's true but just because many have done it doesn't mean everyone can or wants to. It takes a lot effort to accelerate your schooling so you can graduate a year early. He's unlikely to hurt his draft stock with a good year in the BCHL. Jost was able to go 10th overall, Turris was able to go 3rd overall. If he has a solid 100+ point season as a center on a good BCHL team then he should go high. His skill level is evident.

I'm assuming his trajectory will be BCHL for 18/19, College for 19/20 and a jump to the pros in 20/21 season. That may be NHL or AHL depending on how ready he is. Similar trajectory to Tyson Jost. Though a lot of where he ends up at that point NHL/AHL will depend on who drafts him.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
That's true but just because many have done it doesn't mean everyone can or wants to. It takes a lot effort to accelerate your schooling so you can graduate a year early. He's unlikely to hurt his draft stock with a good year in the BCHL. Jost was able to go 10th overall, Turris was able to go 3rd overall. If he has a solid 100+ point season as a center on a good BCHL team then he should go high. His skill level is evident.

I'm assuming his trajectory will be BCHL for 18/19, College for 19/20 and a jump to the pros in 20/21 season. That may be NHL or AHL depending on how ready he is. Similar trajectory to Tyson Jost. Though a lot of where he ends up at that point NHL/AHL will depend on who drafts him.

agreed he is in my top 5 right now
his team better bring in some top talent to sustain him for that kind of season required to maintain top 10

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
agreed he is in my top 5 right now
his team better bring in some top talent to sustain him for that kind of season required to maintain top 10

Yeah we'll see what Victoria will do. The BCHL seems to be a pretty even league right now at the top. Victoria, Penticton, Nanaimo, Vernon, Wenatchee and Prince George are all pretty even. With Wenatchee winning their first championship. Though a good chunk of Wenatchee's top players are heading to college so if Victoria is smart they will go all in on the last year they have with Newhook.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
Yeah we'll see what Victoria will do. The BCHL seems to be a pretty even league right now at the top. Victoria, Penticton, Nanaimo, Vernon, Wenatchee and Prince George are all pretty even. With Wenatchee winning their first championship. Though a good chunk of Wenatchee's top players are heading to college so if Victoria is smart they will go all in on the last year they have with Newhook.

any word on talent coming in ?

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
any word on talent coming in ?

Mostly Dmen so far. They signed some big 6'4 defencemen from the USHL. Low scorer but you never know what he can do at this level. They also signed Jack O'Leary a near PPG player from the USPHL. Smaller kid but has some skill could put up some points. Other than that Nother and Rome, Newhooks linemates are off to College. They have a lot of turnover this season so they will be recruiting hard this summer.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
Mostly Dmen so far. They signed some big 6'4 defencemen from the USHL. Low scorer but you never know what he can do at this level. They also signed Jack O'Leary a near PPG player from the USPHL. Smaller kid but has some skill could put up some points. Other than that Nother and Rome, Newhooks linemates are off to College. They have a lot of turnover this season so they will be recruiting hard this summer.

when is the main camp
if i am in the area

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
when is the main camp
if i am in the area

ID camp for the Grizzlies is usually held in early April. So whoever attended their most recent camp will already be on their radar. From there on it's all about recruitment and that is up to management and coaches to find players who are already planning on going the college route and recruit them into the fold. Tough job for sure.

Last years main training camp for signed kids was held August 21st-23rd, so I imagine that this year will be at a similar time.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
The Grizzlies come to my town 4 times this year. I'm stoked to have the opportunity to watch a prospect of this calibre (though I did get to see Tyson Jost and Dante Fabbro once in their draft year).

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
Seems very effective (not flashy), looks like he converts high % of opportunities
good speed

now those BCHL goalies flip flopping :laugh:

Mr. Met

Nov 8, 2017
I had no idea. That's hilarious
I mean, good on him for putting himself out there like this and giving it a go.
DIBTdZSU0AAtRvF.jpg

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I mean the USHL would offer more competition were he to make that move, but it sounds like he's staying in the BCHL?

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I mean the USHL would offer more competition were he to make that move, but it sounds like he's staying in the BCHL?

The BCHL is easily the top Junior A league in Canada. Outside of that you get to play in one of the most beautiful and scenic areas in all of North America. If your going to college and your a good enough player it's not a bad route to take at all. USHL is a step above for sure but it's not going to be such a big step that it will make or break him as a premier talent. BCHL pumps out plenty of very good players.

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
Since I live Newfounland I will be following his development closely this year. It’s been a little while since we had some NHL players as the last crop finished up a couple of seasons ago. We’ve never had an elite talent before so if he could become that it would be great for hockey in the province.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Very excited to watch him play when the Grizzlies come to town next season, Clippers haven't had any players of note since Rempal and Brosseau left for NCAA so I haven't been paying much attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad