C Alex Newhook - Victoria Grizzlies, BCHL (2019, 16th, COL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I watched a few games of his from youtube last year. Really slick stickhandler, good shot, high IQ.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Watched him live the other night. He's awesome. His hands and playmaking are top notch, and has a pretty good shot. Skates really well from an aesthetic and technical viewpoint but from what I saw, could use some more strength/balance (he is 16 so that will come). He's a very smart player and his IQ allows him to see holes in defense quite handily. Unfortunately however, none of the Grizzlies' forwards can keep up with his smarts.

Gonna catch some more games of him this year. Very refreshing to have a top prospect locally in town. He's gonna be a high pick in the 2019 NHL draft for sure.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Top 16 year old's in the league that past 2 seasons finished with 27 and 26 points respectively.

Newhook has 21 through the first 19 games. His next closest teammate has 17 points.

Turris had 72 points in 54 games as a 16 year old, Jost had 45 points in 46 games as a 16 year old. Turris finished 3rd in team scoring, Jost finished 4th (best point per game)

He's in very good company thus far. Should have a massive 17 year old season.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
On an absolute tear in December. Has 9 points through his past 2.5 games.

Hopefully will grow an inch or two. Supremely skilled.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Is he expected to by the #1 pick in the QMJHL draft?

Already drafted to the Q, committed to Boston College. Has one more season with the Grizzlies before heading there. I expect he will put up Jost like numbers in his draft year. Already putting up better numbers than Jost did in his draft -1 year in Penticton. Will likely hit 2 PPG next year. 10 points in his last 3 games. Great skater, even better hands.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Anyone think he'll get sick of Jr. A and jump to the CHL? Or is he set on NCAA?

Hard to say. Mooseheads probably went hard at him in the summer but if they couldn't get him to budge then they likely won't be able to now.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
He was invited to the Canada West training camp, just didn't make it this year.

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
Can't be a superstar and not even make the west WJAC. Didn't two other 2001's make it? Has to be either on of two things.
Either he's not as good as people think.
Or he has an attitude problem and they just cut him to keep him out of the dressing room. I am guessing he's just not that good. Anyone have an explanation? Could be another Merkley attitude issue?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Can't be a superstar and not even make the west WJAC. Didn't two other 2001's make it? Has to be either on of two things.
Or he has an attitude problem and they just cut him to keep him out of the dressing room. I am guessing he's just not that good. Anyone have an explanation? Could be another Merkley attitude issue?
Newhook has been battling some injuries, though I'm not sure that factored into anything.

Neither one, he has a great attitude, and he's as good as everyone thinks.

Harrison Blaisdell made it as an 01'. He has 14 points compared to Newhooks 35 in the same league.
Dylan Holloway made it as an 01'. He has 23 points in the AJHL.

He will likely be invited to the U-18 camp as a 16 year old should Victoria be out of the running.

He is having the best 16 year old season in the BCHL in more than a decade, and it isn't on the back of someone else. He is leading his team in scoring by quite a large margin, and is the only one over a PPG.

He is 10 points off Jost's totals in his 16 year old season and it's only December.

Last edited:

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
Sorry. Not buying it. Everyone is sore, has little injuries. If he is leading the other 2001's by that margin, it only raises red flags higher. IF he is that much better, he shouldn't have been cut. There has to be an issue.

Reactions: BondraTime

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Sorry. Not buying it. Everyone is sore, has little injuries. If he is leading the other 2001's by that margin, it only raises red flags higher. IF he is that much better, he shouldn't have been cut. There has to be an issue.
Fair enough, you can think what you like without watching him, or having any of the information.

Ask anyone who watches if Blaisdale or Holloway are better than Newhook, and you will get 0 answers outside of Newhook.

Last edited:
Reactions: Acadien86

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Assuming the problem is on the kid and not on the coaches? Coaches make mistakes too.. What a weird thing to say of a 16 years old kid.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014

Quick question - how many games have you watched Newhook play in? You don't seem to be working off of much more than some half baked guestimates. But, I suppose you admitted as much near the end of your post...

Reactions: 99664987

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
I see. It's the coaches mistake. Hockey Canada mistake. If I asked the coaches of team Canada, would there be 0 answers outside of Newhook? I guess they are the only ones who would've made this mistake. I am not saying there is a character issue. I am merely asking if he is as good as you say, why is he not on Canada West? It's a valid question. BTW, I have seen him play. I agree he is good. Hence the question. You

Reactions: BondraTime

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012

I see. It's the coaches mistake. Hockey Canada mistake. If I asked the coaches of team Canada, would there be 0 answers outside of Newhook? I guess they are the only ones who would've made this mistake. I am not saying there is a character issue. I am merely asking if he is as good as you say, why is he not on Canada West? It's a valid question. BTW, I have seen him play. I agree he is good. Hence the question. You

Sooo... if you saw him play and think he's just not that good, why would you bring the attitude issue?

Also, I've never said it was the coaches mistake. I implied that the coaches could have made a mistake; but you on the other side, seem to think it's not possible.

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
Admittedly I have seen 4 games. So, that is why I am asking. Not implying. Either he wasn't good enough to make the team or there is something else. What is there to understand? It's a valid question. If you don't have an answer, then that is fine. I can live with that.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yeah, I would think that a vast majority of Hockey Canada would agree that Newhook is higher on their list.

Come the U-18's this season, he will likely be invited to camp as an 01' while the other 2 guys on Team West in all likelihood will not.

Same goes for the Hlinka.

I wouldn't look too far into him not playing for team west.

Last edited:

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It's an odd cut for sure. It's not because the kid lacks talent and I haven't heard anything about attitude issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad