C Alex Newhook - Boston College, NCAA (2019, 16th, COL) Part 2

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I will be sure to frequently remind everyone I had him top-5 in 2019 over the forthcoming years. :naughty:

In all seriousness, kid’s a stud and his development curve has been pointed straight up ever since he was 14. I think he will become a top-30 C in the NHL...but it seems he’s already top-6 quality and he’s cost controlled for three seasons. Absolutely ridiculous team Colorado has there. Need to see the playoff results but their next decade is blindingly bright.
I had him 3rd too.

Feels good man.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
He had the most impressive freshmen debut above the likes of Zegras while playing on the 3rd line and 2nd pp for the majority of the season. He flashed more of his dynamic skating ability last (some avs fans were saying his skating wasn't going to be so good compared to the nhl level), I think right now he's just adjusting to the speed of the game and taking things slow.

What? Newhook looks like he’s going to be a great player but I have no idea what you’re basing this on.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
Better college performance. Better professional-level performance so far, too, in their minuscule sample sizes.

What? Zegras professional performance has easily been better, AHL and NHL.

I’m not sure what their college career has to do with anything, unless that poster literally meant he had a better freshman year at college which would be a strange thing to bring up at this point.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
What? Zegras professional performance has easily been better, AHL and NHL.

I’m not sure what their college career has to do with anything, unless that poster literally meant he had a better freshman year at college which would be a strange thing to bring up at this point.

It’s not that crazy. Newhook’s PPG in the AHL and NHL are similar to Zegras and Newhook has looked as good as Zegras in the AHL games I’ve seen. Newhook is less dynamic but he’s a great all round C like ROR.

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Sorry for the weird question but where would you rank or slot in Newhook in this upcoming draft? Best forward in the draft over Beniers Johnson Geunther Eklund etc?

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
It’s not that crazy. Newhook’s PPG in the AHL and NHL are similar to Zegras and Newhook has looked as good as Zegras in the AHL games I’ve seen. Newhook is less dynamic but he’s a great all round C like ROR.

By what measurable statistic was Newhook better as a pro this year?

I’m also a Ducks fan who lives in Denver and has season tickets to the AVs so I’m invested in both players. Newhook has looked very good to start his pro career but Zegras’ was easily better. Zegras ended the season as the Ducks top center, went head to head against the opposition’s top checkers, produce at a PPG pace, and centered the only line that tilted the ice in the Ducks favor.

Newhook looks to be a good one but saying he had a better start to his pro-career is just false.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
By what measurable statistic was Newhook better as a pro this year?

I’m also a Ducks fan who lives in Denver and has season tickets to the AVs so I’m invested in both players. Newhook has looked very good to start his pro career but Zegras’ was easily better. Zegras ended the season as the Ducks top center, went head to head against the opposition’s top checkers, produce at a PPG pace, and centered the only line that tilted the ice in the Ducks favor.

Newhook looks to be a good one but saying he had a better start to his pro-career is just false.

I’m only saying it’s not a crazy idea. Zegras had some rough first games in the NHL as a winger before he returned to the AHL to play center. Newhook didn’t play enough NHL games to form a real opinion but early stats are similar. He was definitely a pain in the ass against the Condors so I was glad he was called up.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I always compared Newhook to Krebs. Zegras I compare to Hughes, no idea why he dropped to 9. Canucks board was party central when Oilers had a brain fart and picked Broberg over Zegras. Then Anaheim had to ruin the party.

Avs have their second line C for years to come in Newhook. He will give a way more consistent effort than Kadri. You cannot rely on a guy like that.

Last edited:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
True.

But their play styles are somewhat similar.

I'm not sure what my actual rankings were. Newhook was top 10, probably 9 or 10.
I was hoping the ducks grabbed him or boldly at 9.... but I didn’t expect zegras available.... excited to see how he does during this playoff run... and with kadri out the next 8 games.... he’s got a huge opportunity

Reactions: Kalv

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I was hoping the ducks grabbed him or boldly at 9.... but I didn’t expect zegras available.... excited to see how he does during this playoff run... and with kadri out the next 8 games.... he’s got a huge opportunity
Yeah I don’t see the point of comparing them as an Avalanche fan since Zegras wasn’t available. You get a good player, it’s not worth picking at.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Its kinda disgusting that the aves are able to grab a player like Newhook despite being a top team in the league already
They weren’t at the time. :naughty:

If that goal in game 7 versus San Jose doesn’t get waived off on a technicality, the Avalanche drop from 16 to 28 in the draft. Probably don’t have Newhook available.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaah

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2015
I remember a few years ago there was talk of Newhook potentially being a 1 OV contender (before Hughes and the other Americans started shattering records in their draft year). Just goes to show how strong the '19 draft could end up looking 10 years down the road.

PowerMac

Dec 20, 2019
I was talking about their freshmen seasons in college where Newhook put up 42 points (19+23) in 34 games playing on the third line and 2nd pp unit for most it compared to Zegras who put up only 36 points (11+25) in 33 games playing in a featured role for his team. Yet people still hyped up Zegras way more than Newhook.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I was talking about their freshmen seasons in college where Newhook put up 42 points (19+23) in 34 games playing on the third line and 2nd pp unit for most it compared to Zegras who put up only 36 points (11+25) in 33 games playing in a featured role for his team. Yet people still hyped up Zegras way more than Newhook.
They hyped him up because he is a better player. Stats don't always tell the whole story which is why people that saw zegras play knew he would be a stud and were able to predict his progression.

Reactions: Our Lady Peace

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
They weren’t at the time. :naughty:

If that goal in game 7 versus San Jose doesn’t get waived off on a technicality, the Avalanche drop from 16 to 28 in the draft. Probably don’t have Newhook available.
I won't get over that goal until we win the cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad