C Alex Newhook - Victoria Grizzlies, BCHL (2019, 16th, COL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firecracker

Jul 3, 2015
That will be very good for him. Victoria is a very good team and they should be able to develop him well.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Interesting. I know many teams in the Q were hoping to convince him to come to the Q.

Will be interesting to see how this summer plays out for him.

A Q team is going to draft him. People expects Halifax to do it at #4 but if they're not sure of him reporting it would be stupid to take him. They'll have a chance at Parent or Pelletier at that spot.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
A Q team is going to draft him. People expects Halifax to do it at #4 but if they're not sure of him reporting it would be stupid to take him. They'll have a chance at Parent or Pelletier at that spot.

Oh 100% a Q team will draft him. But if its not a team like Halifax (a top program), he won't report. Wouldn't be shocked if he fell to the mid rounds because of it.

Hali would be pretty dumb to take him at 4, without a guarentee of him reporting, in my opinion.

EnglishJet

Jul 18, 2014
Nova Scotia
Oh 100% a Q team will draft him. But if its not a team like Halifax (a top program), he won't report. Wouldn't be shocked if he fell to the mid rounds because of it.

Hali would be pretty dumb to take him at 4, without a guarentee of him reporting, in my opinion.

Halifax seems quite high on him but they won't use their 4th unless he's guaranteed to show up. Like someone said, he'll be drafted but it'll be later, and it'll take a top program to get him to turn up.

He looks like a special talent that's for sure.

Petey3329

May 27, 2008
I watched him a bunch over the last two years. Definitely a great player. His sister is quite the hockey player as well. I always ask myself if he is "elite" talent. I can't tell because his teams always under achieved. I feel like an elite talent would help push there team out of mediocrity. I remember watch Matt duchess at the same age on COW he was dominate and always got his team into the OMHAs I see a lot of newhook in him but at the same time don't see the game breaker. That's just me tho. I hope he does amazing wherever he goes. Super nice kid.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Halifax seems quite high on him but they won't use their 4th unless he's guaranteed to show up. Like someone said, he'll be drafted but it'll be later, and it'll take a top program to get him to turn up.

He looks like a special talent that's for sure.

I heard through the grape vine the Mooseheads are interested in Alex Newhook and Brent Budgell...I heard from a source close to the team they were going to visit Newhook personally with Bobby Smith and Cam Russell...if it was true or not I know from experience with my team that when they are going up they have a good package in store for the kid.

If they do talk Newhook into coming they could easily take him 2nd round and end up taking Xavier Parent or even a local guy like Bailey Peach at their position and taking Newhook 2nd round and having two top forwards report.

From the same source I heard the Mooseheads are looking at Yannik Valenti, Alexander Khovanov and Dominik Bokk for the Euro draft.....now that is from a source close to the team that I can not name, it could be all talk but he has been pretty good in the past on what the team was trying to achieve.

Last edited:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I heard through the grape vine the Mooseheads are interested in Alex Newhook and Brent Budgell...I heard from a source close to the team they were going to visit Newhook personally with Bobby Smith and Cam Russell...if it was true or not I know from experience with my team that when they are going up they have a good package in store for the kid.

If they do talk Newhook into coming they could easily take him 2nd round and end up taking Xavier Parent or even a local guy like Bailey Peach at their position and taking Newhook 2nd round and having two top forwards report.

From the same source I heard the Mooseheads are looking at Yannik Valenti, Alexander Khovanov and Dominik Bokk for the Euro draft.....now that is from a source close to the team that I can not name, it could be all talk but he has been pretty good in the past on what the team was trying to achieve.

Seeing Khovanov suit up for Halifax would be quite amazing.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

I think Khovanov, Eggenberger and Bokk will get a tonne of interest. I heard it's almost a sure thing that Bokk comes over so he is likely to report to whomever drafts him so I can imagine him going well before Halifax gets a shot. Would be quite the haul if Halifax can pull something like Khovanov, Valenti, Newhook and Parent off.

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
Dont know how much this is going to factor in down the road, but Newhook was also selected in the 2nd Round of the USHL futures draft earlier this month.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Dont know how much this is going to factor in down the road, but Newhook was also selected in the 2nd Round of the USHL futures draft earlier this month.

he could very well go USHL if the right team does not draft him, so I can see the USHL taking him high...he could very well go USA route, but I know Halifax is pitching big time to him and I'm sure other teams are as well....school is big for his family so a team like Halifax could be a big draw with 3 universities in the city. At the draft will tell though, but I would be amazing if Halifax if they are able to take him in the draft it would be amazing if they were able to take him 2nd round and take Parent or even Peach 1st round.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
he could very well go USHL if the right team does not draft him, so I can see the USHL taking him high...he could very well go USA route, but I know Halifax is pitching big time to him and I'm sure other teams are as well....school is big for his family so a team like Halifax could be a big draw with 3 universities in the city. At the draft will tell though, but I would be amazing if Halifax if they are able to take him in the draft it would be amazing if they were able to take him 2nd round and take Parent or even Peach 1st round.

If they can sway him to join that would be a steal but I don't think he is at all interested in the USHL I heard he verbally committed to Victoria in the BCHL if he decides he wants to go to Boston College. Two very different but very rewarding roads this kid could take, quite the dilemma to have as a young talented player.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Taken 41st by Halifax

Figured they'd take him. The only team with a real shot of having him play for them. I think it's far fetched for them even. A good asset to hold regardless. If Blainville end up moving to NL next year they're going to push hard to convince him to move home to play and Halifax are going to ask for some good pieces to make that happen.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Things like this are the reason the Q is so top heavy. He probably comes at some point and the Moosheads destroy everyone. Ontario has enough depth that if a kid doesn't want to report, theres still talent available to make your team strong. In the Q not so much, this kills the smaller franchises when kids only want to go to Quebec, Saint John, Halifax, Rimouski.

Last edited:

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Things like this are the reason the Q is so top heavy. He probably comes at some point and the Moosheads destroy everyone. Ontario has enough depth that if a kid doesn't want to report, theres still talent available to make your team strong. In the Q not so much, this kills the smaller franchises when kids only want to go to Quebec, Halifax, Rimouski.

The Sea Dogs GM back in the day said publicly that prospects should sign a waiver before draft day saying that they are committed to playing in the league no matter what team drafts them. If they don't sign a waiver they can't be drafted.

I think it's a good idea. Time after time we see the same organizations pick the top talent available. If a prospect doesn't want to play for a certain team they just use the NCAA route to force a trade. (eg. MacKinnon).

What's the point of the draft if top players can manipulate where they go. They might as well go to a recruitment system like the NCAA.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
The Sea Dogs GM back in the day said publicly that prospects should sign a waiver before draft day saying that they are committed to playing in the league no matter what team drafts them. If they don't sign a waiver they can't be drafted.

I think it's a good idea. Time after time we see the same organizations pick the top talent available. If a prospect doesn't want to play for a certain team they just use the NCAA route to force a trade. (eg. MacKinnon).

What's the point of the draft if top players can manipulate where they go. They might as well go to a recruitment system like the NCAA.

The amount of talent the Q would miss out on in this case would be nuts... Drouin+MacKinnon+Lafreniere+Poulin+Green+MacIsaac+Sprong+Roy (Off the top of my head) All in recent years would have never signed that waiver. All of whom said they wouldn't play (or would only play) in certain cities..

I'm not saying it's fair prospects do this, but if the league tried to control it in any way they'd lose so much talent it'd be nuts

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
The amount of talent the Q would miss out on in this case would be nuts... Drouin+MacKinnon+Lafreniere+Poulin+Green+MacIsaac+Sprong+Roy (Off the top of my head) All in recent years would have never signed that waiver. All of whom said they wouldn't play (or would only play) in certain cities..

I'm not saying it's fair prospects do this, but if the league tried to control it in any way they'd lose so much talent it'd be nuts

That's fine but understand the league will be one of "Have" and "Have nots".

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Even if they did sign that waiver they could still refuse to report after the draft and force his team to trade him to a powerhouse though

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Even if they did sign that waiver they could still refuse to report after the draft and force his team to trade him to a powerhouse though

Yeah the only way to really make it effective is to get the USHL/NCAA/BCHL/AJHL Etc.. to agree to uphold the terms of the waiver and they are never gonna do that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad