C Alex Newhook - Victoria Grizzlies, BCHL (2019, 16th, COL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
As the season has gone on, at this point I wouldn't call it a stretch in any sort to call him the BCHL's best player that turns 17 this month.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
How does he compare to recent BCHL draftee Tyson Jost? His numbers look quite a bit better at the same age.

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
He's having a better season as a 16-year-old compared to both Kyle Turris (3rd overall) and Tyson Jost (1oth overall). If he keeps developing at this rate, he should be taken pretty high in his draft year. Turris went third overall in a weak draft, Jost went top 10 in a normal draft. Just by looking at the history of top BCHL picks, Newhook can probably be top 3-5 in his draft year.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Game on Tuesday once again took the game over and every shift was terrorizing the other team.

Newhook is better than Jost currently at this age, and Jost was pretty darn good. Both have been respectable defensively in their BCHL careers (AN learning very quickly on that front), but Newhook has another gear offensively I think. He slices through defensemen and finds holes with his vision to allow linemates numerous scoring opportunities. It remains to be seen next year what Newhook brings but I believe it will be very big things. He has learned greatly this season.

Nobody is gonna pay attention to him because he doesn't play in the CHL so stat watchers have a difficult time gauging his stats due to statistical unfamiliarity.

His skill level and very apparent upward trajectory suggest to me that there should be no way this kid falls out of the top 10 in 2019. I'd call him a top 5 talent but there's of plenty great names available so as someone that isn't a scout, I can't comment any certainty on all the other players around him.

He's got that "IT" factor where he just gets everything.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Seeing how he has dominated the BCHL this season, is it likely that Newhook stays in the BCHL next season?
If he plans on going the college route the only league that would be an upgrade is the USHL, and moving might not be worth the hassle. Although, moving doesn't seem to be a big problem for him (relocated to a Toronto boarding school to play for YSE in grade 9 and 10, and has now moved out to BC).

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
I'm curious as to what expectations will be for him going into next season. He just won rookie of the year and finished the regular season with 66 points in 45 games, good for a 1.47 point per game; which was the best in the entire BCHL this season. When you compare his 16-year-old season to players like Turris or Jost, he appears to be a tier above them. Is he a potential top 5 pick in 2019 and what kind of totals are you guys expecting next season?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
His broken wrist unfortunately ended his shot at leading the league in scoring, which seemed like a given heading into the home stretch.

Right now I think he'd be ranked ~10ish, and that is where I believe he will end up being selected in the draft.

He should push towards 2ppg next season, and should be over the 100 point plateau.

We will see how he does in the best on best in the Ivan Hlinka this summer, which he will undoubtedly be a part of.

But he never made the Junior A challenge though :laugh:

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
They have already contacted him, and will be over the rest of the summer.

Smith and Russel will be visiting with him as well.
Yeah whether or not it will happen is to be determined but there will no doubt be a big push from the Moose this off season. Especially if Halifax has the Memorial Cup next year which looks pretty likely.

Reactions: Acadien86

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yeah whether or not it will happen is to be determined but there will no doubt be a big push from the Moose this off season. Especially if Halifax has the Memorial Cup next year which looks pretty likely.
I know there are teams who have contacted the Moose wondering if they are going to relenquish his rights like the Eagles did with Bowers. Either way, if Newhook decides not to play with the Moose (something I'm thinking is growing in likelihood over the past while) he won't play for anyone else in the Q.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
I know there are teams who have contacted the Moose wondering if they are going to relenquish his rights like the Eagles did with Bowers. Either way, if Newhook decides not to play with the Moose (something I'm thinking is growing in likelihood over the past while) he won't play for anyone else in the Q.
People who know him say he’s pretty focused on accepting that scholarship to Boston. The USHL are pushing pretty hard for him too, but I’m told he is happy to be playing in Victoria. One would hope the Grizzlies will find some talent to keep up with him next year so he can fully develop.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
People who know him say he’s pretty focused on accepting that scholarship to Boston. The USHL are pushing pretty hard for him too, but I’m told he is happy to be playing in Victoria. One would hope the Grizzlies will find some talent to keep up with him next year so he can fully develop.

I think he will be accepting the scholarship as well, he and his sister are very close and attending school and playing hockey together is high on his list.

Halifax are going to make that decision harder this summer.

Last edited:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

He's #2 on my list for 2019. He's gonna destroy BCHL next year if he stays. 100+ points probably.

#2 on my list as well. Can play all 3 forward positions, prefers center, really solid on the dot. Deceptive speed, great edgework, a very smooth stickhandler and a great wrist shot with a deceptive release, hard on the puck when it's not on his stick. I personally think he's better than Jost was. He won't have as good of a team as Jost did in his draft year IMO. So him hitting 100+ points will be quite the feat. Though you never know who Victoria could bring in to play with him.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
needs to move to better level
not proving anything by playing bchl again

He's trying to maintain is college eligibility. So he can go to Boston College in his d+1. There really isn't any other way to do it. He'll likely be a one and done in College so it's not the greatest path he could take IMO but with a good BCHL season he will go high in the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->